New York Times

$4/month CAD for a year

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2020 10:54 am
Tags:
Sep 15, 2018
93 posts
129 upvotes
bibe1547 wrote: If you are a student you can get it for 2 cad.

https://www.nytimes.com/subscription/ed ... gnId=6JQ7F
I went for the student All-Access at CA$6, which includes the Crosswords and Cooking sections. I've had it for over a year now, and my account doesn't show an expiration for the rate nor a reminder to renew my student eligibility. Hoping I can keep this for life.
May 15, 2020
29 posts
84 upvotes
am on a 10$ retention subscription and they said its for new clients only.. debating to cancel and using another email for this deal...
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1156 posts
15713 upvotes
North York, ON
Msg rec'd just now when trying tpl.ca free link:

"NYTimes.com Pass Limit Reached
The NYTimes.com Passes provided by your organization are all in use. Please try again soon."
Billy Ocean is a musical genius!
Jan 25, 2020
153 posts
853 upvotes
I feel like to effort to have to call in to cancel and probably deal with all of that is just not worth the price... Maybe someone can chime in with their cancellation experience.
May 15, 2020
29 posts
84 upvotes
fredean01 wrote: I feel like to effort to have to call in to cancel and probably deal with all of that is just not worth the price... Maybe someone can chime in with their cancellation experience.
from my experience, when you call in and cancel, they will try to give you a retention offer. the retention offer was decent and comparable to this deal..
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4555 posts
429 upvotes
I went on live chat... Tried to get the deal, denied. Told them I would just cancel then. They sent me to someone else.

He offered me 8.00 per month. I showed him this deal, and he gave it to me.
May 18, 2010
115 posts
174 upvotes
destrod wrote: from my experience, when you call in and cancel, they will try to give you a retention offer. the retention offer was decent and comparable to this deal..
I used their sms chat to cancel. I was offered another year of the deal. Very easy to do if you get free texting to the US. No hassle at all.
The deal is fantastic value in any case, and I'd argue that a few minutes of a phone call in a year is really not much of a hassle these days.
Happy reading!
Jul 13, 2014
83 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
SneakyPete wrote: How do they verify?
They use a third party site called SheerID. Spotify uses them IIRC.
Dec 23, 2015
365 posts
236 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Omesuri wrote: Here's a different take. Quality journalism isn't free, if you want it to survive. There's nothing stopping you from simply installing Bypass Paywalls Add-on or using Outline. At this point, it's mostly a good will gesture. You certainly aren't obligated to pay for journalism, but don't expect it to survive otherwise if the NYT becomes clickbait.

This deal is basically the same as the student deal. No access to the crossword though.
Last edited by Redmask on May 29th, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed political portion of comment
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11818 posts
6883 upvotes
Markham
insightcreative wrote: Fantastic value - long time subscriber I pay $10 / month and it’s worth every penny to me.

Journalism isn’t free to produce - please don’t steal it.
Does this subscription include their opinion column?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13618 posts
2979 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Omesuri wrote:
Besides, you're short sighted enough to think everyone lives in the confines of Toronto.
LOLz and TPL website cant be accessed outside of the GTA?? Ok, boomer.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Aug 25, 2011
169 posts
244 upvotes
BURLINGTON
I think this is the best deal I have gotten from RFD.
I wish it included the cooking and crossword - but still a great deal.
I just renewed. You do have to call to avoid the bump to full price. I create a reminder in my Google calendar so I don't forget. The online chat appears to be permanently closed. However, they have a call back option and they really did call back in about 20 minutes.
I wish Canadian newspapers had as good a deal. I got a discounted rate for the Globe, but not nearly as cheap.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2007
1019 posts
1759 upvotes
Calgary
I can't believe 53 people have downvoted this deal.

Like 10 years ago it cost a few hundred bucks to access the NYT iirc.

If you don't agree with the politics then don't read the editorials, but to stay up to date on world affairs it's either this or The Economist imo, and The Economist is definitely more ideologically driven.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2009
1143 posts
1162 upvotes
I bought a shared account from eBay for $6 for whole year. I am already 8 months in and no issues.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
3715 posts
4608 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: A rip off. You can get the NYTimes for FREE via Toronto Public Library site. There was a thread about 2 yrs ago where you can get it for free. Just have to sign-in every 3 days as it bumps you out. No biggie. Just BM the page.

UPDATE: Checked my BM. Still works. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Its a big country.. not everyone lives in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
3715 posts
4608 upvotes
Redmask wrote: Folks if you don't like the deal then vote and move on. Threadcrapping and attempting to insert your politics into Hot Deals is not going to fly, we have special forums for that already.
Gotta ask...what is THREADCRAPPING exactly? "Crapping" on a deal because one doesnt like it?
IE- going to increase the font as I read THREADSCAPPING
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1924 posts
1005 upvotes
Toronto
The downvotes in this thread are baffling. I've been on the $4 CAD / month deal for a while now, and am happy to pay for quality journalism. And at that price it seems like a steal. And yes, I also subscribe to local / Canadian papers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)