Newegg

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm Headphones, $159 from newegg

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2021 1:24 am
65 replies
Nov 14, 2008
373 posts
199 upvotes
I got these for $187 a year ago, great headphones. I love my Sennheiser HD598/9 (50ohm), and these DT990 Pro (250ohm) are a bit better in sound quality, both are extremely comfortable.

You do need an amp to properly power them, you cant simply use your phone or computer. I got a Fiio X1 portable player, and on my comp I got a Fiio E10k external sound card. Those two devices are the minimum amp needed to power these 250 ohm headphones.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6300 posts
4807 upvotes
M-Arkham
good deal, but can't justify this spending
1x Zoomer $45 for 7GB ,unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide txt/talk small plan(+3GB bonus )
1x Fido $45 for 4Gb w/ unlimited Canada wide n 1000 int min + LG velvet 5G
Jul 13, 2016
231 posts
460 upvotes
250 ohm isn't something you'd drive with a cell phone FYI potential buyers
Oct 22, 2014
38 posts
14 upvotes
Laval, QC
I don't need these but it's a really good deal ! Thanks OP
Jul 10, 2015
13 posts
5 upvotes
Montreal, QC
These deals make me regret coming to RDF haha! Thanks Op! Gf asking me how many pair of ears I have Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes!
Jul 3, 2015
296 posts
745 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Ugh, why do I visit RFD...

I just spent money on headphones recently getting the Sennheiser HD 58X; I do not need these...

...order placed. Thread upvoted.
Sep 4, 2019
8 posts
20 upvotes
Personally not a fan of the sound of these headphones. Very fatiguing to listen to with very bright treble. Great bass which some might find overpowering. Slightly recessed mids. With EQ they are not as bad and make for a good gaming headphone.

I personally would not buy these again, but others may enjoy them.
Dec 29, 2020
105 posts
80 upvotes
FourCuteCats wrote: Personally not a fan of the sound of these headphones. Very fatiguing to listen to with very bright treble. Great bass which some might find overpowering. Slightly recessed mids. With EQ they are not as bad and make for a good gaming headphone.

I personally would not buy these again, but others may enjoy them.
Well, these are definitely not gaming headphones, FYI.
Sep 4, 2019
8 posts
20 upvotes
Disagree. I've seen these suggested in several places for gaming. Type Dt990 gaming into google and you will see several posts recommending them. They are not gaming headphones only in the sense that they don't have a built in mic.
Last edited by FourCuteCats on Dec 8th, 2021 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5811 posts
743 upvotes
Ottawa
BoraS57395 wrote: Well, these are definitely not gaming headphones, FYI.
These likely blow all other "gaming" headphones out of the water if you compliment this with a mic. You will get a lot more information (positioning and footsteps) than the gaming headphones you get on the market. This is mainly when talking about competitive FPS however.

I just purchased some AKG k712 pros for gaming and don't regret it. Upfront costs are high however as you need a DAC and headphone amp to drive these. I ended up buying a Schiit stack shipped from the US for around 300 canadian.

I would have purchased these if I hadn't bought my AKGs from the UK a few weeks ago.
Sep 25, 2018
898 posts
1727 upvotes
Everyone says you need an amp for this but I just plug this into my laptop and it works wonders. I also tried the 80ohm version and the 250ohm doesn't sound worse due to high impedance and lack of amp. My laptop is 16" Macbook Pro if that makes any difference. An audiophile friend of mine did say Macbooks have pretty decent amp.

Mine only complaint is the clamps are very tight, but that should loosen over time. The highs are very bright which can make you uncomfortable over extended use. You can either put an EQ over it to soften the high, or take breaks evey hour or so.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5811 posts
743 upvotes
Ottawa
AlicW93740 wrote: Everyone says you need an amp for this but I just plug this into my laptop and it works wonders. I also tried the 80ohm version and the 250ohm doesn't sound worse due to high impedance and lack of amp. My laptop is 16" Macbook Pro if that makes any difference. An audiophile friend of mine did say Macbooks have pretty decent amp.

Mine only complaint is the clamps are very tight, but that should loosen over time. The highs are very bright which can make you uncomfortable over extended use. You can either put an EQ over it to soften the high, or take breaks evey hour or so.
Yea, I think Macs are generally much better out of the box. They make one of the most recommended budget USB DAC/AMP dongles.

Having said that, they would likely sound better overall with a better setup.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2006
1421 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks been, waiting for this for 2 years. Will pair nicely with my Sound blaster G6 and Xbox
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2309 posts
1021 upvotes
Montréal, QC
soupmaster666 wrote: 250 ohm isn't something you'd drive with a cell phone FYI potential buyers
Is the Fiio BTR3K enough to drive them?
Nov 30, 2013
724 posts
777 upvotes
AlicW93740 wrote: Everyone says you need an amp for this but I just plug this into my laptop and it works wonders. I also tried the 80ohm version and the 250ohm doesn't sound worse due to high impedance and lack of amp. My laptop is 16" Macbook Pro if that makes any difference. An audiophile friend of mine did say Macbooks have pretty decent amp.

What is your laptop? It must have a good amp inside already. My Dell G15 can't even drive a K701 60 ohm correctly.
Nov 30, 2013
724 posts
777 upvotes
$180 shipped is a steal for this pair. Thanks OP. Ordered 1.
Oct 29, 2019
389 posts
283 upvotes
BoraS57395 wrote: Well, these are definitely not gaming headphones, FYI.
This is actually one of the most highly rated gaming headphones you can get, along with DT 1990 Pro, and of course, Sennheiser HD800S. Cheaper alternative is the Sennheiser PC38X which doesn't need dac/amp but has top tier sound for low price.