Vancouver, BC

$4/month CAD for a year

Deal Link:
Savings:
80% off
Retailer:
New York Times
*** Mod Warning - Threadcrapping will result in account infractions ***

The price is regular 20.00/month for online version. I thought it was a good deal as its in canadian.
Last edited by Redmask on May 29th, 2020 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added warning
81 replies
Nov 10, 2018
62 posts
21 upvotes
Good price. No option to cancel online though, must call in so a bit difficult if you don't want to sub anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2326 posts
1143 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
If you have a Toronto library card.. you can get this for free.
This space for rent.
May 15, 2009
152 posts
344 upvotes
Ottawa
doctorgonzo wrote: Does this include the recipe site?
Unfortunately, no.

I am currently a basic subscriber paying 1CAD+HST. When it was time to renew, I did an online chat with them and was able to get the same price again. You don’t have to call in.
Dec 3, 2003
229 posts
53 upvotes
I’m a NYT subscriber and get great value for money. The articles are in-depth and they are one of the few newspapers left with financial resources to do investigative reporting.

Great deal and keep supporting publishers!
Jul 28, 2007
570 posts
900 upvotes
Calgary
porksoda wrote: Why would you or anyone want to read NYT?

Ignoring the irrelevant comments about "fake news".
I read it because it offers some of the best reporting in the world.
Feb 26, 2009
271 posts
62 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Thanks this is a great deal...I listen to the daily which is great investigative journalism. Don't mind supporting them to continue.

You should always get your news from numerous sources. Everyone is biased in one way or another .
AKA "canadude" :arrow: Howard Forums
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13042 posts
2408 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
A rip off. You can get the NYTimes for FREE via Toronto Public Library site. There was a thread about 2 yrs ago where you can get it for free. Just have to sign-in every 3 days as it bumps you out. No biggie. Just BM the page.

UPDATE: Checked my BM. Still works. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jun 24, 2016
375 posts
314 upvotes
There is an even cheaper deal technically. Use VPN, sign up for NYTimes from a country with very low GDP. After a month, you'll get cold emails for NYT subscriptions as low as $5 USD for 3 months.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13042 posts
2408 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Omesuri wrote: There is an even cheaper deal technically. Use VPN, sign up for NYTimes from a country with very low GDP. After a month, you'll get cold emails for NYT subscriptions as low as $5 USD for 3 months.
Nothing is cheaper than FREE. Method via TPL is free. See post above. No VPN required.
Jun 24, 2016
375 posts
314 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: A rip off. You can get the NYTimes for FREE via Toronto Public Library site. There was a thread about 2 yrs ago where you can get it for free. Just have to sign-in every 3 days as it bumps you out. No biggie. Just BM the page.

UPDATE: Checked my BM. Still works. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Here's a different take. Quality journalism isn't free, if you want it to survive. There's nothing stopping you from simply installing Bypass Paywalls Add-on or using Outline. At this point, it's mostly a good will gesture. You certainly aren't obligated to pay for journalism, but don't expect it to survive otherwise if the NYT becomes clickbait.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13042 posts
2408 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Omesuri wrote: Here's a different take. Quality journalism isn't free, if you want it to survive. There's nothing stopping you from simply installing Bypass Paywalls Add-on or using Outline. At this point, it's mostly a good will gesture. You certainly aren't obligated to pay for journalism, but don't expect it to survive otherwise if the NYT becomes clickbait.
Obviously TPL pays them for the access (under educational programs yada, yada). They offer the access - I take advantage. Blame TPL. Point blank.
Jun 24, 2016
375 posts
314 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: Obviously TPL pays them for the access (under educational programs yada, yada). They offer the access - I take advantage. Blame TPL. Point blank.
Obviously you have every right to take advantage. Don't act holier than thou just because you saved a few dollars from a public service.

Just my two cents. There's a line between making use of something your tax dollars paid for and acting selfish and entitled for the sake of it. Besides, you're short sighted enough to think everyone lives in the confines of Toronto.