Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm Headphones, $159 from newegg

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2021 1:24 am
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1792 posts
1325 upvotes
Vancouver
Great headphones, bought and returned them many years ago due to me being too used to the Sennheiser Veil lol. I just couldn't deal with the sibilance, but I'm sure most can.
Mar 9, 2007
509 posts
111 upvotes
bigduckking wrote: I would say pretty similar, you can easily bend the frame for Dt990s to reduce pressure. FWIW my pair of 990s broke a few years back and I'm considering getting another, they were my favourite set. Main downside is need a seperate mic, and can't use my vmoda boom.
I've modded mine so that the cable is removable. Quite easy to do. Very happy with the mod as I can also use a bluetooth receiver for it (yes, my MPOW BT receiver can drive these headphones just fine).

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/com ... le_mod_by/
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5812 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
BoraS57395 wrote: This still doesn't change the fact that these are not meant to be gaming headphones. These are production headsets. You love them as a gaming headset is another story and a plus for the headset. But I don't understand people who bash these set for not being very good in gaming, as you can see in the post I quoted.
What they are meant for does not matter. It's how well they perform for a given task. And they perform better than any gaming marketed headset out there except for very few models which most people don't know about such as the Tygr 300s and the pc38x, Audeze Penrose, etc.

Compare these to Turtle Beach, Astro, Arctis and they will sound better and give you a better advantage in FPS gaming than the others.

Also, the post you were replying to was pointing out general complaints for this model of headphone. People complain about the peaks in the highs whether they are used for music or gaming. Applying the EQ helps these in all aspects of use and after applying they state they were good gaming headphones.

Gaming headphones are just marketing to help sell subpar headphones because they look cooler and have a shitty mic boom attached. People looking to upgrade their gaming headphones and do proper research quickly move past 95% of the gaming headset market because they all sound like trash.
Sep 4, 2019
9 posts
21 upvotes
I have both and let me say I stopped using my DT990's not long after I got my 58x
Dec 2, 2021
20 posts
34 upvotes
Damn, can't believe I missed this. Looks like the deal is dead - back to $269.00.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1706 posts
1829 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
d0nuts wrote: Damn, can't believe I missed this. Looks like the deal is dead - back to $269.00.
Not dead, actually back in stock (as of this post).The headphones list as $269 but there's red text on the page that says "+ $110 off w/ promo code CH2AZZ748, limited offer". Use that to bring the price down.
Jul 18, 2015
193 posts
158 upvotes
Mascouche, QC
I do. 23.37$. Wish there was none !!
Dec 2, 2019
72 posts
85 upvotes
FrankDracman wrote: $27.02 Shipping

Is everyone getting the shipping charge?
I ordered early on and was not charged any shipping, only taxes.
Aug 15, 2014
64 posts
85 upvotes
Saint-Hubert-Riviere…
23.37$ shipping says Duty&Brokerage included, maybe shipping from outside CA.
May 15, 2012
724 posts
406 upvotes
NORTH YORK
dieslow wrote: I do. 23.37$. Wish there was none !!
23.37$ includes the duties/tax so isn't bad

no...at checkout page hst is extra...
Nov 10, 2016
209 posts
260 upvotes
Montreal, Qc.
TripleHelix wrote: What they are meant for does not matter. It's how well they perform for a given task. And they perform better than any gaming marketed headset out there except for very few models which most people don't know about such as the Tygr 300s and the pc38x, Audeze Penrose, etc.

Compare these to Turtle Beach, Astro, Arctis and they will sound better and give you a better advantage in FPS gaming than the others.

Also, the post you were replying to was pointing out general complaints for this model of headphone. People complain about the peaks in the highs whether they are used for music or gaming. Applying the EQ helps these in all aspects of use and after applying they state they were good gaming headphones.

Gaming headphones are just marketing to help sell subpar headphones because they look cooler and have a shitty mic boom attached. People looking to upgrade their gaming headphones and do proper research quickly move past 95% of the gaming headset market because they all sound like trash.
Agreed, there are is a lot of stuff that is designed and marketed to do one thing, but performs really good in other areas, I still don't understand why some people still say that these type pf headphones are not for gaming, when it is being proven that they perform excellent for gaming and they are well recommended and reviewed as more than excellent gaming headphones, lol, also to add, you could argue that every "gaming" accessory its just a gimmick to sell more crap stuff at a better price, there are some exceptions of course ,but for the most part is just crap. /rant away lol.

Anyway having said all that, its hard for me to buy these as I am trying to replace some old Philips headphones, the mighty shp9500 (excellent sound, the most comfortable), but I've seen a lot of comparisons and apparently the dt 990 pro are just marginally better than the Philips, and in some points the Philips are better, at least for gaming and general usage, so its not worth the high price, Philips did a well job with the shp9500, its hard to find a replacement, just for reference I tried some Sennheiser gsp500 and those were utterly crap and the clamp game me migraines, also got the game one, these ones sounded better, but that clamping force is a lot, I had to return them, so yet still looking for a good replacement for my Philips.
Mar 24, 2015
429 posts
297 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
cgg123321 wrote: Great headphones, bought and returned them many years ago due to me being too used to the Sennheiser Veil lol. I just couldn't deal with the sibilance, but I'm sure most can.
That's what did it for me. Wicked spike around 8-10K that was painful.
Aug 3, 2017
72 posts
47 upvotes
ericornucopia wrote: 23.37$ includes the duties/tax so isn't bad

no...at checkout page hst is extra...
Did you end up getting it? It's like $204.25 after tax, duties, shipping Confused Face
May 15, 2012
724 posts
406 upvotes
NORTH YORK
xKennn wrote: Did you end up getting it? It's like $204.25 after tax, duties, shipping Confused Face
If I need one I'd get one for this price. But not really in need of it so didn't buy...
Oct 5, 2005
619 posts
190 upvotes
BoraS57395 wrote: Well, these are definitely not gaming headphones, FYI.
i'll join the others who disagree. i've been using a pair of these for console gaming for the better part of a decade. i've lost count of how many times i've rage quitted rainbow 6 seige and vigorously chucked these away, since they were clearly the issue, not my skill, they are still in great condition. i attribute that to the metal frame. as for the mic, i just use the built-in mic on the dual sense.
yo!
Apr 2, 2015
254 posts
1303 upvotes
White Rock, BC
bigduckking wrote: I would say pretty similar, you can easily bend the frame for Dt990s to reduce pressure. FWIW my pair of 990s broke a few years back and I'm considering getting another, they were my favourite set. Main downside is need a seperate mic, and can't use my vmoda boom.
Any tips on how to bend it without breaking? I have a Sennheiser that clamps my head like it's going to explode, but I'm afraid of snapping the band in half because they're too good a headphones otherwise.
Nov 19, 2021
63 posts
61 upvotes
sounddeal wrote: Any tips on how to bend it without breaking? I have a Sennheiser that clamps my head like it's going to explode, but I'm afraid of snapping the band in half because they're too good a headphones otherwise.
What's the model? First i would make sure it's a flexible/tough metal, not springy. It's also preferable if the band isn't encased in plastic. The Beyers are extremely easy to bend, the metal is almost made for it, but I'd be lying if I said i hasn't purposefully bent others that aren't so thick.
Apr 2, 2015
254 posts
1303 upvotes
White Rock, BC
bigduckking wrote: What's the model? First i would make sure it's a flexible/tough metal, not springy. It's also preferable if the band isn't encased in plastic. The Beyers are extremely easy to bend, the metal is almost made for it, but I'd be lying if I said i hasn't purposefully bent others that aren't so thick.
They're these: HD 4.50BTNC - https://en-ca.sennheiser.com/wireless-h ... -4-50-btnc

I have tried bending them a bit, but I'll probably just give them away to a family member. It hurts my head, otherwise great headphones for the price.
Jan 15, 2015
12 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
Hey everyone, sorry if this is off topic but I was wondering if anyone had experience with repairing their Beyerdynamics headphones. I have a pair of DT 1990 Pro and one side of the audio stopped working. If anyone has an audio repair shop they recommend or have experience with, that would be greatly appreciated. I've spoken to Long and McQuade but they don't do repairs if the headphones weren't sold by them, and with the cost of the headphones I was hoping to bring it to a reputable shop. I am located in Toronto, and any suggestions or advice would be very helpful.