Hot Deals

[Newegg] 30 KN95 Masks $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 6:04 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5524 posts
5177 upvotes
4drsprt wrote: Then it shouldn't be regarded as a N95 mask Smiling Face With Open Mouth might as well classify it as a surgical mask.
But it's not an N95 mask, it's a KN95 mask.
Aug 25, 2008
619 posts
444 upvotes
$19.99 shipping kills this deal.
---------------------
Koodo $39 / 10 gb
TCL 65R617 $649
Nov 20, 2014
208 posts
74 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
repatch wrote: But it's not an N95 mask, it's a KN95 mask.
Regardless of the name i'd say the majority of people who buy these masks think they are getting superior protection vs. a surgical mask when in reality if there is no perfect seal on your face, there is no difference between a N95 or KN95 mask or surgical mask.
Just hope to clarify a bit of misinformation in this thread but one can only do so much Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9218 posts
1792 upvotes
Montreal
coffeebean wrote: How would a fit test work when there are no size options with this mask?
You can't perform a fit test, look how complicated it is, you have to put this contraption on your head/put on a N95 mask and spray solutions:

In short, unless you get lucky and your N95/KN95 mask is REAL to begin with (tons of fake masks out there) AND it happens to make a perfect seal around your face, these masks won't protect you...Covid-19 droplets will sneak in the gaps and into your lungs.
Last edited by yuprules on Sep 18th, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5524 posts
5177 upvotes
4drsprt wrote: Regardless of the name i'd say the majority of people who buy these masks think they are getting superior protection vs. a surgical mask when in reality if there is no perfect seal on your face, there is no difference between a N95 or KN95 mask or surgical mask.
Just hope to clarify a bit of misinformation in this thread but one can only do so much Face With Tears Of Joy
Preaching to the choir.
I've been saying it since January: for the average person a (K)N95 mask is a waste of money.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2003
1101 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
yuprules wrote: these masks won't protect you...Covid-19 droplets will sneak in the gaps and into your lungs.
Not true at all. Just because it doesn't protect you 100% doesn't mean it doesn't protect you at all.

Bah weep granah weep nini bong
HEAT: Link!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1442 posts
717 upvotes
Montreal
4drsprt wrote: Regardless of the name i'd say the majority of people who buy these masks think they are getting superior protection vs. a surgical mask when in reality if there is no perfect seal on your face, there is no difference between a N95 or KN95 mask or surgical mask.
But unless you get fit tested every time you put on a new mask, even one from the same pack, shouldn't you be making the same assumption of it being no better than a surgical mask? How do you know you got a good seal this time? I find it depends more on adjusting it properly until I get a good seal, regardless of the brand. I definitively notice a difference when I at least think I have a good seal; my glasses no longer fog up, the mask expands and contracts, and I can't smell anything.
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9218 posts
1792 upvotes
Montreal
bk wrote: Not true at all. Just because it doesn't protect you 100% doesn't mean it doesn't protect you at all.
I didn't say it wouldn't protect you at all. Is wearing an badly put on N95 mask better than a surgical mask, who knows? Someone would have to do a research paper with people wearing an improperly put on N95 mask versus a surgical mask. I think this is beyond the scope of RFD.

I'm saying if somebody with Covid-19 coughed in a restaurant while eating with no mask and released a whole bunch of droplets into the air and you are a waiter walking by with an ill-fitted N95 mask, you are going to breathe it right in with all the gaps, N95 or not.
Last edited by yuprules on Sep 18th, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 30, 2015
575 posts
788 upvotes
BC
To add a different perspective: my family are all finding these more comfortable than re-usable cloth or disposable surgical masks. The fact that it doesn't press against your mouth and nose makes talking and breathing far easier. We use different masks for different circumstances, but these have a place in our routine.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9218 posts
1792 upvotes
Montreal
setlist wrote: To add a different perspective: my family are all finding these more comfortable than re-usable cloth or disposable surgical masks. The fact that it doesn't press against your mouth and nose makes talking and breathing far easier. We use different masks for different circumstances, but these have a place in our routine.
Well said! Arguing if it works or not is useless unless you are writing a research paper about it. Get back on the topic of if it's a good price or if they are of good quality. I'm shutting up about efficiency in this thread from now on.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1442 posts
717 upvotes
Montreal
yuprules wrote: I didn't say it wouldn't protect you at all. Is wearing an badly put on N95 mask better than a surgical mask, who knows? Someone would have to do a research paper with people wearing an improperly put on N95 mask versus a surgical mask. I think this is beyond the scope of RFD.
There are a number of studies where they randomly assign people an N95 mask or a surgical mask, and found no significant difference in flu prevention. They each cut the chance of getting the flu in half. This was true for regular people and even for nurses at the hospital. Maybe the issue is that even if you get fit tested, you still need a perfect fit every time you put one on, which is hard to do even for professionals. It could be that surgical masks are still blocking most particles, even with gaps, enough to prevent your immune system from being overwhelmed at least half the time. Maybe I'm too caught up in filtration ability, and whether a mask can filter 80% or 95% isn't important compared to other factors like how much sleep you're getting or how much stress you're under, which affects your immune system. Maybe the main benefit of masks is in preventing you from touching your face, and masks are just one facet in flu prevention.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/n95 ... ronavirus/
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Mar 25, 2008
225 posts
647 upvotes
Metrotown / Burnaby …
My dad is also in the high risk category (has advanced stage of cancer, and goes for chemo every week, etc.) and he was rotating through the N95s that I had from pre-covid days (i.e. leftovers from sanding hardwood), and I managed to buy 4 at the very beginning of the Pandemic. In the past few months I was on a hunt trying to find new N95s but to no avail.

After some research concluded that the N95s from BYD is the best option, however, they do not sell quantities lesser than 100 (which cost $500)

So I posted a comment in the very helpful [ medical masks thread ] hoping I could find a few other folks in GVRD in similar situation who might be interested in joining forces to buy those N95s from BYD together, hence posting it here as well since there is a lot more traction here...

@setlist @ilovevideogames if you or anyone else would like to team up let's connect. (e.g. 5 people for 20 masks each @ $100 the cost would be $5/piece which is not bad for NIOSH Approved masks these days) Link: https://bydcare.ca/store/ols/products/n95

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3360 posts
2035 upvotes
Vancouver
66 Starbucks customers infected by COVID-19

The 4 staff wearing KF94 respirators were not infected. Do you think Starbucks employees were fit tested?

https://news.yahoo.com/starbucks-branch ... 14367.html

Even a poorly fitted N95/KN95/KF94 respirator gives you better protection than a surgical mask and significantly better than no mask.
Jul 2, 2009
362 posts
152 upvotes
Montreal
So...can we get back to topic?

The 20$ shipping fee kills the deal on this.

What are the good deals on masks right now?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1442 posts
717 upvotes
Montreal
Spinner wrote: 66 Starbucks customers infected by COVID-19

The 4 staff wearing KF94 respirators were not infected. Do you think Starbucks employees were fit tested?

https://news.yahoo.com/starbucks-branch ... 14367.html

Even a poorly fitted N95/KN95/KF94 respirator gives you better protection than a surgical mask and significantly better than no mask.
There is a study that does come to that conclusion:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21477136/
"non-fit-tested N95 respirators were significantly more protective than medical masks against CRI"
" There was no significant difference in outcomes between the N95 arms with and without fit testing. Rates of fit test failure were low."

Although a meta analysis could not conclude that N95 masks are better than surgical masks:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4868605/
"Although N95 respirators appeared to have a protective advantage over surgical masks in laboratory settings, our meta-analysis showed that there were insufficient data to determine definitively whether N95 respirators are superior to surgical masks in protecting health care workers against transmissible acute respiratory infections in clinical settings."

But those studies were all before covid, and maybe they weren't seeing a difference because of poor mask compliance, since it was just the flu.
In the first study, only 74% of N95 participants were wearing a mask at least 80% of the time, and yet they had almost half the rate of infection compared to the surgical mask group, fit tested or not.