Expired Hot Deals

Newegg

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm Headphones, $159 from newegg

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2021 1:24 am
Nov 24, 2020
557 posts
1225 upvotes
I had this headphones model before, with 250 Ohm.
They sounded great and were comfortable (pads are silky soft but headphones are not for wide head - you may feel high pressure, it was Ok for me), however, my Dac-x6 headphone amplifier was not enough to power them when I want to listen loud or listen to low volume recordings. I was thinking to buy DT990 with lower impedance, but finally just sold them.
But if you are ok with medium volume level only, get them for this nice price.
Last edited by Hauntednsk on Dec 8th, 2021 10:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mar 9, 2007
509 posts
111 upvotes
I have these headphones. My Nintendo Switch, phones, work laptop, and desktop PC have no issues driving them without an amp. They're all capable of driving the headphones beyond an uncomfortable volume for me. I have an amp that I don't bother using most times because it doesn't make any difference to my ears (except upping the volume farther beyond a comfortable level). Some might argue that an amp would improve the sound, but my non-audiophile ears haven't noticed any difference.
Last edited by xmai77 on Dec 8th, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 20, 2018
652 posts
1019 upvotes
Can anyone comment on how comfortable these are? Even better if you can reference another pair like the SHP9500.

Sorry I should have mentioned for anyone with glasses.
Nov 24, 2020
557 posts
1225 upvotes
anthony9 wrote: Can anyone comment on how comfortable these are? Even better if you can reference another pair like the SHP9500.
Pads are silky touch, very soft to skin - better than SPH9500, however, 990 may give you more pressure on your head sitting tighter than SHP9500. I guess DT990 are not good for glasses because of the pressure. SHP should be sitting more relaxed and be more comfortable with glasses.
Nov 19, 2021
63 posts
61 upvotes
xmai77 wrote: I have these headphones. My Nintendo Switch, phones, work laptop, and desktop PC have no issues driving them without an amp. They're all capable of driving the headphones beyond an uncomfortable volume for me. I have an amp that I don't bother using most times because it doesn't make any difference to my ears (except upping the volume farther beyond a comfortable level). Some might argue that an amp would improve the sound, but my non-audiophile ears haven't noticed any difference.

I would say pretty similar, you can easily bend the frame for Dt990s to reduce pressure. FWIW my pair of 990s broke a few years back and I'm considering getting another, they were my favourite set. Main downside is need a seperate mic, and can't use my vmoda boom.
Last edited by bigduckking on Dec 8th, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 6, 2012
67 posts
31 upvotes
Sold out!
How do these headphones compare to the drop HD58x? I have already ordered the HD58x and I am still waiting for them to be delivered. I will mostly be using the headphones to listen to music on my computer and for playing games.
Oct 10, 2019
397 posts
385 upvotes
pallfy wrote: I got these for $187 a year ago, great headphones. I love my Sennheiser HD598/9 (50ohm), and these DT990 Pro (250ohm) are a bit better in sound quality, both are extremely comfortable.

You do need an amp to properly power them, you cant simply use your phone or computer. I got a Fiio X1 portable player, and on my comp I got a Fiio E10k external sound card. Those two devices are the minimum amp needed to power these 250 ohm headphones.
I have a Fiio X1 also. GREATTTTTTTTTTTT!!! I will see about ordering the headphones. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7157 posts
3333 upvotes
Canuckland
soupmaster666 wrote: 250 ohm isn't something you'd drive with a cell phone FYI potential buyers
Who would use this in a phone lol
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2777 posts
893 upvotes
Is this better then the Sennheiser HD58x? Got the HD58x for 129$ us during black Friday plus $32 duty and taxes
Feb 10, 2008
70 posts
112 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: 250 ohm isn't something you'd drive with a cell phone FYI potential buyers
LG phones (RIP) do have a high impedance mode and will work with these (I have the 770s in 250 ohms) but obviously won't get extremely loud. Still, it's loud enough for me so it really depends on your use case and your phone.

What a shame the deal is out of stock now. My 770s are the most comfortable headphones ever and I would've really loved to try the open back 990s.
Dec 29, 2020
105 posts
80 upvotes
TripleHelix wrote: These likely blow all other "gaming" headphones out of the water if you compliment this with a mic. You will get a lot more information (positioning and footsteps) than the gaming headphones you get on the market. This is mainly when talking about competitive FPS however.

I just purchased some AKG k712 pros for gaming and don't regret it. Upfront costs are high however as you need a DAC and headphone amp to drive these. I ended up buying a Schiit stack shipped from the US for around 300 canadian.

I would have purchased these if I hadn't bought my AKGs from the UK a few weeks ago.
This still doesn't change the fact that these are not meant to be gaming headphones. These are production headsets. You love them as a gaming headset is another story and a plus for the headset. But I don't understand people who bash these set for not being very good in gaming, as you can see in the post I quoted.
Dec 13, 2012
114 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario
Dang, I just missed this one :( IMO these are great entry-level open back headphones for audio production and home studio use.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7227 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote: Who would use this in a phone lol
Definitely will need a dac/amp dongle at the very least to get any worthy value out of these.
Oct 24, 2019
572 posts
868 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote: Who would use this in a phone lol
Pr3Va1L wrote: LG phones (RIP) do have a high impedance mode and will work with these.
I use my DT880 600Ohm with my LG V20 for years and scrambled to get the LG V60 before LG stopped selling phones.
600Ohms is a stretch for the LG Quad DAC, it gets loud enough but the Bass extension and Bass Impact is down.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6839 posts
3356 upvotes
Debtario
Glad this is OOS, was tempted to try these but dont need them, plus not a fan if open backs. Already got the denon D7200, m50, and 598 from previous rfd deals.

The D7200 are great, but I tend to rock the M50s. The 598 in burl wood sit unused in a box somewhere, forgot about them until now lol
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)