• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2017 10:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1038 posts
55 upvotes

[Newegg] ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard $124.99 after $25 MIR

This is the cheapest Coffee Lake mobo I can find although it relies on a $25 MIR ($149.99 less $25 MIR) and this is a budget level Z370 board. But it should be more than adequate if you're not going to overclock and planning to get a non-k CPU. The other comparable is the MSI Z370-A Pro which also goes for about $150.

Now the vendors just need to get some stock of the cpu's.
9 replies
Jun 28, 2017
300 posts
124 upvotes
If you're building a new comp, make sure to get a mobo with USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports which are 10 Gbps.

Almost all new Coffee lake boards have the Gen 2 ports. This board is only Gen 1 (so only 5 Gbps), which is the old USB 3.0 tech. See below for more.

https://www.msi.com/blog/usb-3-1-gen1-gen2-explained
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1443 posts
238 upvotes
Belle River
shayne85 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 4:09 pm
If you're building a new comp, make sure to get a mobo with USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports which are 10 Gbps.

Almost all new Coffee lake boards have the Gen 2 ports. This board is only Gen 1 (so only 5 Gbps), which is the old USB 3.0 tech. See below for more.

https://www.msi.com/blog/usb-3-1-gen1-gen2-explained
Thanks for pointing that out, but it got me thinking, how much does it matter?

What kinda devices would use that 10Gbps? I'm thinking it might be useful for video output, or multiple things in one box like those little things for laptops, but those don't seem very useful for a desktop.

Are there devices out now? And if not, how long till that might become common?

I'm just throwing it out for discussion, not disagreeing with your suggestion.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21649 posts
2406 upvotes
hystavito wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 4:17 pm
Thanks for pointing that out, but it got me thinking, how much does it matter?

What kinda devices would use that 10Gbps? I'm thinking it might be useful for video output, or multiple things in one box like those little things for laptops, but those don't seem very useful for a desktop.

Are there devices out now? And if not, how long till that might become common?
The devices are few and far between and just like USB 3.0 you're going to end up, eventually, with lots of flash drives that support "Gen 2" which probably can't reach even Gen 1 speeds, particularly for write (vast majority of drives out there can't max Gen 1 bandwidth in write and many can't even reach 2.0 bandwidth limits).

The illusions of "future proofing" far too often cause people to spend more money than they need to, esp. on computer gear. Some CL boards have 3.1 Gen2 but only via front panel header and there's virtually no cases out there right now that even have a front panel connection for that. Of course manufacturers might start releasing upgrade cables but we've yet to see those either.

The reality is with a huge ATX board like this, if you ever even really needed Gen2 you'd easily be able to add it with a PCIe card after the fact. The 2nd physical x16 slot operates at PCIe 3.0 x4 if you don't have anything in the other minor slots, and that's is way more than enough for 3.1 Gen2. Even the x1 slots are 3.0 and that's nearly enough for Gen2.

It is ashame AssRock has released a "Pro4" (which is supposed to be the better end of their standard line of boards) w/o either Gen2 ports or header, but really who the hell cares? It really is not that big a deal as there's very few devices you're going to connect that will utilise that much bandwidth and it's not like Gen 1 is exactly "slow" at 5Gbps. It's up to you but personally I wouldn't make that a deal killer. People that go on and on about nonsense like "future proofing"...will go on and on about it :rolleyes: --that's just the thinking of some people I guess.

Apart from that I'm really not too keen on AssRock TBH, but in typical AsRock fashion it is cheap. An awful lot of people complain about AsRock rebates though and they've become extremely stingy on how many days you have to send it (just 10 days from purchase!) but I have bought one AsRock board, for my NAS build--an H97 board and it had a $25 rebate. I sent the rebate away on the 8th or 9th day and I did receive it after a few months; but, YMMV. AsRock is pretty terrible on their warranty/RMA from what I hear as well, but again you get what you pay for.
May 14, 2008
256 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
don't buy ASROCK... low quality product, regardless the price.
Jun 28, 2017
300 posts
124 upvotes
That is fair advice.

But for example there are more and more external SSDs out there, eventually they will break the Gen 1 limits.

I have a lot of external HDDs which all are 3-4 times faster than USB 2.0, so yes like you recommended I have added a USB 3.0 PCIe card to my older desktop and love the faster transfer speeds, especially for backups. When I bought this old mobo there wasn't USB 3.0 out yet.

But almost all other Coffee lake boards have USB 3.1 Gen 2 so I'd spend the fraction of money more for one with this feature. It's an extra $25-40 for a mobo with this feature.

Down the road, a USB 3.1 Gen 2 PCIe card will be about the exact same $25-40, so why not?
Jul 20, 2016
468 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
enigma54 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 3:51 pm
But it should be more than adequate if you're not going to overclock and planning to get a non-k CPU.
Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the main advantage of having a Z chipset if you won't Overclock?

mrblack747 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 1:50 pm
Not that I'm defending any brand or stuff, but I have a Z170M Pro 4S since December '16 and no issues so far *knocks on wood*. And it's OCing fairly decent my 6600K (@4.6GHz Stock voltage, I think I could get 4.4 undervolt but didn't want to spend much time tuning it)
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Dec 10, 2014
191 posts
69 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
neonic wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 6:23 pm
Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the main advantage of having a Z chipset if you won't Overclock?

Not that I'm defending any brand or stuff, but I have a Z170M Pro 4S since December '16 and no issues so far *knocks on wood*. And it's OCing fairly decent my 6600K (@4.6GHz Stock voltage, I think I could get 4.4 undervolt but didn't want to spend much time tuning it)
advantage was that you could use the i5 8400 sooner, that outperforms 7700k stock while being much cheaper. Also is the best gaming chip for price/perf. ratio.
supports faster base memory speed, capable of reaching 4000mhz+ easy if buying quality 370's, dual slots for NVMe SSDs, covered heatsinks etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1038 posts
55 upvotes
neonic wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 6:23 pm
For those of us not wanting to overclock, we would love to buy the cheaper H or B chipsets but those boards won't be released until Q1/2018. So if you want to use the new Coffee Lake CPU's this year, the Z370 boards are your only option. Unfortunately, the vast majority of those boards are over $200 with features the non-overclockers won't or can't use.
Jul 29, 2005
698 posts
27 upvotes
mrblack747 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 1:50 pm

This is just plain wrong.