• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2021 1:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1086 posts
613 upvotes

[Newegg] Asus RT-AX92U AX6100 Wifi Routers (2 pack) - $380 after coupon

I was looking to get another Asus router so that I can use my aging AC68 as a mesh node, but stumbled on this deal instead.

2x AX92U routers for $380 after the coupon code (CEMCEYSX22). Seems like a good deal of $190 for each router.

Happy to hear other thoughts re: this being a good mesh combo/good price.
Thread Summary
If you're shopping around, take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best routers!
35 replies
Jan 26, 2011
247 posts
223 upvotes
Ajax
I wouldn’t mind trying these out and selling my amplifi setup
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21731 posts
26268 upvotes
I'll leave this settled science below.
redflagdealsguy wrote: Before we get technical, and people start going 'akshually' on me, this representation below seems to represent Asus' take on the following three routers. Factually, not quite accurate, but across multiple user discussions and multiple forums... the latter two units aren't impressing as they should be.

Again, not accurate, but in select domains, it's almost better to stick with the AX86 and be done with it (if you can get away with the feature set). Otherwise hitting the AX11000 is one way to rise above the clouds.

The above is not strictly accurate, however, it's the broad strokes impression I'm receiving.
Nov 20, 2011
31 posts
8 upvotes
LANGLEY
These are good devices, and as of the January firmware update can run ethernet backhaul without a wifi backup; all channels are available for wifi in that use.
Jul 25, 2021
23 posts
43 upvotes
I have this and it’s been a big ol pile of Pile Of Poo the last month or so that I’ve been using it.

2.4 devices constantly disconnect and reconnect and have Speed issues when they are connected.

Both 5 networks have terrible range similar speed problems.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1048 posts
772 upvotes
Lol at 1000 dollar gaming wifi routers with 4 port switches. Wut?

People honestly need to buy a respectable prosumer router, a basic switch and cheap APs that can run as mesh nodes. Doing this makes the setup modular and upgradable when it's necessary instead of buying 500 wifi routers every 2 years
Feb 2, 2015
693 posts
270 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I'll leave this settled science below.
Too bad they don't have AC86U in the chart...that should really be at the top!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1027 posts
376 upvotes
tianos wrote: On same boat as you…going to replace my GT-AC5300 with this and use the ac5300 as a node in AiMesh possibly.
Literally exactly what I am planning to do!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1027 posts
376 upvotes
IceCreamGee wrote: Lol at 1000 dollar gaming wifi routers with 4 port switches. Wut?

People honestly need to buy a respectable prosumer router, a basic switch and cheap APs that can run as mesh nodes. Doing this makes the setup modular and upgradable when it's necessary instead of buying 500 wifi routers every 2 years
Many of us just want off the shelf stuff - my AC5300 has never gone down in 6 years of usage + currently at 120 Devices (Smart home) and constant 110MB (~900mbit) download via usenet.

Totally worth it.
Oct 7, 2017
266 posts
404 upvotes
IceCreamGee wrote: Lol at 1000 dollar gaming wifi routers with 4 port switches. Wut?

Can you give an example of a router with 2 aps that would rub my 300mbs all through 2000sqft house? I can can have ethernet hooked up to aps, np. I intend to get faster speed soon, so hopefully routers can run 1gbps. I use my internet for netflix, plex, truenas, and 30-40 smart devices.
Apr 11, 2007
407 posts
128 upvotes
I had been using Merlin on my 2x AC66U_B1 since day 1 I got them. AIMesh was always not working properly for me, it doesn't switch over to the nearest AP and even if it did, it just seems to be hung, so I had to switch off WiFi and turn it on again. That kind of defeats the purpose of a Mesh system. I saw on ASUS website that back in January they had introduced AIMesh 2.0 (which I don't think it's in the latest Merlin yet). I flashed it on my two routers and reset both, now the Mesh system is working the way I expect it to. So I guess what I'm trying to say is Merlin is not always the best solution.
Feb 2, 2015
693 posts
270 upvotes
ridsama wrote: I saw on ASUS website that back in January they had introduced AIMesh 2.0 (which I don't think it's in the latest Merlin yet).
Yap it is and indeed AiMesh 2.0 works much better...https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/changelog
386.1 (30-Jan-2021)

Switched to the new 386 codebase. 386 introduces

AiMesh 2.0, finalizes the move to OpenSSL 1.1.1

firmware-wide, adds a new speedtest (powered

by Ookla). For more details, please refer

to Asus's own release notes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
9804 posts
11133 upvotes
Toronto
ridsama wrote: Can't believe a USD$550 router doesn't have 2.5Gb ethernet ports.
Which router has more than one multi-gig network port?

"Like the GT-AX11000, the GT-AXE11000 comes with two USB 3.0 ports and six network ports, including four Gigabit LANs, one Gigabit WAN, and one 2.5Gbps LAN/WAN port."
from https://dongknows.com/asus-rog-rapture- ... er-review/