Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] Acer XG270HU Red 27" 1ms 144HZ WQHD 2K 2560x1440 with G-SYNC Compatible, Gaming LCD Monitor w/ Built-in Speakers $449.99

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2012
1223 posts
2809 upvotes

[Newegg] Acer XG270HU Red 27" 1ms 144HZ WQHD 2K 2560x1440 with G-SYNC Compatible, Gaming LCD Monitor w/ Built-in Speakers $449.99

Pretty decent TN 2K panel gaming monitor!

Specs:

Quad HD resolution 2K 2560 x 1440
Ultra-Fast Response Time 1ms
Responsive 144Hz
G-SYNC Compatible
DVI, HDMI, Displayport -Built-in Speakers

Enjoy!
24 replies
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
Someone really needs to let newegg and others know 2k is not 1440p, this drives me nuts lol.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 22, 2004
2583 posts
549 upvotes
KevinC268 wrote: Someone really needs to let newegg and others know 2k is not 1440p, this drives me nuts lol.
I had to google this, I guess I am one of those that did not understand what the k referred to...
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 28, 2010
603 posts
572 upvotes
Montreal
This monitor is at this price every 2 - 3 weeks. I have it on my watch list. Not a hot t deal. Ok price.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
knapper wrote: I had to google this, I guess I am one of those that did not understand what the k referred to...
Im not sure how so many people ended up calling 1440p 2K, but its all over the web and even on product descriptions at times.
Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2010
377 posts
867 upvotes
Montreal
KevinC268 wrote: Im not sure how so many people ended up calling 1440p 2K, but its all over the web and even on product descriptions at times.
For the same reasons they call 2160p TV's 4k, marketing :)

HD is 720p so 2K is 1440p and 4K is 2160p.
Jr. Member
Jun 4, 2018
183 posts
183 upvotes
A TN panel is worth nowhere close to that price.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
dazurn wrote: For the same reasons they call 2160p TV's 4k, marketing :)

HD is 720p so 2K is 1440p and 4K is 2160p.
4K refers to a horizontal display resolution of approximately 4,000 pixels. That’s all it is.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
vane4665 wrote: A TN panel is worth nowhere close to that price.
Care to elaborate with actual facts?
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
redflagdealsguy wrote: Great for gaming. That's about it.
I prefer a high refresh rate monitor for general use and programming as well, you will end up paying a ton more for a high refresh rate 1440p ips monitor. The premium just isn’t worth slightly more accurate colours and slightly better viewing angles for most people.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
vane4665 wrote: Sure. The image quality sucks.
Well that’s just wrong in 2019, but I suspect you are so used to the idea of tn panels being bad that nothing will change your mind.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
redflagdealsguy wrote: TN panels in 2019 aren't terrible, but when you're used to silk (IPS, QLED, OLED), cotton (TN) leaves you wanting.
The way motion is handled factors into picture quality, tn easily beats ips in that category. Qled and oled aren’t even things for monitors are they?

Edit: looks like there are a few oled and qled options now, just not in my price range.
Last edited by KevinC268 on May 29th, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 17, 2003
1853 posts
628 upvotes
Edmonton
redflagdealsguy wrote: TN panels in 2019 aren't terrible, but when you're used to silk (IPS, QLED, OLED), cotton (TN) leaves you wanting.
True but in the context of this thread and it being a gaming monitor I mean if you are already used to 144 hz IPS gsync gaming monitors I guess you wouldn't be after this. I haven't really bumped into a lot of qled and oled gaming monitors either at those refresh rates.

side note, I have trouble with the freesync 27's at over 400 since the deal on the 32" LG VA 144hz was on for 399.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3852 posts
2402 upvotes
Vancouver
redflagdealsguy wrote: TN panels in 2019 aren't terrible, but when you're used to silk (IPS, QLED, OLED), cotton (TN) leaves you wanting.
Two sides to that... for gamers once you are used to 100+ FPS, it’s hard to go back. You might actually prefer less image quality for those extra frames. Basically this is a niche specifically gamers who want high frame rates. For all other purpose, TN panel isn’t the way to go but for that niche market, nothing beats TN panels (at least if price is added to the equation lol).
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17955 posts
20146 upvotes
Paigne wrote: Two sides to that... for gamers once you are used to 100+ FPS, it’s hard to go back. You might actually prefer less image quality for those extra frames. Basically this is a niche specifically gamers who want high frame rates. For all other purpose, TN panel isn’t the way to go but for that niche market, nothing beats TN panels (at least if price is added to the equation lol).
It's definitely me taking one side of the equation, vibrancy / color fidelity over responsiveness. Apples to apples, the responsive of 144Hz TN beats 144Hz IPS, even when they seem to claim the same latencies... IPS has more ghosting.

In a characteristically even-handed assessment, you've pointed to both sides of the equation here. I can't fault you for that.

Top