• Apr 18th, 2020 8:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 20, 2007
164 posts
45 upvotes

Newbie -Gaming desktop

Hi folks,
Looking for advice/help with purchasing a gaming laptop or desktop( not sure which is better).
Will be playing games like fortnight and creating a twitch account for my youngest child. They having been playing on the PS4, and everyone who sees him playing , advises on getting a gaming rig.

I really have no clue and I don’t know anyone who into gaming to ask. Google has a lot of info and a bit overwhelming.

Cost- Want to keep it least expensive as I can.
Monitor—clueless about this as well.

Thanks in advance,
6 replies
Jan 26, 2008
751 posts
56 upvotes
Scarborough
Go to this site and look at the different builds and budgets.
There are comments so you can ask questions, look at opinions, etc.
Make your own thread when you have the parts in mind. People will guide you. Goodluck!

Desktop has better performance for less money but laptop has portability. It is not a good trade off in my opinion but it depends on what you value more. I would go to the desktop route if you are not going portable.
If you are absolutely clueless about building one, find a knowledgeable friend or ask a local store if they will build for you.
Everyone starts somewhere. I remember my first build. It took a long time to build but it was worth it for the experience.

Or you can make your life easier by looking at the used/new gaming systems on the selling forum but I cannot vouch for the reliability of the systems.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3839 posts
1043 upvotes
Getting a Desktop will be better bang for your buck for the most part. Usually will have to pay a premium for a laptop's portability. If hes looking to play AND stream from the same PC may cost you $1000+ to get something that'll run everything well. If you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse then maybe a few hundred more. Even though fortnite is not a very demanding game might as well get something that'll play other games decently.

I'd say something like this is a good starting point... https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JZNF3t customize to you own liking and budget obviously. Might need a capture card too if he's going to stream from his PS4 ?.. not sure since I don't stream/twitch. And also a webcam i guess...

If hes only ever going to play fortnite and promise not to complain in the future you might be able to tone down the video card and processor a bit and save $2-300.... or more...
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2685 posts
2342 upvotes
Technoking
Just get a keyboard and mouse for ps4 to play fortnite....or is it xbox that can do it?

Desktop pc too pricey just for that
To the moon
[OP]
Jul 20, 2007
164 posts
45 upvotes
Thank you all for your feedback.
I’ll look at pc partpicker and go from there.
Nov 14, 2008
813 posts
280 upvotes
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=138884

They use somewhat decent parts

*usual disclaimer - i don't work for canada computers - i like they use retail parts and detail them
gphammer wrote: Hi folks,
Looking for advice/help with purchasing a gaming laptop or desktop( not sure which is better).
Will be playing games like fortnight and creating a twitch account for my youngest child. They having been playing on the PS4, and everyone who sees him playing , advises on getting a gaming rig.

I really have no clue and I don’t know anyone who into gaming to ask. Google has a lot of info and a bit overwhelming.

Cost- Want to keep it least expensive as I can.
Monitor—clueless about this as well.

Thanks in advance,
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1585 posts
488 upvotes
I just bought my first gaming PC last week and looked to my brother for buying guidance as I’ve been a 30+ years console gamer (still am) He thinks I got a pretty great deal on my PC from Newegg.ca and was received in 2 business days to my house in Southern Ontario
[external link removed]