Computers & Electronics

newbie to routers: whats a good value wireless router?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2016 11:59 pm
Tags:
None
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4452 posts
692 upvotes
What's your budget and what kind of speeds do you hope to achieve?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3632 posts
707 upvotes
Kingston
The Linksys WRT54G router is a good 10+ yrs old which means it is massively outdated by today's specs. Depending on your budget, you can get a very nice AC router that is up to today's standards, but isn't a blow you away specs wise. The Netgear R7000 and the Asus RT-N66U would probably be my recommendations. They are a few yrs old technology wise, but they are more than capable of doing what you need it to do for quite a few yrs.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2012
43 posts
1 upvote
n/a
Under $80....i mainly stream music around the house and connect to my tablet...nothing too heavy but i do have a smart tv that connects to the web wirelessly...

would an N300 be adequate?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-N300-30 ... 4997&rt=nc

and another dumb question.

I'll be using a cable modem and it connects to the router..that part i get...

could i use an adsl router like this one with the cable modem...would the rj45 plug into the adsl of the N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router for example. There seem to be a few of those on sale on craigs....

http://www.tp-link.com/lb/products/deta ... W8980.html
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ADSL routers are for ADSL internet access (i.e. over phone lines). You use cable, so no need. Just get a regular router. I can't offer any hints as to brand etc... at least not it your price range; I've only looked at higher end stuff recently,
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4659 posts
1072 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking for one too. My speed is only 50MB and I want to connect it my PS4 to play online and maybe stream some movies to the tv from my computer. Which one would be a good router?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3632 posts
707 upvotes
Kingston
Mr. Robo wrote: I'm looking for one too. My speed is only 50MB and I want to connect it my PS4 to play online and maybe stream some movies to the tv from my computer. Which one would be a good router?
As mentioned before, what's your budget? We can't advise you on what to get if we dont know your budget?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20376 posts
8416 upvotes
Toronto
willy wrote: Get this ($85) and call it a day .... http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=044938
+1 for the Asus RT-N66U. At $85, that is as budget as a router gets these days. I wish this sale was around earlier. I bought refurbished one from newegg for $69. I would not mind at all paying $15 more for a new one at a lot more warranty. Anyway, so far, I am totally impressed by the router. The Merlin firmware is absolutely rock solid and has almost the right amount of functionality. The firmware recovery mode along with the firmware recovery tool means bricking this router is virtually impossible.