Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] 240gb OCZ eMLC SSD $65 (refurbished)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2016 5:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes

[Newegg] 240gb OCZ eMLC SSD $65 (refurbished)

Guys I'm sharing this deal because others are posting deals on TLC drives that are more expensive than this, and that's just not right IMO. TLC drives are junk. Even though this drive is refurbished, it should be much better than a TLC based drive with much better endurance and much faster sustained write speeds.

People have been saying that they have been receiving these drives in like new condition. I don't know if they are somehow wiping the SMART data on them, however people are saying they are receiving them with zero writes on the drive.

You guys should note that this is a 9.2mm drive and it won't fit in a lot of laptops.

Enjoy!
54 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28885 posts
9381 upvotes
There's basically a whole thread on these drives already, no? Granted it's titled Saber but it's for the bunch of them.

The thing is with the Saber and Intrepid the write IOPS are severely cut down on these drives--1/3 to 1/4 of what the consumer versions (Vector, Vertex 4) are.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
I think it's pretty clear from all the other threads that all the refurb SSDs have their usage count wiped to zero, so you have no idea how much lifespan they have left.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10367 posts
6844 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: ...
You guys should note that this is a 9.2mm drive and it won't fit in a lot of laptops.
Depends on what you see as "lot of laptops". The usual* form factor for 2.5 inch drives is 9.5mm in height.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3467 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
Suggest putting in the title that this is an MLC drive.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
flame02 wrote: Suggest putting in the title that this is an MLC drive.
Good idea. I edited the OP.
Sr. Member
Apr 11, 2003
686 posts
157 upvotes
Edmonton
ES_Revenge wrote: There's basically a whole thread on these drives already, no? Granted it's titled Saber but it's for the bunch of them.

The thing is with the Saber and Intrepid the write IOPS are severely cut down on these drives--1/3 to 1/4 of what the consumer versions (Vector, Vertex 4) are.
As they should be. These are not consumer drives, so no one really should be trying to compare them to that. The write IOPS are lower, but are warrantied for 5 years. Also they'll do 1 DWPD - the Vector/Vertex will do 0.3. That's a massive difference. The "e" in "eMLC" is Enterprise.

Don't like it if you don't want to - but it's not apples to apples. These are more suited to servers than desktops.
Sr. Member
Dec 14, 2005
824 posts
329 upvotes
Mississauga
a bit more info about this drive from Anandtech here
Member
Jul 5, 2007
223 posts
87 upvotes
Guelph
JamesA1 wrote: I think it's pretty clear from all the other threads that all the refurb SSDs have their usage count wiped to zero, so you have no idea how much lifespan they have left.
Rolling back the ol' odometer trick eh?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28885 posts
9381 upvotes
netwise wrote: As they should be. These are not consumer drives, so no one really should be trying to compare them to that. The write IOPS are lower, but are warrantied for 5 years. Also they'll do 1 DWPD - the Vector/Vertex will do 0.3. That's a massive difference. The "e" in "eMLC" is Enterprise.

Don't like it if you don't want to - but it's not apples to apples. These are more suited to servers than desktops.
Not saying I don't like it, I'm just pointing out the difference to people. As you say they are more suited to servers. They're going to be "fast" for anyone that isn't using anything faster and they certainly have write endurance but the write performance is a lot lower than it would be if it were a consumer version.
Penalty Box
May 28, 2016
56 posts
53 upvotes
these are enterprise drives, they have low IOPS, so dont get them. wait and buy a desktop SSD for the same price.
Say NO to terrorists.

Click here if you dare.
.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
803 upvotes
Swobiye wrote: these are enterprise drives, they have low IOPS, so dont get them. wait and buy a desktop SSD for the same price.
"Low" Relatively, they are still speedy drives unless you do a lot of heavy day-to-day writing constantly which most people do not do. Reads are up there with consumer drives.
Penalty Box
May 28, 2016
56 posts
53 upvotes
tkyoshi wrote: "Low" Relatively, they are still speedy drives unless you do a lot of heavy day-to-day writing constantly which most people do not do. Reads are up there with consumer drives.
i still say unless you need an SSD right away you should wait for another 240gb SSD deal to show up and get a non-enterprise drive for the same price. there really isn't a good reason to settle for this drive when SSDs have been going on sale so often recently.
Say NO to terrorists.

Click here if you dare.
.
Newbie
Dec 15, 2015
50 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JamesA1 wrote: I think it's pretty clear from all the other threads that all the refurb SSDs have their usage count wiped to zero, so you have no idea how much lifespan they have left.
These drives are basically new OEM drive, no refurbisher goes into the drive and wipe usage count 1 by 1.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3467 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: Good idea. I edited the OP.
No problem, its good to get constructive feedback isn't it :)
Member
User avatar
Dec 26, 2007
433 posts
36 upvotes
i noticed that three intrepid 3700 i bought from newegg (2x240G, 1x960G) all got hdtune pro interface crc error count > 200 and keep increasing along with use, for instance, after running once AS SSD Benchmark, it will increase 5. in contrast, refurbished samsung sv843 960G's interface crc error count is always zero.
Member
Feb 10, 2008
493 posts
175 upvotes
Ottawa
thnx OP, in for 2. Perfect upgrades for some old towers running 5400 rpm HDD's. They are gonna fly now!
Member
Aug 23, 2013
210 posts
76 upvotes
MONTR
ES_Revenge wrote: There's basically a whole thread on these drives already, no? Granted it's titled Saber but it's for the bunch of them.

The thing is with the Saber and Intrepid the write IOPS are severely cut down on these drives--1/3 to 1/4 of what the consumer versions (Vector, Vertex 4) are.
SSD performance will be decreased while you write more and more data on it.

Enterprise class labeled their steady-state performance, aka sustained performance or performance in worst condition, this is the bottom line of its performance.

Consumer class product labeled their initial performance, aka empty performance or best performance. They should not be compared directly.

The actual performance of enterprise class products are generally better than their consumer class counterparts and the enterprise class have better performance consistency.
Member
Aug 23, 2013
210 posts
76 upvotes
MONTR
vostro wrote: i noticed that three intrepid 3700 i bought from newegg (2x240G, 1x960G) all got hdtune pro interface crc error count > 200 and keep increasing along with use, for instance, after running once AS SSD Benchmark, it will increase 5. in contrast, refurbished samsung sv843 960G's interface crc error count is always zero.
This is host write info, you can validate it by copying 20gb data to your SSD, and you will find that this value increase 20.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 10, 2008
596 posts
70 upvotes
TXSeraph wrote: This is host write info, you can validate it by copying 20gb data to your SSD, and you will find that this value increase 20.
I want to use this drive in an external case. I'd be using the drive to backup client data, possibly even store images of said client computers. Should I purchase this with this purpose in mind? Other option was:

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14720DR9999

Top