$4/month CAD for a year

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2020 10:54 am
Tags:
Apr 25, 2012
55 posts
107 upvotes
London
KravenHead wrote: Gotta ask...what is THREADCRAPPING exactly? "Crapping" on a deal because one doesnt like it?
IE- going to increase the font as I read THREADSCAPPING
See discussion here: what-considered-thread-crapping-rfd-forums-1317933/
I had to look it up too. Basically seems like ~"hijacking a thread by turning it into an argument, inserting inflammatory opinions, etc"
Oct 4, 2010
255 posts
209 upvotes
Torontoish
FYI: NYT (basic) is also free through Hamilton Public Library.
Apr 25, 2012
55 posts
107 upvotes
London
aznnorth wrote: LOLz and TPL website cant be accessed outside of the GTA?? Ok, boomer.
Actually, it certainly looks like you need a TPL card and online password to access it via the library website...
https://pasteboard.co/JaDAbva.png

...and to get those, you need a proven Toronto address. I mean, it's easy enough to get around (library will send a postcard to an address you give them to confirm your residence, which you could have them send to a friend in your name e.g.) but 1) I don't advocate that (it's kinda a fraud on the taxpayers and residents of Toronto), though would probably be sympathetic in cases of real need where you have no library access in your hometown, and 2) it's such an effort just to save, what, $4 a month?

That said, if you absolutely wanna save ~60 cents a month, follow OP's link using a VPN server in the UK and the offer is £2/mo. ≈ $3.40 CAD, subject of course to FX volatility.

But IMHO, $4 or even more is well worth it for what you're getting. No question the NYT has its faults (see Judith Miller and WMD/Iraq fiasco, among many, and -- much as Trump deserves as much critique as can be -- their sometimes facile ways to make him seem like he's so much worse than any other president *ever* on every front) but few if any English-language newspapers still invest as much as they do into original, investigative, in-depth journalism these days.
Last edited by mercatorduty on May 29th, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 15, 2018
93 posts
129 upvotes
fredean01 wrote: I feel like to effort to have to call in to cancel and probably deal with all of that is just not worth the price... Maybe someone can chime in with their cancellation experience.
I cancelled via live chat, and they offered me a retention deal. I still said no, and they cancelled right away. I think it took about 30 minutes, including the time to wait for an agent.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2007
1166 posts
464 upvotes
Montreal
Omesuri wrote: Here's a different take. Quality journalism isn't free, if you want it to survive. There's nothing stopping you from simply installing Bypass Paywalls Add-on or using Outline. At this point, it's mostly a good will gesture. You certainly aren't obligated to pay for journalism, but don't expect it to survive otherwise if the NYT becomes clickbait.
Amen. But it's one of those things where people later realize its true value only after it's gone.

At some point, quality infomation may become an exclusivity for the rich, like quality food or quality education.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
TheImp wrote: If you have a Toronto library card.. you can get this for free.
yes, and not jut Toronto. I am sure most large municipalities subscribe to this kind of stuff. in fact, I wouldn't be surprised that almost anywhere where there is a public library you can get access to subscription based newspapers online.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
Dunderhead wrote: I can't believe 53 people have downvoted this deal.

Like 10 years ago it cost a few hundred bucks to access the NYT iirc.

If you don't agree with the politics then don't read the editorials, but to stay up to date on world affairs it's either this or The Economist imo, and The Economist is definitely more ideologically driven.
I am guessing its not about NYT, it's about the deal. most of us have access to it for free. visit your local library. online.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11788 posts
6843 upvotes
Markham
elfion wrote: I am guessing its not about NYT, it's about the deal. most of us have access to it for free. visit your local library. online.
I think it's about NYT itself. Every newspaper deal got a lot downvotes, just check Toronto Star or Globe and Mail deal
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
smartie wrote: I think it's about NYT itself. Every newspaper deal got a lot downvotes, just check Toronto Star or Globe and Mail deal
...which are probably also available for free via your local public library
Dec 3, 2003
245 posts
73 upvotes
bealuna wrote: I went for the student All-Access at CA$6, which includes the Crosswords and Cooking sections. I've had it for over a year now, and my account doesn't show an expiration for the rate nor a reminder to renew my student eligibility. Hoping I can keep this for life.
Thanks for sharing, I didn’t realize upgrading was an option! I’ve been using the Cooking section and meant to look into changing my subscription. Their recipes are terrific including the maple-miso sheet pan salmon! :)
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3584 posts
7273 upvotes
Thanks OP. Very good value here for great reporting (don't read opinion pieces anywhere, I form my own based on facts). Appreciated.
Jun 24, 2016
564 posts
575 upvotes
elfion wrote: ...which are probably also available for free via your local public library
Toronto Star & Globe and Mail don't do guest passes like NYT. Globe and Mail through libraries is usually through ProQuest and on an embargo too.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3209 posts
3119 upvotes
Montreal
bealuna wrote: I think it took about 30 minutes, including the time to wait for an agent.
I think that's way too much time and is a nasty tactic that I see being used by more than a few companies.

You can end a $5000/month lease in a minute by sending an email. Why 30 mins for them?

If you can subscribe online you should be able to cancel online.

This gets particularly galling when you might have many subscription services to deal with (news, radio, podcast, movies, etc.)
[OP]
Jan 13, 2016
709 posts
353 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
There is a lot of chatter about getting it from your library. Burnaby library has something called press reader and the interface is horrible. I actually didn't see ny times there. Just having to get out my library card and having to enter my library card number and password was annoying. Good for you if you have a more progressive library but not everyone does. I also prefer the convenience of firing it up in my browser whenever i want. I'll see how often i read it and evaluate.
Jun 26, 2009
796 posts
370 upvotes
Calgary
insightcreative wrote: Fantastic value - long time subscriber I pay $10 / month and it’s worth every penny to me.

Journalism isn’t free to produce - please don’t steal it.
I don't read news much, but I do worry about journalism. With such rampant ads online and so much false "news" by noname websites and people believing just about anything they read online on their social media shares. I worry about the future of journalism.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3584 posts
7273 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote: I think that's way too much time and is a nasty tactic that I see being used by more than a few companies.

You can end a $5000/month lease in a minute by sending an email. Why 30 mins for them?

If you can subscribe online you should be able to cancel online.

This gets particularly galling when you might have many subscription services to deal with (news, radio, podcast, movies, etc.)
I agree. Use paypal when possible instead then just cancel the paypal "contract" with them. Easier for sure, but not a real solution.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2002
1819 posts
911 upvotes
Midland
bealuna wrote: I went for the student All-Access at CA$6, which includes the Crosswords and Cooking sections. I've had it for over a year now, and my account doesn't show an expiration for the rate nor a reminder to renew my student eligibility. Hoping I can keep this for life.
Anything special about their crosswords and cooking sections? Seems to be behind the paywall even with the free public library access. Do they have that most amazing muffin recipe that can’t be found anywhere else?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4705 posts
1410 upvotes
Charlottetown
Upvoted to cancel out downvote, Thanks OP.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)