Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1936 posts
346 upvotes
Ottawa

[Newegg] All WD Red Pro and Plus NAS Hard Disk Drive on sale @ newegg

Images
  • 22-234-375-V03.jpg
Last edited by Lumber-jack on Dec 1st, 2020 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
11 replies
Aug 14, 2009
396 posts
407 upvotes
BC
This just kills me. Red PLUS... what WD really means is OG Red. These are the same as Red's have always been. They're not equivalent to Red Pro's. Heaven help us shmucks trying to buy what we intend to, with product line naming constantly changing.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1005 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto
$20 shipping kills the deal
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15216 posts
2424 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
trendless wrote: This just kills me. Red PLUS... what WD really means is OG Red. These are the same as Red's have always been. They're not equivalent to Red Pro's. Heaven help us shmucks trying to buy what we intend to, with product line naming constantly changing.
agreed. Should have named the SMR Reds as Red lite or something like that lol

Also these prices seem to align with the other retailers currently and they had them cheaper on Thursday...
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1373 posts
344 upvotes
trendless wrote: This just kills me. Red PLUS... what WD really means is OG Red. These are the same as Red's have always been. They're not equivalent to Red Pro's. Heaven help us shmucks trying to buy what we intend to, with product line naming constantly changing.
Hmmm. Can you be more specific? Red is ____, Red Plus is ______, Red Pro is _________?
Dec 1, 2006
740 posts
95 upvotes
oh wow, these drives are expensive when you're not shucking
Jan 17, 2017
188 posts
88 upvotes
jayjaywong wrote: shuck all the wayyy
would I want to trust taking a shucked enclosure drive and use it in my NAS? Serious question. :)
Feb 9, 2020
27 posts
16 upvotes
Anyone ever see the purple drives go on sale? I feel like i keep seeing NAS drives, but never surveillance.
Dec 1, 2006
740 posts
95 upvotes
plummer6699 wrote: would I want to trust taking a shucked enclosure drive and use it in my NAS? Serious question. :)
that's why you preclear first, 95% of the time any defects gets caught then. Plus, NAS should always have at least more than one parity drive in case it fails
Oct 27, 2017
132 posts
165 upvotes
plummer6699 wrote:
would I want to trust taking a shucked enclosure drive and use it in my NAS? Serious question. :)
Your question has been answered below. There's always risk involved in shucking; It comes down to your own cost benefit analysis. Benefit is obvious: quite a lot cheaper drives (some mentioned these drives are inferior i.e. failed some sort of tests to be sold as "internal" drive, although I don't see any diff as a general user). Cost is the risk of voiding the warranty which can be mitigated, not eliminated, by the preclear. Some may consider the risk somewhat too high, others feel acceptable, given the fail rate and especially the savings.. so really personal judgement.
chinmoku_tak wrote: that's why you preclear first, 95% of the time any defects gets caught then. Plus, NAS should always have at least more than one parity drive in case it fails
The thread summary may be useful:
[Costco] Western Digital Mybook 8TB - $154.99
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
2110 posts
558 upvotes
Canada Computers had them on sale all weekend until midnight Monday.
2TB was $75, that was the one I was looking at but did not buy. Their prices were pretty low, now back up another $20.