PC & Video Games

newbie xbox one owner / NHL 16 question - updating rosters

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2017 8:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 27, 2003
1399 posts
420 upvotes
North York

newbie xbox one owner / NHL 16 question - updating rosters

A newbie question as I just bought a xbox one S for my son. I'm looking at possibly getting a used copy of NHL 16 but is it still possible to update tothe latest rosters either thru something online (no xbox live either) or else manually?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8726 posts
3089 upvotes
No. You could adjust the rosters manually in GM mode but players that were not in the NHL 16 game, will not be in NHL 16 unless you create a knock off player on
your own or download somebody else's created player.

For example, players like Austin Mathews will only be in NHL 17 unless maybe you download somebody's create-a-player or make your own
which probably will not closely resemble what the real life player looks like.

source:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/154846-nhl-16/74023195

If you download the newest roster update that EA released for NHL 16, which is already very outdated,
I am not sure if that would require an XBox Live subscription but I think it most likely would.

.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5455 posts
1115 upvotes
calgary
Can I suggest getting an EA Access subscription? You'll get unlimited access to EA's back catalog (ie all the old versions of nhl, madden, Fifa, ufc, and other games like mirrors edge, star wars, battlefield and more) as well as a 10 hour trial version of the latest games until they become free for 30$/year.

NHL 2017 will likely be in the vault fairly soon (ie unlimited acces) so it would probably be an incredible for both you and your son
Jr. Member
Jan 4, 2017
135 posts
26 upvotes
EA Access is useless, you will only get old game, not new game. So If you want to play lots of old game, that is good. otherwise, you should just borrow someone's game and play.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 27, 2003
1399 posts
420 upvotes
North York
thx for the replies thus far. We don't mind playing the slightly older games at this stage, as my son is still young and not too picky about the most up to date rosters/faces etc. But if I do get the EA access account, would I also need a Xbox Live account for it to work? (if we won't be playing any online multiplayer games)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5455 posts
1115 upvotes
calgary
royaljelly wrote: thx for the replies thus far. We don't mind playing the slightly older games at this stage, as my son is still young and not too picky about the most up to date rosters/faces etc. But if I do get the EA access account, would I also need a Xbox Live account for it to work? (if we won't be playing any online multiplayer games)
No you do not require XBL gold unless you intend to play online
superastworld wrote: EA Access is useless, you will only get old game, not new game. So If you want to play lots of old game, that is good. otherwise, you should just borrow someone's game and play.
He is literally asking about buying an "old game", my suggestion was to buy an EA Access subscription which would provide a lot more value over an old copy of NHL 2016.
Jr. Member
Jan 4, 2017
135 posts
26 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote: He is literally asking about buying an "old game", my suggestion was to buy an EA Access subscription which would provide a lot more value over an old copy of NHL 2016.
Yes, but I think is still better to just borrow someone's and play. besides, he also want updated rosters.
I am thinking getting a free trial, or some free return might fit for OP.
So OP can see if NHL 16 is good enough for them, or want the newest nhl 17.
and If someone is tried of this game, they will sell their game at least half price, right?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
2034 posts
440 upvotes
Birchmount & Ell…
royaljelly wrote: thx for the replies thus far. We don't mind playing the slightly older games at this stage, as my son is still young and not too picky about the most up to date rosters/faces etc. But if I do get the EA access account, would I also need a Xbox Live account for it to work? (if we won't be playing any online multiplayer games)
You dont need gold to play offline with ea access.
There are over 30 games available to play in their entirety, and any new release not in the vault you get up to a 10 hour trial.

http://www.xbox.com/en-ca/entertainment ... /ea-access
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4522 posts
1443 upvotes
Toronto
superastworld wrote: Yes, but I think is still better to just borrow someone's and play. besides, he also want updated rosters.
I am thinking getting a free trial, or some free return might fit for OP.
So OP can see if NHL 16 is good enough for them, or want the newest nhl 17.
and If someone is tried of this game, they will sell their game at least half price, right?
Unless OP has a friend who has an Xbox One and NHL 17, then the point about borrowing it is moot.

Yes, you can buy NHL 17 for about $40-50 on Kijiji... but the OP also stated they were willing to buy NHL 16 used. For just a bit more money, then buying an EA Access subscription makes more sense.

EA Access provides a free 10 hour trial of NHL 17. It also has NHL 16 for free, along with a slew of other sports and non-sports games, all for the price of one Starbucks latte a month.

The only reason to not consider this is if you have low bandwidth caps on your internet...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1

Top