Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] ASUS E406MA N5000 1.1 GHz Quad Core 14" IPS FHD 4GB RAM 64GB eMMC - Open Box $319 Free Shipping

[OP]
Mar 1, 2011
288 posts
561 upvotes
Fraser Valley

[Newegg] ASUS E406MA N5000 1.1 GHz Quad Core 14" IPS FHD 4GB RAM 64GB eMMC - Open Box $319 Free Shipping

I've been looking around for an inexpensive laptop to take with me on trips and use around the house to check email, browse, etc. I bought the iSmart from Canada Computers a couple of months ago and bought a M.2 SSD. It was still a bit laggy and battery was around 4 hours. London Drugs and Memory Express had these on display locally and I was quite impressed with the E406MA. Even with the eMMC, was very quick...no lag at all with 4GB RAM. Screen is great 14" IPS with matte finish. The N5000 is about 50% faster than the older Gemini Lake chips like the N3450 in the iSmart. Night and day compared to the iSmart. Now, there is no user upgradeable SSD option but the 64GB is adequate for me as I'm in the cloud with Google.

The other benefit is it has an English keyboard (I can't stand the bilingual keyboards personally). It is also fanless and totally silent. Fingerprint reader is a bonus.

Where it blows other cheap Gemini laptops is the E406MA is the 14 hour/all day battery life with the 56Wh. I've had this laptop for 2 weeks now and it goes all day and more.

Regular price is around $380-$400. Noticed that NewEgg had a few of these as an open box at $319 with free shipping. When you factor in the SSD for the iSmart, price is very competitive if not cheaper for the open box and way better performance.

• Intel® Pentium® Silver N5000, 1.1GHz Quad Core Processor (Turbo up to 2.5 GHz)
  • Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
  • 14" Full HD 1080p matte display
  • Fingerprint Reader
  • Thin and lightweight design: 17.6mm thin and 1.3kg feather-light with long-lasting battery
  • 64GB eMMC flash storage and 4GB DDR4 RAM for fast boot time
  • Ergonomic chiclet keyboard w/ Multi-format card reader

Capture.PNG
9 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12655 posts
3427 upvotes
Scarberia
hot if it had better cpu, ie, i3 and 8gb ram with hd upgradeable access
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3224 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto
Nice deal. Interesting tradeoffs in this space. It's great that FullHD / 1920x1080 is no longer reserved for expensive boxes.

I like these Atom-based CPUs. They don't drain the battery that even low power Core i processors seem to. You sure wouldn't use them for heavy computing though.

The writeup of this computer does not say that the screen is IPS. I think that that matters.

For carrying around, I like a bit smaller screen. 11.6" is nice. A small bezel would be nice too. But I do use my iSmart in front of the TV as much as a 11.6.
Aug 10, 2006
665 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. This was exactly what I was on the lookout for. A cheap light laptop to lug around when taking my bigger stuff would be a pain.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3384 posts
1842 upvotes
Hank71 wrote: I've been looking around for an inexpensive laptop to take with me on trips and use around the house to check email, browse, etc. I bought the iSmart from Canada Computers a couple of months ago and bought a M.2 SSD. It was still a bit laggy and battery was around 4 hours. London Drugs and Memory Express had these on display locally and I was quite impressed with the E406MA. Even with the eMMC, was very quick...no lag at all with 4GB RAM. Screen is great 14" IPS with matte finish. The N5000 is about 50% faster than the older Gemini Lake chips like the N3450 in the iSmart. Night and day compared to the iSmart. Now, there is no user upgradeable SSD option but the 64GB is adequate for me as I'm in the cloud with Google.

The other benefit is it has an English keyboard (I can't stand the bilingual keyboards personally). It is also fanless and totally silent. Fingerprint reader is a bonus.

Where it blows other cheap Gemini laptops is the E406MA is the 14 hour/all day battery life with the 56Wh. I've had this laptop for 2 weeks now and it goes all day and more.

Regular price is around $380-$400. Noticed that NewEgg had a few of these as an open box at $319 with free shipping. When you factor in the SSD for the iSmart, price is very competitive if not cheaper for the open box and way better performance.

• Intel® Pentium® Silver N5000, 1.1GHz Quad Core Processor (Turbo up to 2.5 GHz)
  • Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
  • 14" Full HD 1080p matte display
  • Fingerprint Reader
  • Thin and lightweight design: 17.6mm thin and 1.3kg feather-light with long-lasting battery
  • 64GB eMMC flash storage and 4GB DDR4 RAM for fast boot time
  • Ergonomic chiclet keyboard w/ Multi-format card reader

Capture.PNG
not finding finger print reader in any specifications either Newegg listing or Asus

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-Lapto ... fications/
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Aug 8, 2015
38 posts
8 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Will I get dinged with a restocking fee if I don't like it?
Mar 20, 2017
35 posts
8 upvotes
does anyone know what the return policy for open box is?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1855 posts
719 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
That is not a laptop. It is a failed tablet.