• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 12:19 am
[OP]
Sep 19, 2005
188 posts
71 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Newborn Crib and Mattress

Going to be a dad and have my firstborn in a few months. Looking for suggestions for good quality and affordable baby crib and mattress.

Came across this Graco Solano 4-in-1 Convertible Crib with Drawer

and Sealy Ortho Rest Crib Mattress

Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy bunny into your
(o'.'o) signature to help him gain world
(")_(") domination.
21 replies
Oct 24, 2010
877 posts
664 upvotes
Ottawa
IMO, look for a foam mattress if you can afford it. Also, don't forget to invest in a safe mattress protector with natural materials (we've really liked our Naturepedic, but they're pricey at $90 each).

Changing sheets when your infant or toddler pukes in the middle of the night is so much easier with an 7lb foam mattress than with a heavier coil mattress, and having a pair of protectors will help with quick bedding changes. Parent tip: Put 2 layers of mattress protector + sheet so that, in the middle of the night, you can just strip off one sheet and one mattress protector and still have a protector + sheet on the bed so you're not fiddling around with putting on a new one.

Check out The Mattress Underground for advice on what specs to look for in a foam mattress.

For the crib, we've been happy for the last 2 years with a then-on-sale $80 Ikea convertible crib. It's moved twice (once across the country) and is still just fine, and we'll probably be converting it to a toddler bed the next time our tall as hell 22 month old tries climbing out of it again.
Last edited by Dynatos on May 26th, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11409 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
For both mine, just got an ikea crib. My 4 year old still uses it as a bed, and my 6 year old used it as a bed until 5. Took one of the railings out. Mattress, I just got one on Amazon. Both sleep trained excellently, still going to bed at 8 pm like they've always done.
Mar 3, 2005
298 posts
159 upvotes
Also looking for crib mattress suggestions. Was stuck on the newton, but reality is at $450 thats a little insane. Please recommend actual make and model.
:cheesygri
Mar 1, 2015
162 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Been using this KidiComfort with a Graco Stanton 4-In-1 Convertible Crib from Walmart no problems for a few years now.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1757 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
We use the Ikea Sniglar crib, which is super affordable and uses raw, unpainted wood. It's extremely popular and I would recommend it to anybody.

Foam mattresses are also the way to go. Our Sealy is double sided, firmer on one side for infants and softer for older babies.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1046 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for Ikea

I am sure the Graco one you are looking at is higher quality but we had no issues with the Ikea one. I sat on it regularly at 200lb and it showed no signs of stress or bend. Very sturdy.
Mar 31, 2019
144 posts
98 upvotes
I think you're on the right track. Get the cheapest crib and mattress. As long as the mattress fits the crib you're buying, it's going to be fine.

One pro tip though. Try to see if your crib you want to buy can lower the mattress really close to the ground. Bonus points if the crib allows you to put the mattress on the ground while still in the crib.

Our kid is 13 months and he's tall. We're kicking ourselves that we bought a crib that won't let us put the mattress on the ground. Something we would have never thought of.
Oct 24, 2010
877 posts
664 upvotes
Ottawa
canucks6024 wrote: Our kid is 13 months and he's tall. We're kicking ourselves that we bought a crib that won't let us put the mattress on the ground. Something we would have never thought of.
Us too.

We have an Ikea crib that technically is rated to 89 cm.

Our boy started climbing out at 83 cm and 18 months, so we just removed the bottom and put the mattress on the floor. Now at 22 months, he's strong enough that he might actually knock the damned thing over, so we have to put him in a toddler bed earlier than we wanted.
Jul 31, 2018
66 posts
17 upvotes
tdwtd wrote: Going to be a dad and have my firstborn in a few months. Looking for suggestions for good quality and affordable baby crib and mattress.

Came across this Graco Solano 4-in-1 Convertible Crib with Drawer

and Sealy Ortho Rest Crib Mattress

Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks.
Congratulations!

I will be a new mother too in a few months, besides baby crib, here are some other things that you'll need

-diapers
-milk bottles
-formula
-onesies
-car seat
-stroller
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4050 posts
245 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Check out the Oxford Skylar crib. It is sold at babies r us. Affordable and looks great.
Traveling 😁
May 26, 2016
26 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal
What about IKEA crib mattresses? Are they worth it or should I splurge on an expensive one?
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11191 posts
3455 upvotes
Toronto
fabs89 wrote: What about IKEA crib mattresses? Are they worth it or should I splurge on an expensive one?
I always heard that Crib is not the most important, but the mattress is.

However, I say to myself if I'm not going to sleep or use Ikea furniture myself, why would I buy it for my baby?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015