114 posts
164 upvotes

[Newegg] ASUS AC5300 Wi-Fi Tri-band Gigabit Wireless Router $269 plus

Use CEMCDNEG26 for an extra $10 to bring down to $269
8 replies
Jan 3, 2017
131 posts
169 upvotes
Router noob here. I have the Rogers 1GB package and for a while had the standard modem/router combo they give you. I know the router was pretty crappy, but I got decent speeds from it on 5G close by (maybe 500/600). Recently, it started going funky and not outputting those speeds (I got max 350) and we haven't gotten any new devices so I bought the TP link C7 AC1750 hoping this would fix it BUT I got the exact same speeds from this router even though im standing beside the router. I checked wired connection on a bunch of devices and its solid - I got 800/900 easy. So I'm not sure what to do here...could anyone offer some advice?

The C7 AC1750 claims to offer UP to 1300 download on 5.0ghz but 250/300 (which is the same as my crappy Rogers router) seems odd. Google told me that other people experienced this too on the C7, so maybe its the router...? Can anyone recommend a router they know can output proper speeds with a good wired connections? And has decent range too (covers ~1500-2000 sqft) Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7318 posts
652 upvotes
Good price....note that this is the RT model, which supports Merlin firmware. The GT model doesn't.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Jul 30, 2011
351 posts
261 upvotes
Durham region
Inter01fan wrote: ..could anyone offer some advice?
.Go to Advanced > Wireless > Wireless Settings.

Check channel width is set to the highest mode... 40 or 80 probably... but might go as high as 160.. not sure about that model.
Jan 3, 2017
131 posts
169 upvotes
incongruent wrote: .Go to Advanced > Wireless > Wireless Settings.

Check channel width is set to the highest mode... 40 or 80 probably... but might go as high as 160.. not sure about that model.
Yep I did, highest avail is 80 and still no dice
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1845 posts
342 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm currently getting 170-200Mbps with the Rogers CODA router on their gigabit package over the 5ghz channel in the basement from the main floor. Will this modem be a significant performance bump running with the CODA in bridge mode?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4490 posts
1764 upvotes
A large majority of people don't need a singular expensive mega router, just a standard $70-$120 one should suffice then add one or two access points throughout your home depending on size.

Think of a mega router as being like a guy across town yelling into a megaphone. Sure you can hear him, but if you scream back at the top of your lungs he can't hear you. That's basically your dinky ass smartphone trying to communicate back, it can't.
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: