• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2016 2:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1260 posts
965 upvotes
Hamilton

[Newegg] ABS Stalker Super - I7 6700K- 32 GB RAM - 2TB HD/120 GB SSD - GTX 970 - $1299

To those that missed the other ABS Stalker deal for at NewEgg for $1199*, this PC will offer you at least equivalent (sometimes better) gaming performance for $1299.

Intel Core i7 6th Gen 6700K (4.00 GHz)
32 GB DDR4 2 TB HDD 120 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB
2TB HDD / 120 GB SSD

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6883102120

Kudos to NathanCS for mentioning this as well on the other thread.

*newegg-abs-stalker-overseer-gaming-pc-i ... 0-2051089/
62 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4608 posts
696 upvotes
I'm not a gamer, but have been looking for a desktop with specs like this. What's the opinion on the value for specs here?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1260 posts
965 upvotes
Hamilton
Kohanz wrote: I'm not a gamer, but have been looking for a desktop with specs like this. What's the opinion on the value for specs here?
I priced it out separately, comes out to about $1500 dollars before shipping if you were to assemble it yourself.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qZGFXH
Last edited by shwab on Oct 31st, 2016 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
May 19, 2005
866 posts
366 upvotes
Kingston
This is a solid build for a decent price..
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2004
2310 posts
407 upvotes
shwab wrote:
Kohanz wrote: I'm not a gamer, but have been looking for a desktop with specs like this. What's the opinion on the value for specs here?
I priced it out separately, comes out to about $1500 dollars before shipping if you were to assemble it yourself.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/dGRX2R
Just remember, you are not getting full manufactures warranty for parts when they are being sold as a pre-built custom PC. You get whatever the manufacture is offering, and in this case it's 1-year.

Just thought I'd point that out for those interested.
May 19, 2005
866 posts
366 upvotes
Kingston
cell567 wrote:
shwab wrote:

Just remember, you are not getting full manufactures warranty for parts when they are being sold as a pre-built custom PC. You get whatever the manufacture is offering, and in this case it's 1-year.

That is only true of manufactures who use an "original receipt" as a gatekeeper to fulfill their warranty coverage. Anyone who doesn't demand that will cover their parts just like if you bought them as parts. MSI/Gigabyte/ASUS are all respectable manufacturers who don't rely on the "original receipt" scam to reduce their warranty coverage.
Nov 10, 2011
194 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
shwab wrote:

looks like you put in a 1TB HDD instead of a 120GB SSD, but the resulting price of around $1500 will be more or less the same.
Sep 9, 2014
605 posts
575 upvotes
Vancouver
Stupid question: if I'm looking for a high end PC but not for gaming. Like I just want it to run really well and fast. Does it make sense to buy this PC? My understanding is that the GPU will be overkill but I don't see it as a bad thing. Given the price, I don't feel like I'm wasting money.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4599 posts
845 upvotes
BryanBreguet wrote: Stupid question: if I'm looking for a high end PC but not for gaming. Like I just want it to run really well and fast. Does it make sense to buy this PC? My understanding is that the GPU will be overkill but I don't see it as a bad thing. Given the price, I don't feel like I'm wasting money.
What kind of tasks are you planning to do? This is way overkill if you just want to browse, go on FB, watch YouTube etc...
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
No, if you want a fast PC, graphic card is still a good idea as it enable more display options along with 3D performance that creative application can use. Though, if you don't use any creative, video related activity, the Graphic card is largely unused.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1614 posts
249 upvotes
Kitchener
BryanBreguet wrote: Stupid question: if I'm looking for a high end PC but not for gaming. Like I just want it to run really well and fast. Does it make sense to buy this PC? My understanding is that the GPU will be overkill but I don't see it as a bad thing. Given the price, I don't feel like I'm wasting money.
The GTX 970 pretty much accounts for the difference. As the OP pointed out to build this yourself with the same specs you'd be looking at around $1500. Knock off $300 for the GTX 970 for your scenario where you don't need it and you'd still be spending what this package costs to build it yourself without the 970.

General rule of thumb though is MFG built desktops are of lower quality as if you built your own unless they are built with the same components you would yourself.

As far as making sense for you to buy this to run well and fast, if you're not gaming, or video editing, this pc is very much so overkill.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1260 posts
965 upvotes
Hamilton
rkdkzx wrote:
shwab wrote:

looks like you put in a 1TB HDD instead of a 120GB SSD, but the resulting price of around $1500 will be more or less the same.
You are right, I changed it.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2004
2310 posts
407 upvotes
gn22 wrote:
cell567 wrote:
shwab wrote:

That is only true of manufactures who use an "original receipt" as a gatekeeper to fulfill their warranty coverage. Anyone who doesn't demand that will cover their parts just like if you bought them as parts. MSI/Gigabyte/ASUS are all respectable manufacturers who don't rely on the "original receipt" scam to reduce their warranty coverage.
And judging by most of the components in this system, they do not seem to be a part of those three. The videocard is ZOTAC. They only extend warranty to original purchaser and require original receipt IIRC. The PSU doesn't look promising. So, you are pretty much receiving full warranty on the mobo which probably falls into MSI/GIGABYTE/ASUS.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1260 posts
965 upvotes
Hamilton
iLLNESS wrote:
General rule of thumb though is MFG built desktops are of lower quality as if you built your own unless they are built with the same components you would yourself.
I've used all the same parts, with the exception of the HD/SSD, memory and optical drive, where I've used cheap parts.

The case is out of stock at newegg,http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6811580001, but retails at $49.99
Jul 12, 2004
92 posts
12 upvotes
How about this one:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 1451686866

Core i7 5820K (3.30 GHz)
32 GB DDR4
3 TB HDD
240 GB SSD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

for only $300 more.

Use masterpass coupon for $25 off of $200+ for an additional $25 off.

Other plusses: AIO cooler and looks like a better case.

Does it hot?
Last edited by Hojo on Oct 30th, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 9, 2014
605 posts
575 upvotes
Vancouver
Kherani wrote:
What kind of tasks are you planning to do? This is way overkill if you just want to browse, go on FB, watch YouTube etc...
I do real work on my PC. A lot of Office work of course (so this is indeed overkill) but I also run statistical software (I do a lot of simulations where I randomly sample from distributions).

I,m okay with being overkill as long as I don't overpay too much. Same way I know my OnePlus 3 is overkill but I still love the speed and smoothness. So I want the same for my PCs. I don't want to have to think about not using Google Chrome because it uses more memory (or it used to, not here to debate that). I want everything to open fast and smoothly. I currently used a docked Surface Pro by the way.

I know we always here that a $500 PC can do the normal task (i.e: not gaming) but my personal experience is that you get what you pay for. Pay more for a SSD, pay more for a good CPU, etc. At the end, even normal tasks are much better. But as I've said, I want to know how much I'm overpaying for this by getting this PC.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4599 posts
845 upvotes
BryanBreguet wrote:
Kherani wrote:
I do real work on my PC. A lot of Office work of course (so this is indeed overkill) but I also run statistical software (I do a lot of simulations where I randomly sample from distributions).

I,m okay with being overkill as long as I don't overpay too much. Same way I know my OnePlus 3 is overkill but I still love the speed and smoothness. So I want the same for my PCs. I don't want to have to think about not using Google Chrome because it uses more memory (or it used to, not here to debate that). I want everything to open fast and smoothly. I currently used a docked Surface Pro by the way.

I know we always here that a $500 PC can do the normal task (i.e: not gaming) but my personal experience is that you get what you pay for. Pay more for a SSD, pay more for a good CPU, etc. At the end, even normal tasks are much better. But as I've said, I want to know how much I'm overpaying for this by getting this PC.
It's about $300 cheaper than buying the components individually and assembling it yourself.
Sep 9, 2014
605 posts
575 upvotes
Vancouver
Which is good but not necessarily the best thing. If you tell me I could be a Ferrari for $100k and this is $300k cheaper than assembling it myself, it'd still be ridiculously overkill for my needs. See what I mean?

Looking at the spec here, it seems that it's fairly good price for somebody who wants a high productivity PC. I mean, from what I've seen, getting a i5 6th gen + at least 8 GB of fast RAM + large SSD... you'll quickly get to $1000 all in.
Nov 10, 2011
194 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Hojo wrote: How about this one:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 1451686866

Core i7 5820K (3.30 GHz)
32 GB DDR4
3 TB HDD
240 GB SSD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

for only $300 more.

Use masterpass coupon for $25 off of $200+ for an additional $25 off.

Other plusses: AIO cooler and looks like a better case.

Does it hot?
damn... that's tempting..
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1251 posts
581 upvotes
I really want to like this deal as I've been shopping, looking mostly at a Dell XPS 8910. I have a 1070 to drop into the system but I don't game a great deal. I use my computer in my home office primarily for work. Looking at the reviews, support seems iffy and of those reporting, the problems seem to be with the motherboard and PS. I can't afford to have my desktop down. My almost 3 year old XPS has been great to date. It's just time to upgrade. I'm on the fence. No question, at $1300, it's a great deal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)