[Newegg] 30 KN95 Masks $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 6:04 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3379 posts
2045 upvotes
Vancouver
ilovevideogames wrote: That is correct. From everything I have researched, the KN95 are extremely disappointing. They let air in through the front as well as the sides. It even has perforations. It lacks a nose clip.
I am still in dire need of a true N95 mask as I have a mother going through cancer surgery this Fall and I'm going to have to source her the best mask I can find. I was hoping the KN95 would do the trick but when I received one, it was no better than the dollar store KN95s and offered poor protection.
Your problem is the supply, not the KN95 standard.

If money is not a concern, buy KN95 direct from bydcare.ca. The State of California ordered $1B worth of supplies from BYD after they were satisfied with the quality of the initial orders.

Otherwise, find some friends who work in life sciences. Many of them have priority from scientific supply companies because they're doing COVID related research.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
1172 posts
653 upvotes
SW ON
Spinner wrote: The point being, if earloop designs were "wrong" as you suggested, 3M wouldn't make them.

3M has earloop respirator designs that meet Chinese KN95 and AUS/NZ P2 standards.

Nothing about the KN95 or P2 standards specify earloop attachments.

Keep in mind that N95 designs are designs for Caucasians while KN95 is designed for Asian facial features (hence the vertical flat fold). So it's no surprise you've seen an earloop N95
Can you post a link to a single 3M KN95 or N95 mask with ear loops? I am finding only masks with headbands. For example: https://www.thedentalmarket.ca/featured ... sks-10-pk/ https://www.discountsafetygear.com/3m-d ... 9502v.html

I guess there is nothing about earloop vs. headband in the standard but these masks imply tight fit which IMHO cannot be achieved with earloops. I haven't seen a workplace mask with earloops.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1239 posts
157 upvotes
Brampton
If someone needs real protection, consider getting a half face respirator and pay a little extra for silicone models. The seal is very substantial compared to masks and will provide better value in the long run since the body of the respirator can be cleaned and the filters will last for a long time in a non industrial environment.

The downsides are the look of the respirator and the difficulty communicating clearly, and if you were trying to protect others, there is an exhaust valve you would need to modify to filter your exhaust.

These can be ordered fairly reasonably priced from uline.com. Consider the Honeywell North brand as a good alternative to 3m that is sometimes harder to get.

Personally, I believe we will likely have to take out turn with the virus as we were initially told by health authoriities. But if you are making an effort to avoid it, a homemade mask not made to any standard at all and counting on others to wear these low grade masks properly (not under your nose) simply doesn't cut it.

Unless you are taking care of a sick person or are sick, buy a bulk pack of valves and add one or two for comfort and longevity of your regular n95 or kn95.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34044 posts
19921 upvotes
Ottawa
ilovevideogames wrote: That is correct. From everything I have researched, the KN95 are extremely disappointing. They let air in through the front as well as the sides. It even has perforations. It lacks a nose clip.
I am still in dire need of a true N95 mask as I have a mother going through cancer surgery this Fall and I'm going to have to source her the best mask I can find. I was hoping the KN95 would do the trick but when I received one, it was no better than the dollar store KN95s and offered poor protection.
This has the one way valve.
Not recommended because it doesn't stop transmission, but your mom is more vulnerable, so it's perfectly fine for her.

https://www.amresupply.com/part/74006B- ... with-valve
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4194 posts
1086 upvotes
Charlottetown
ilovevideogames wrote: Would you be willing to share so people like my mom can purchase one? We desperately need to obtain one for my mom who is going in for cancer surgery.
I'm high risk, and bought these Made in Canada Level III disposable surgical masks https://unitedcanadainc.com/product/dis ... in-canada/ I asked a nurse at Provincial Gov't Nursing Home what they use and she said Level II.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8683 posts
3145 upvotes
Toronto
Thatdealguy wrote: I never said it was for the public like for the average person. They are still limited to certain companies/hospitals/clinics/pharmacies.
It's all about how you treat others. Treat people nicely and they may be able to help you out as well.
I'm telling you and other rfders that 3M only costs $1-$1.5/mask right now.

This information may be garbage to you but it may help others to think twice before buying the expensive KN95.

although those companies can buy 3m (white mask), it is still limited quantity.
My contact at a GTA hospital , the procurement manager, says your info is BS.

During this pandemic, medical N95s cannot be bought for $1-1.5/each, it costs much higher price than that, if available. Even if you have money to buy, it is still difficult to source N95s. So your info is garbage.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34044 posts
19921 upvotes
Ottawa
Arrgh wrote: My contact at a GTA hospital , the procurement manager, says your info is BS.

During this pandemic, medical N95s cannot be bought for $1-1.5/each, it costs much higher price than that, if available. Even if you have money to buy, it is still difficult to source N95s. So your info is garbage.
My company was paying around $2/pc (20pc/box) based on our volume discount of 20 box MOQ.
May 19, 2004
162 posts
30 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Here is a FACE MASK GUIDE to different classes of face masks that may help in understanding ASTM levels (1, 2, 3) and N95.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6768 posts
3169 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Why is children under 5 does not need to wear a mask in here? I think those children are high risk and they touch everything they see and then touch their face.
They only reason I can think of is whoever making the policy is covering their own a...
If a child is stupid enough to die from wearing a mask, they are doomed. So no one is trying to make any attempt to make mask wearing real mandatory.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Jul 11, 2006
126 posts
72 upvotes
icecoal wrote: I neatly fold up some kleenex inside everytime I use the surgical masks so it would hopefully soak up some of that moisture and prolong em.
I use a cloth mask (with a pouch inside) I fold a quality paper towel 3 x and insert in the pouch. I use this when I go to the grocery store. I don't dilly dally. I am retired. I do minimum talking and use hand gestures.

I wash the mask whenever I use it. I keep 3 layer masks on hand.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34044 posts
19921 upvotes
Ottawa
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Why is children under 5 does not need to wear a mask in here? I think those children are high risk and they touch everything they see and then touch their face.
They only reason I can think of is whoever making the policy is covering their own a...
If a child is stupid enough to die from wearing a mask, they are doomed. So no one is trying to make any attempt to make mask wearing real mandatory.
I'm guessing you don't have young kids?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3379 posts
2045 upvotes
Vancouver
alpovs wrote: Can you post a link to a single 3M KN95 or N95 mask with ear loops? I am finding only masks with headbands. For example: https://www.thedentalmarket.ca/featured ... sks-10-pk/ https://www.discountsafetygear.com/3m-d ... 9502v.html

I guess there is nothing about earloop vs. headband in the standard but these masks imply tight fit which IMHO cannot be achieved with earloops. I haven't seen a workplace mask with earloops.
You’ll find several KN95 earloop designs on 3M’s webpage.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/worker-heal ... 9/airlift/
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3379 posts
2045 upvotes
Vancouver
Arrgh wrote: My contact at a GTA hospital , the procurement manager, says your info is BS.

Your friend should find a new job.

VWR has been selling surgical N95s for regular price. Limited supply yes to confirmed scientific and medical accounts only. Price is less than $1.50 each. When you have a validated account, the pricing is an additional 30% less.

https://ca.vwr.com/store/product/en/478 ... ofessional

Keep in mind 3M has not raised the price of their N95 respirator products either. They specifically stated this in a press release. Everyone is simply on allocation.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/186 ... ricing.pdf
Jul 5, 2018
307 posts
1309 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: North America is so behind in face covering and hand washing compare to Asia. Education wise, we are not there yet compare to Asia.
Wow you go to lecture people and then spread literal misinformation. I guarantee you haven't been to mainland China unless you're intentionally being dishonest.
Washrooms in mainland China almost never have hand soap or even paper for that matter. People in China or visiting China have to carry their own paper with them.

How about you get all your facts straight before trying to be the arbiter of truth.