Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] $99 + FS, Refurbished Asus Certified RT-AC1900P Dual-Band Wireless AC-1900 Gigabit Router

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2018 10:22 am
Oct 5, 2003
297 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver
My AC68U stops WIFI function, no wifi singals, every now and then after I updated to the latest firmware, 3.0.0.4.384_32799

And, the speed to upload files to my AiDisk, UBS3.0, goes down after I attached Kingston 480GB SSD to the USB3.0 port, instead of USB 3.0 stick.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29829 posts
1230 upvotes
Fernando Po
If these manufacturers had any faith in their refurbs they'd offer the same warranty as their new products. Bought two refurb routers in the past, both failed within a few months (just after the warranty ended).
Jul 28, 2010
527 posts
205 upvotes
hagbard wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 3:45 pm
If these manufacturers had any faith in their refurbs they'd offer the same warranty as their new products. Bought two refurb routers in the past, both failed within a few months (just after the warranty ended).
Asus?
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9298 posts
905 upvotes
GTA
Wondering in what situations would it be worth paying more than double for asus ac2900 instead (rt-ac86u). I am thinking of getting two of these refurbs for wifi at my mom's house as the built in router in the modem is horrible. I currently have an ac2900 at my place and I really like it. Was waiting to get the ac2900 when it goes on sale again for $199 (hopeful) which would mean that I could buy two of these refurbs for the same price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1291 posts
692 upvotes
hagbard wrote:
I bought 2 D-Link DIR-880L refurb units - both working for more than a year. One stock and one running DD-WRT
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7862 posts
1116 upvotes
Toronto
hagbard wrote:
There is always a risk and possible red flag when you see so many refurbs for a particular product.
Then of course there are the buy and return(sometimes never opened) items from Costco, which never go back on the shelves but to refurbishers and liquidators.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6347 posts
5005 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Showing as $129.99 on website and their eBay store now.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2472 posts
369 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I am currently using an 86U as our main router and absolutely love that beast. Our house has excellent coverage everywhere and speedtests over wifi typically show my rated (or higher) speed. However we have a large, deep yard and as we finish it off more I want a stronger signal throughout the entire yard. I am running an ethernet cable out to the under construction detached garage we are building and plan to put a second AImesh router in there to achieve my goal. Should I just go with something like the router that was posted here (which I know is expired but I have time to wait it out) or should I get another 86U? Would a second 86U be overkill and unnecessary ?

It is no rush to buy as the outdoor season is almost over but I do want to get a decision made on which mod to go with so I can watch for the best deal over the winter months.
Nov 3, 2007
835 posts
43 upvotes
Cambridge
Decent router use it here
with Merlin's Firmware
Cambridge,Ontario
Jul 8, 2007
572 posts
97 upvotes
This is pretty tempting, but I'm wondering if it's overkill if I just want a better WiFi signal.
Silly Rabbit, Trix are for Kids!
Jul 28, 2010
527 posts
205 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote:
Oct 20th, 2018 8:15 am
I am currently using an 86U as our main router and absolutely love that beast. Our house has excellent coverage everywhere and speedtests over wifi typically show my rated (or higher) speed. However we have a large, deep yard and as we finish it off more I want a stronger signal throughout the entire yard. I am running an ethernet cable out to the under construction detached garage we are building and plan to put a second AImesh router in there to achieve my goal. Should I just go with something like the router that was posted here (which I know is expired but I have time to wait it out) or should I get another 86U? Would a second 86U be overkill and unnecessary ?

It is no rush to buy as the outdoor season is almost over but I do want to get a decision made on which mod to go with so I can watch for the best deal over the winter months.
IMO, if you use the ethernet backhaul as you described, the 86U is overkill. I believe three bands are better if using wireless backhaul though.
Last edited by BlueLightSpecial on Oct 20th, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 3, 2008
474 posts
74 upvotes
Scarborough
aquariaguy wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 1:32 pm
Darn, waiting patiently for the AC86u to go on sale again
you won't regret it. I get full converage placed on first floor. Basement / second floor no problem. My deadspots are no longer dead spot when compared to rogers stock 2in1 modem