• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 12:44 pm
[OP]
Sep 12, 2006
239 posts
177 upvotes
London

Newbie Question - How can I decipher this Margin Account

Can anyone tell me how I understand this margin account?
Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.59.10 PM.png

I do have some Canadian positions.
I did have some USD positions in the past that I'm trying to forget (circa 2008).
Does this mean I have Consolidated Total Net Value - CAD Net Value available for withdrawal into straight cash?

TIA
2 replies
May 2, 2019
345 posts
317 upvotes
Vancouver
montyhall wrote: Does this mean I have Consolidated Total Net Value - CAD Net Value available for withdrawal into straight cash?
If you close your positions, then yes. Essentially it's what you'd get if you closed the account (ignoring trading commissions and price fluctuations).

If you want to keep the positions, you can withdraw at least the "Settlement Date Cash" amount without paying extra interest. There should be more available for withdrawal, but then they start charging you the margin interest on the difference. I'm guessing "Withdrawal Limit" column is what you can withdraw, possibly with a margin loan.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
5961 posts
1785 upvotes
Scarborough
Consolidated total net value is the CAD + (USD positions converted to CAD) of all the cash and other assets you have in the account. Like the above poster said, it would be what you receive if you liquidated your account and converted everything to Canadian dollars

You can withdraw the amount under "Settlement date Cash" without incurring any interest charges. If you want to withdraw more, you'll still be able to do it, provided your other assets have "loan value" which you can use as collateral against. It's usually a percentage of the market value of your assets, some assets have higher or lower loaning values (percentages) deepening on the type of asset it is.