Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] $99 + FS, Refurbished Asus Certified RT-AC1900P Dual-Band Wireless AC-1900 Gigabit Router

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2018 10:22 am
[OP]
Jun 28, 2017
991 posts
474 upvotes

[Newegg] $99 + FS, Refurbished Asus Certified RT-AC1900P Dual-Band Wireless AC-1900 Gigabit Router

For those who want a Mesh network, $99.99 + free shipping.

Yes I know it was $89.99 on eBay from Newegg a week ago, but this this still a good deal, not hot but warm.
30 replies
Nov 8, 2013
128 posts
42 upvotes
is this better than the OnHubt that was on sale couple days ago?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2095 posts
1497 upvotes
Looks like it only has 2 radios, so for mesh what does that mean?

If I hardwire 2 with ethernet will I still get the benefits of the Mesh support?
May 26, 2010
974 posts
541 upvotes
Land
A+++, got one of those when 15% off on newegg ebay, never regret it..
It's got transmission torrent download, don't have to keep your pc running 24/7.
Just plug in usb drive, i suggest to put an usb extension between usb stick, because usb stick run warm and +..
Media server, plus able to connect to 2 internet providers, (or to 2 hots spot with poe wifi adapter client bridge) ..

And much more

(-: Public Mobile $33 + tax for bargain seekers like me :-)
Feb 22, 2017
188 posts
160 upvotes
Ontario
repatch wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 10:26 am
Looks like it only has 2 radios, so for mesh what does that mean?

If I hardwire 2 with ethernet will I still get the benefits of the Mesh support?
If you can hardwire it, there's no "benefit" to mesh support. Mesh is a workaround if you're stuck and has become a consumer meme.

Best to least:

1. Single access point if you can get away with it, because then you don't have to deal with getting devices to pick the right AP.
2. Multiple wired APs, and dealing with the manufacturers specific logic for switching (why is it still on "upstairs" when I am in the basement!?")
3. Mesh with a dedicated radio for backhaul. Same challenges as 2. but with still some loss because it has to retransmit (increased loss/latency)
4. Mesh with no dedicated backhaul, it's 3 with even worse performance
5. Single AP that doesn't actually cover where you need it
6. Dial up??

"Mesh with wired" is just not mesh.

^ This is all as pertains to consumer stuff, not talking about enterprise configs or equipment.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2017
991 posts
474 upvotes
Routers with mesh support such as Google WiFi or AiMesh with wired backhaul still works better than using two APs with the same SSID on wired backhaul.

A device such as smartphone or tablet or laptop is not smart enough to switch between the 2 APs I’ve found. The transition between “nodes” is more seamless with Mesh.
Feb 22, 2017
188 posts
160 upvotes
Ontario
shayne85 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 10:49 am
Routers with mesh support such as Google WiFi or AiMesh with wired backhaul still works better than using two APs with the same SSID on wired backhaul.

A device such as smartphone or tablet or laptop is not smart enough to switch between the 2 APs I’ve found. The transition between “nodes” is more seamless with Mesh.
If this occurs, it's not because they're "mesh", it's because they have management capabilities that boot the devices off and force them to go to another AP; for example so do some* TP-Link access points. It's not because you bought a "mesh router". And it is still heavily client dependant as to how seamless that transition is.

Edit: If you don't believe me, maybe consider:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/why-a ... ost-423027
Oct 20, 2012
36 posts
16 upvotes
I use this router with my Rogers modem and the connection from my second floor and basement had increased dramatically (I placed the setup on the main floor) . Definitely recommend this!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2095 posts
1497 upvotes
Anybody have an idea of whether this will be better then the TP-Link Archer C7? I've been very happy with it, but at 5GHz it's range doesn't cover enough, so I have 2, but the problem with that is the classic "holds on to a weaker signal" problem happens all the time.

Would one of these have better 5GHz coverage? Does two of these properly handle handoffs with Android and iPhones?
May 10, 2011
7 posts
11 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Can anyone clarify the difference between this router and my RT-AC68U ? I'm also looking to pick up a second Asus router to have Mesh set up for my house. I found someone selling a used ac68u for the same price but can't figure out the difference.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9434 posts
1170 upvotes
Darn, waiting patiently for the AC86u to go on sale again
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Feb 22, 2016
17 posts
10 upvotes
plutomok wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 1:24 pm
Can anyone clarify the difference between this router and my RT-AC68U ? I'm also looking to pick up a second Asus router to have Mesh set up for my house. I found someone selling a used ac68u for the same price but can't figure out the difference.
Someone from Reddit provided links to compare the two devices.

You may want to look at this quick comparison.

AC68U: Broadcom BCM4708A0 @800MHz (2 cores) (Link)
AC1900P: Broadcom BCM4709C0 (1.4 GHz, 2 cores) (Link)

Edit: It looks like the AC1900P is just an updated AC68U with a faster CPU and more Flash memory storage.