• Jun 13th, 2020 10:12 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2892 posts
720 upvotes
Mars

the new x1 extreme won't power up

just received my x1 extreme couple of hours ago, plug in while downloading some softwares. when it showed 100% charged 5 mins ago, i unplugged the power, the laptop just shut off totally in 1 sec. and won't power up when I pressed the power button, even when I plug back in the power cord, it still won't power up. nothing on screen, total black.
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2892 posts
720 upvotes
Mars
damn it. it is a defective unit, apparently. just got off the phone with the tech support. first he told me to hold down a pin/needle through a tiny hole on the back for about 30 seconds, he said probably because the computer did not charge or discharge properly.

then it looks working when i power it up, but only showed the Lenovo logo, never get to the windows. he then told me to press f10 while power up to get into diagnostic screen to test the hard drive, which passed, then he told that must be windows corrupted, so press f11 to reset (to factory state, wiping everything out) and i'm still waiting to get this reinstalled.

for christ sake, i just got it for less than 4 hours!

so much for Lenovo quality. i will definitely return this one, asking for a replacement if not taking too long.

check your Lenovo when you get it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2892 posts
720 upvotes
Mars
it happens every time i plug in the power cable and unplug it. 3 times in a row. what a crap!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7030 posts
1363 upvotes
Toronto
It was advertised as being extreme and indeed it is extreme.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Jul 20, 2016
258 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario
how disappointing, sorry op. qc on those sounds terrible.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2892 posts
720 upvotes
Mars
it's definitely a defective one. I have also noticed the battery dropped very quickly, 100% charged after resetting/re-installing the windows (less than an hour) dropped to 68%. and again 100% using about an hour for downloading softwares such as ccleaner to set up the system, dropped to about 85%, and telling me about 2.5 hours left. Waiting a month and exciting when I powered on, now became a headache. I simply don't have the mood to wait another month or even longer given the x'mas to get a replacement.

i will buy a surface pro or an mbp next year. screw lenovo.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11340 posts
7645 upvotes
Edmonton
ConceptPro wrote: how disappointing, sorry op. qc on those sounds terrible.
One bad computer is hardly grounds for “terrible action”... Stuff happens.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2892 posts
720 upvotes
Mars
CNeufeld wrote: One bad computer is hardly grounds for “terrible action”... Stuff happens.

C
Though I was very pissed off yesterday after almost 1 month waiting, in all fairness, I totally agree with you that you could get defective units from any company, lenovo, dell, acer, asus, samsung, apple... I had a defective unit from samsung couple of years back. the irony is I just defended Lenovo on cancellation of the T730 2 days ago.

However, what made me upset and worry about doing business with Lenovo was the way they handle the issue, both tech support and customer service, when I called in. I am not gonna say I will never do business with them anymore, but I will be very cautious and only when Lenovo's price is a much better deal.

Just sharing some experience with you guys in case you have to deal with them for any problems.

1. first time called in tech support (see posts above), didn't wait too long though, less than 5 mins, the guy was ok if not great.

2. when I plug and unplug and it shut off again (but after did that push down a pin in tiny hole for 30 seconds I could reboot into windows, didn't have to reset/reinstall windows though), with my case number given to me by the 1st guy, I called in again. however, the 2nd guy told me there was no notes left, only "no power". that was ridiculous, i was on the phone with the 1st guy for almost 45 mins, he at least should have left some description of the problem so i don't have to repeat every time when I called in, not just "no power". i asked the 2nd guy to take a good look, then he told me "oh, sorry, I found it, yeah yeah, described here".

now the first 2 tech support had some accents, like south asian part, which was very hard for me to understand their english, especially the 2nd one. So i could not even get their names down right.

3. after i got off the phone with the 2nd one, i was thinking, hey, would this happen every time i plug and unplug, it's ridiculous i have to travel with this laptop with a push-down pin and flip the it over to push the pin for 30 seconds every time i unplug the power cord. so i tried couple of boots, and plug and unplug, it worked fine if i just power it up, but once you plug the power cord, you have to do push-down-a-pin trick. since i have waited a month, I called in for 3rd time, this time I asking to speak to a supervisor, in desperate wishful thinking, I wish a better trained person could tell me how to fix this problem, maybe change setting here and there etc to fix it so i could keep it.

The girl who answered phone, named Jasmine (her accent sounded like a black but was very easy to understand so there was no miscommunication between us for sure), and she insisted that there was NO NOTES whatsoever, except "no power". i asked her how came the 2nd one could find the notes. she then got impatient and irritated, did all those routine craps that those CS reps do all the time when you asking for a manager/supervisor, "what's your problem? maybe I can help you" I don't want to repeat again and again, it's a waste of my time and your time. even after I briefed her the problems, "oh, there is NO supervisor available at this time" "I could arrange a call-back in 24-48 BUSINESS HOURS". at this point, I had enough of Lenovo shit. I will have to return the unit.

4. I called in the Sales number that the first tech guy gave to me. "oh, this is sales, for returns, call customer service". then I simply got hangup.

5. I called CS number found online, the girl talked to me, Lyn, who said she was in Philippines, asked me tons of stupid questions and trying hard to make me place for a "replacement", but when I asked how long it will take for the replacement to come, she said "you have to place an order first, monday you will get an email, then some one will call you/email you, you can ask them". I said forget it, I will NOT place an order without knowing or at least having an idea when it will arrive because I am going out of the country next month. Within 4 hours of receiving this X1E, I was on the phone with Lenovo for more than 2 hours. I was very upset at this point. So I told Lyn, instead of placing an order for replacement, I'd rather file an complain, I would like to talk to your manager. Then again, she did what Jasmine did before, and I insisted and after about 30 mins wait, a manager came online, and this where it became beyond ridicule. (Lyn's english was quite understandable though)

6. the manager told me her name is MARK, and I double check the spell with her, M-A-R-K, because she clearly sounded a woman. And she told me she was "credit card manager of Lenovo", and I confirmed this twice with her too. because i was expecting a CS manager, she told me she also takes care of CS and she had the authority of taking care of customer complains. she told me her direct number, which I googled found it was in Reighly, NC, USA. but Lyn who told me she was in a Philippine calling centre was right next to her, which she told me later.

She was very rude and impatient at the beginning of the conversation, kept interrupting me. what she sounded was, hey, if it was defective, just return it, what's your problem? Only after she learned that I have had numerous purchases during last couple of years both for me and on behalf of my company, she shut up and "listen" to me. Only after couple of mins I found that she did NOT listen to my complain AT ALL. She put down the headphone and mute my voice! As I didn't not hear any response after couple of mins, I thought I was cutoff but no signals and could hear the background talking between her and (possibly Lyn) "is he still talking" and I "hello" couple of time, I asked her are you listening, she first said yes, then she said she was on something, muted HER voice, well I heard their talking, so she MUTED my voice, not her voice. A manager lying straight to my face right in front of her employees! and when I asked to talk to her boss, she told me "I am the manager here, there is no manager". "so you telling me you are the boss, and you have no boss" "yes, no boss".

I still believe X1E is a top-notch laptop and $1643 + tax is a very good deal. But I simply can NOT trust a company with such low-life employees who lie blatantly to your face.
Last edited by forgetpwd on Dec 15th, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5600 posts
2789 upvotes
Mississauga
OP should post this on other social media and reach out to one of those consumer advocates like Pat Foran on CFTO. The CS experience was downright atrocious.

You can be sure when Thinkpad was under IBM control customers wouldn’t have to put up with this crap.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2892 posts
720 upvotes
Mars
mrweather wrote: OP should post this on other social media and reach out to one of those consumer advocates like Pat Foran on CFTO. The CS experience was downright atrocious.

You can be sure when Thinkpad was under IBM control customers wouldn’t have to put up with this crap.
don't take me wrong, but sometimes when you outsourcing the calls to other parts of the world whose work ethics or maybe just culture difference is notable enough to make the experience unpleasant, to say the least.
with this said, I also have to say during last decade or so, the CS, in almost all business, from airport staffs to credit cards, from cables to store cashiers, in both Canada and USA has been going straight down south, and I have always enjoyed the service in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, which in my personal experience, have always had the highest satisfaction in the world when it comes to CS.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1180 posts
180 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
I'm about to buy my 7th Lenovo and 5th ThinkPad in 11 years and I've seen Lenovos' customer service go from really good to pretty awful.

I also haven't had very good luck with 2 out of the last 3 Thinkpads but I still like their laptops for my purposes and I'm definitely going to be buying additional on site warranty coverage.

The Oled screen in my X1 yoga 2nd generation failed just out of warranty and Lenovo didn't want anything to do with me once they found out I wasn't under their warranty (there's virtually no supply for replacement OLED screens). Fortunately I had an extended warranty under my credit card and after a painfully long time, they agreed to reimburse me for another laptop up to the full purchase price. So I have about $2550 to go shopping with. Leaning towards the X1 Extreme too...
"The world has moved on."
Roland the Gunslinger
Jan 4, 2018
5 posts
Did you ever resolve the "won't power up" issue? My x1 extreme gen 1 (4k screen)...expensive...new in box unopened. Warranty had run out 2 days prior. I opened it up and battery is charged. If I unplug the AC adapter the computer immediately shuts off. Won't boot on battery either. Battery diagnostics report fine. But x1 extreme is dead when it comes to battery. Unplugged and replugged the battery connector...pushed all the reset buttons many times....is this a $2000 write off?