Expired Hot Deals

Newegg

Asus RT-AX92U AX6100 Wifi Routers (2 pack) - $380 after coupon

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2021 1:15 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 7, 2006
1048 posts
772 upvotes
Pupsik27 wrote: Can you give an example of a router with 2 aps that would rub my 300mbs all through 2000sqft house? I can can have ethernet hooked up to aps, np. I intend to get faster speed soon, so hopefully routers can run 1gbps. I use my internet for netflix, plex, truenas, and 30-40 smart devices.
My current setup:

$225 - Edgerouter 4 ( mandatory QoS system for connections <300mbps, and firewall protection - high initial cost. In return, bufferbloat A to A+)
$20 - Basic 8 port switch (using TP Link unmanaged)
$90 - TPLINK EAP245v3 (one running one through a 1500 sqrft home, setup in basement. Buy multiple and create mesh - need controller or install on one pc)

$335 to completely revamp your home network. Want Wifi 6? Add 50 for the EAPAX1800HD

Once you go full gigabit the Edgerouter has an SFP port which will basically passthrough true gig speed, you can then turn off QoS for dl and have your upload managed if with rogers.

I dont have to deal with fivehundredthousanddollar routers like these, I don't need to deal with merlin, I don't need to deal with false promises for features from Linksys (cough WRT1900AC cough) etc

At this point I only need to worry about upgrading my APs which I don't see the need anytime soon.
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 17, 2004
99 posts
19 upvotes
Victoria, BC
IceCreamGee wrote: $335 to completely revamp your home network. Want Wifi 6? Add 50 for the EAPAX1800HD
I've been looking at upgrading my network to include wifi6. I currently have an AC68U in the basement (and love it, very stable). Any reason why I can't run a PoE cat5e to the main floor connecting a EASPAX1800HD and a) extend my wifi reach and b) introduce wifi 6 to the main floor?
Stupid forum costing me too much money...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 7, 2006
1048 posts
772 upvotes
LMC wrote: I've been looking at upgrading my network to include wifi6. I currently have an AC68U in the basement (and love it, very stable). Any reason why I can't run a PoE cat5e to the main floor connecting a EASPAX1800HD and a) extend my wifi reach and b) introduce wifi 6 to the main floor?
Never owned Asus and I couldn't tell you if adding a third party AP will allow it to create a mesh network. On the other hand, you can create multiple wired backhauls to the Asus router and use the wifi 6 from the tplink (even in mesh) after disabling the wifi from your router. Doing this on its own frees up resources to improve network processing if you have features enabled. Again if creating mesh from the tplink you'll need a dedicated controller (one pc or tplink hardware)
Member
User avatar
Dec 10, 2010
356 posts
276 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote: what's good for merlin? I have used my Ax86u almost a year with fido cable. I set to restart the router 3AM everyday, but it's still drop once a week, a couple days ago I flash Ax86u with Merlin.
Not sure if it’s the asus router. My Fido service did the same thing as your experience but I switched to Rogers for 1Gbps speeds and no drops on my GT-AC5300 now. It was likely the bad width from your Fido service wasn’t enough and just dropped service completely.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6174 posts
3551 upvotes
Ottawa
tianos wrote: Not sure if it’s the asus router. My Fido service did the same thing as your experience but I switched to Rogers for 1Gbps speeds and no drops on my GT-AC5300 now. It was likely the bad width from your Fido service wasn’t enough and just dropped service completely.
But every time I just restart the asus router, not fido modem, it will be back to normal
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Member
Feb 2, 2016
343 posts
212 upvotes
so nowaday, people are crazy on router? well, if you are gamer, forget about the wifi 6 or 5G speed because nothing compare with plug in the internet cable. unless you have a super big house like hotel and have hundred thousand devices to connect then you need the super router like this, otherwise basic reliable router should be fine. my parent are using 29 dollars wifi router for 10 years without any problem.
Member
Feb 2, 2016
343 posts
212 upvotes
btw, they are trying to design a router like transformer, look at the fansy led light, and so many antenna. and people starts to look at the ram and chip like pc. i can image one day they even put the graphic card on it. crazy!
Member
User avatar
Dec 10, 2010
356 posts
276 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote: But every time I just restart the asus router, not fido modem, it will be back to normal
Interesting. I would try the Fido modem and see as well. It was def the limited speed/bandwidth capacity if fido for my needs.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6174 posts
3551 upvotes
Ottawa
tianos wrote: Interesting. I would try the Fido modem and see as well. It was def the limited speed/bandwidth capacity if fido for my needs.
Tonight the 5GH stopped working again, 2.4gh is still working after I flashed Merlin several days. I figured out the configuration, I changed 5gh channels to auto(before I set it channel 161), it works again , I didn’t restart router this time.
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Sr. Member
May 29, 2017
987 posts
638 upvotes
Canada
Those of you running AiMesh, how do you feel about lack of ram? I definitely want 1GB RAM in my future router.

I have the AiMesh with CT8, works amazing, but if you want traffic analyzer or run many of the other features at the same time, I am limited by the 256MB Ram.

I think 1GB will be gold standard for a solid mesh setup with tri-band if you are running large # of devices in your home which most people are/will be in coming years.
Getting a Wyze V3 Indoor / Outdoor Camera? SEE my FAQ Answers❗ ➡ CLICK HERE TO SEE MY POST

Telus: $45/25GB Unlimited Data [Multi Line + $5/24Mnth Disc.]
Freedom: Everywhere $50 18GB+1GB [F&F + Digital Disc.]
Fonus: Unltd CA/US/MEX Data FREE/Month
Member
User avatar
Apr 11, 2007
407 posts
128 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Which router has more than one multi-gig network port?

"Like the GT-AX11000, the GT-AXE11000 comes with two USB 3.0 ports and six network ports, including four Gigabit LANs, one Gigabit WAN, and one 2.5Gbps LAN/WAN port."
from https://dongknows.com/asus-rog-rapture- ... er-review/
This ASUS RT-AX89X (USD$450) has 1Gb WAN, and 2 10Gb ports (10GBase-T & 10G SFP+) which can be LAN or WAN. So at least this one you have > 1Gb WAN (although don't think we have that yet in Canada, could in the future I guess) and can get a 2.5Gb switch or something to have a faster LAN setup.
Newbie
Aug 20, 2018
21 posts
20 upvotes
Classech wrote: I have this and it’s been a big ol pile of Pile Of Poo the last month or so that I’ve been using it.

2.4 devices constantly disconnect and reconnect and have Speed issues when they are connected.

Both 5 networks have terrible range similar speed problems.
I agree had, mine for a while now and I regret not taking it back when I had the chance. Devices just drop off the network at random times, sitting next to one and the signal is just gone but the unit shows as broadcasting. Biggest pain in the @ss piece of crap system I have used. Zero support for ASUS in Canada unless you want to call a long distance number.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
9631 posts
10933 upvotes
Toronto
ridsama wrote: This ASUS RT-AX89X (USD$450) has 1Gb WAN, and 2 10Gb ports (10GBase-T & 10G SFP+) which can be LAN or WAN. So at least this one you have > 1Gb WAN (although don't think we have that yet in Canada, could in the future I guess) and can get a 2.5Gb switch or something to have a faster LAN setup.
TIL, thanks

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking-I ... /RT-AX89X/

"The RT-AX89X comes with two 10G ports, one Base-T and SFP+ port, which means both fiber and copper 10G connections are supported. Capture ISP advertised speeds or use your own 10G LAN network between PCs and NAS."


Bell Home Hub 4000 has 2.5 Gbps port, this modem/router is for their 1.5 Gbps fibe service.
Jr. Member
Sep 11, 2019
106 posts
73 upvotes
ManboH740907 wrote: so nowaday, people are crazy on router? well, if you are gamer, forget about the wifi 6 or 5G speed because nothing compare with plug in the internet cable. unless you have a super big house like hotel and have hundred thousand devices to connect then you need the super router like this, otherwise basic reliable router should be fine. my parent are using 29 dollars wifi router for 10 years without any problem.

Your parents might be ok with 5 mbps wifi speed around the house (which is not even enough to stream HD content)

Top