• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 2:55 pm
[OP]
Jan 26, 2011
212 posts
575 upvotes
Scarborough

[Newegg] ASUS AC5300 Wi-Fi Tri-band Gigabit Wireless Router $269

Enter coupon code CEMCDRFK22 to get it down to $269.99, free shipped.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2671 posts
1677 upvotes
GVRD
xblackdemonx wrote: No AX, no fun Disappointed But Relieved Face
For the price you can get some entry Asus AX gear, but on the other hand kind of useless for AX when 6E is just around the corner. Wifi 6 is still not as quickly adopted as AC, I'd give it another a year or 2 when the protocol is finalized and we have faster internet to fully utilize it.
Apr 13, 2004
247 posts
155 upvotes
York Region, Ontario
A good quality wave 2 AC router like this one will outperform am entry level AX router at this price point.
Oct 14, 2017
813 posts
861 upvotes
FYI it's RT NOT GT (8 ports, faster processor and more memory). That said you can put dd-wrt on this one.
Last edited by xtrmDeals on Sep 25th, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 6, 2015
116 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Would this be better than say a single mesh router? I'm having a hard time deciding whether I need a mesh router or a single good router.

I'm currently looking at buying just one Eero mesh 6 but I feel like only buying one defeats the purpose of having a mesh network throughout the house but I've read that they can handle a lot of devices at once. Would buying this be better than those mesh wifi routers like the eero and Google nest wifi?

I live in a small townhouse, the issues I'm having with my current Fido modem is that sometimes the 2.4ghz drops and I'm not sure if buying a new router or mesh would solve it?

Thanks for help!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4057 posts
978 upvotes
Been using this for at least 2 years. Wifi is working inconsistent. Have to reboot router to get it up running. For some reason it blocks out clients occasionally. And ASUS won't answer any questions.
Good thing about this router is the AiProtection by Trend Micro. It filters out dangerous sites and attacks (normally in the night time). It also takes Asus-wrt Mirlin firmware. At this price it is OK if you don't mind the need to reset the router once a while. Netgear is much better bet.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Jul 6, 2009
708 posts
175 upvotes
deliciouscesar wrote: Would this be better than say a single mesh router? I'm having a hard time deciding whether I need a mesh router or a single good router.
For a town house you don't need mesh and this will easily outperform a single EERO or Nest unit. Plus you can install Merlin on this which is a huge value add. I have the GT version of this router in a fairly large single home and get excellent throughput everywhere in the house.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4142 posts
1492 upvotes
GTA
::2dFx:: wrote: A good quality wave 2 AC router like this one will outperform am entry level AX router at this price point.
I had the asus ax58u for a bit and compared it to my ac86u and using wifi 6 they were pretty equal in range and speeds. In some cases when switching from wifi 5 to 6 the speeds doubled. I wouldn't bother with ac routers anymore. Their support is dwindling. My ac56u isn't getting updates anymore, the ac86u luckily is.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9303 posts
1407 upvotes
Still a good vpn router? Or should invest in AX now? How about WRT or Tomato compatibility?
Jan 26, 2013
238 posts
193 upvotes
Good deal. I will always buy Asus routers. Why? Because they actually maintain their firmware support. I've had an AC66U for almost 8 years and the latest firmware update is a month ago. Even Asus's wireless N routers still get regular firmware updates in 2020! TP LInk and Netgear seems to drop firmware support after 2-3 years.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2395 posts
2091 upvotes
Don't buy netgear. They drop firmware support is a correct statement..