Expired Hot Deals

Newegg.ca

ASUS RT-AX86U router - $120.74 (third party seller)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 2:53 pm
Thread Summary
If you're upgrading your WiFi, take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best routers!
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
6142 posts
647 upvotes
Kanata
Is that legit? I spend more than double of this price last BF when it is on sale?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1390 posts
343 upvotes
I'm too afraid to consider it.... Dunno about 3rd parties on Newegg and the price is far too sweet.
Mar 5, 2020
36 posts
59 upvotes
if anyone actually decides to buy it from the seller plz report back. Fireif legit
Sep 7, 2011
13 posts
17 upvotes
TORONTO
The seller's other items are heavily discounted as well, seems sketch.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20288 posts
4814 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I have this router and I recommend it. The low price makes me suspicious:
- Does it come with malicious firmware pre-installed?
- Was it banned from services like Trend Micro, which are supposed to come with the router?
- What is the warranty status?
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1390 posts
343 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: - Does it come with malicious firmware pre-installed?
That's the thing, eh? This is a router, the one thing you don't want to be compromised.
Like, everything goes through this....

If there's ever a device that could be a true trojan horse, this could be it. Perhaps, I am being paranoid...
Sep 14, 2017
14 posts
1 upvote
Was looking for this everywhere but couldn't find any in stock so ended up settling for the RT-AX82U due it being an ATL at Best Buy right now.

The price for this seems way too good to be true. Good luck for those taking a chance on it.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20288 posts
4814 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
nambit wrote: That's the thing, eh? This is a router, the one thing you don't want to be compromised.
Like, everything goes through this....

If there's ever a device that could be a true trojan horse, this could be it. Perhaps, I am being paranoid...
Not paranoid. Phones with pre-loaded malware have been found before, shipping from AliExpress.
- casual gastronomist -
Feb 16, 2015
28 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
I am so tempted.....$120 is too good to be true..
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31237 posts
1938 upvotes
Fernando Poo
flexsingh wrote: If any issues does newegg step in?
Fat chance. If they're making money they won't care. Just look at all the ORICO crap they sell.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2564 posts
771 upvotes
Lévis
If i'm not mistaken, newegg costumer service is average at best. And we're talking of a third party seller here...
Too risky IMHO.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4854 posts
949 upvotes
rural ontario
I've found newegg customer service very good much like Amazon. But 3rd party sites you are mostly at the mercy of the seller if things go wrong.
Feb 24, 2018
495 posts
233 upvotes
Any other AX routers with a similar price better than this at least in terms of range? I'd prefer to stick to 1st party new even if it means an extra $20-40 for this.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5443 posts
2873 upvotes
West Vancouver
Red flags... indeed.
Feb 2, 2016
330 posts
205 upvotes
i placed an order by paypal, i dont care with it since paypal will pay me back if something goes wrong.
Dec 11, 2008
545 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, if anyone bought this thinking that they could just flash the firmware to clear any potential malware, think again.
You would have to do this manually as a firmware update only clears part of the memory.