Parenting & Family

Newborn Crib and Mattress

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 12:19 am
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2868 posts
404 upvotes
I was originally going to opt for this one (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074PCHMTQ), because you can apparently breathe through the mattress itself if the baby manages to get face-down, the core is lightweight and submersible for washing.... Despite the uber-steep price.

On the other side of the coin, I came across this one which seems pretty popular (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TGXQLFT).

Still not sure which way to go.
Feb 27, 2011
110 posts
73 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: I always heard that Crib is not the most important, but the mattress is.

However, I say to myself if I'm not going to sleep or use Ikea furniture myself, why would I buy it for my baby?
Well, the flip side of this argument is that you (hopefully) don't regularly discharge various bodily fluids and solids into/onto your bed, whereas your baby likely will! :-) A crib is not an investment, and as long as it is safe and easily cleaned, you're on the right track (IMHO).

I can sort of see the logic of splurging on a more expensive mattress, although both my kids slept on Ikea crib mattresses, and turned out fine.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11191 posts
3455 upvotes
Toronto
Jayhoo wrote: I was originally going to opt for this one (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074PCHMTQ), because you can apparently breathe through the mattress itself if the baby manages to get face-down, the core is lightweight and submersible for washing.... Despite the uber-steep price.
But is it still breathable after we put the mattress protector on?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
May 26, 2016
26 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal
Quick update, I bought a SNIGLAR crib and a KRUMMELUR mattress for less than $200 in IKEA.

I did quite some research and it seems that IKEA has better and safer mattresses than big mattresses manufacturers in Europe according to rankings in France and Germany.

The KRUMMELUR mattress arrived first in a baby mattress ranking from the biggest consumer association in France.

Also, in North America and in Europe, the SNIGLAR crib received a lot of praises from consumers.

We will see when the baby will be born, but I am pretty sure that IKEA products will be fine for my little one.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2868 posts
404 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: But is it still breathable after we put the mattress protector on?
Apparently yes, as long as you use a breathable cotton sheet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6764 posts
1249 upvotes
Scarborough
maxineli wrote: Congratulations!

I will be a new mother too in a few months, besides baby crib, here are some other things that you'll need

-diapers
-milk bottles
-formula
-onesies
-car seat
-stroller
Plus sudocreme, blankets or wrap sheets, vitamin D, infant tylenol, gripe water too
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11191 posts
3455 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote: vitamin D, infant tylenol, gripe water too
from what age/months does babies start taking meds or supplements?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015