newegg.ca : bait and ...

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2010 4:53 pm
[OP]
Sep 26, 2009
127 posts
16 upvotes

newegg.ca : bait and ...

I've had pretty good experiences with Canadian e-retailers, especially ncix who are also not far from where I live. However, there's always items of trade that are common in the USA but you can't get 'em--or pay a lot more--in Canada. Another example is amazon.com vs. amazon.ca.

Enter the hybrid newegg.ca, a US retailer with a relatively friendly face towards Canada. I had identified a couple of rare (for Canada) items that I wanted to get from them, and was examining their Shell Shocker deals to make a good package. Finally a Shell Shocker deal came up for a Maha, the POWEREX MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for $50, regular price $91. The same item is available from Thomas Distributing every day for $us49 but I figured there really are savings, especially in shipping, in getting a bunch of items from one place. So I made out an order that went to five items. From previous experience with Shell Shocker deals, which expire in a few hours, I knew that I had to work quickly. Everything was accepted until after I had given the credit card number. A message came up, that they had insufficient stock of the Maha and that it had been dropped from my order. The shipping charges, interestingly enough, remained the same. They had gone up slightly with each of the five small items I had added, but when this equally heavy and bulky object was dropped from the order, newegg charged the same.

So, I thought, "too bad, the Maha sold out while I was making up my order" but just for fun I went back to the Shocker page and reloaded. No indication of it being sold out. Just for fun, I went through the entire order process again, with exactly the same result.

Now that was annoying. I went to online customer chat and their rep "Lola" made two suggestions. After inquiring about the item in question, first she suggested that I attempt to order the Shell Shocker item on its own, no other items. I told her that I hoped to realize some savings by consolidating the order, but for the sake of science did as she suggested. Same result. As a side issue, it is clear that "Lola", who works for newegg, knew that the item was still in stock by being able to access their computer. Otherwise, Occam's Razor. Then she said that she had been in touch with her supervisor, and was informed that they had had a computer glitch. She suggested that I attempt to make the order from a different computer. With that she figured that the conversation was at an end and brought matters to a close. This erased the entire conversation, though luckily I had managed to save some of it with ^C. I was able to attempt the order from a different PC within a couple of minutes, but with the same result.

So there was a glitch in newegg.ca's computers that prevented me from completing an order. I wanted to be able to make that order. I emailed customer support and met up with "Linda". She apologized, but wasn't willing to do anything. Not a raincheck, nothing. She did stress this, though: "Please kindly note that every product we carry is listed on our
website, pricing and availability posted in real time."
which of course was exactly the thing that did not happen.

I gave her another chance to come forward with something, then I asked her to close my account.

I feel that I was baited by the Shell Shocker deal and then switched to an order without it.

In newegg's favour, I'd have to say that their customer reps did respond quickly to my inquiries, just not ultimately in a way that was satisfactory.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2138 posts
877 upvotes
The Shell Shocker deal for the battery charger came with free shipping. That's why your shipping charges didn't change after it was removed from your order.

I don't see it as being a bait and switch, but it's a problem Newegg has with their website when an item has just sold out or is close to selling out. It's never happened to me, but I've seen a few complaints from other people about this.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
Had the same problem with this charger. Tried to order during several hours - it shown as in stock on product page but after entering CC info it was dropped from the order with the same message OP mentioned. Ant BTW I ordered just this item alone.

Taking into account I did not really needed it this glitch saved me 50$ so I do not complain :D
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9081 posts
2086 upvotes
It seems pretty clear that there weren't willing to sell the item anyways. When you spoke with "Lola" she should've offered to process the order on her end, much like a telephone order. Same tactics as Staples hiding stock if you ask me.
[OP]
Sep 26, 2009
127 posts
16 upvotes
CalgaryRunner wrote: The Shell Shocker deal for the battery charger came with free shipping. That's why your shipping charges didn't change after it was removed from your order.
Thanks for the pointer. I never noticed that. The Shell Shocker page doesn't mention shipping, so I assumed that it would be charged. But when I just tried to order (for Science!) today's Shell Shocker, it added $0 for Purolator delivery when I gave it the postal code. Have I been too critical of the ovanovas?
[OP]
Sep 26, 2009
127 posts
16 upvotes
GrapeBunch wrote:
I gave her another chance to come forward with something, then I asked her to close my account.
In view of this reply:
We sincerely apologize about the inconvenience, however, there is not a way to close an existing account.
You have the option to leave the account idle at this time.
maybe I wasn't critical enough about the ovanova. They baited me with a deal. They had stock, but said they didn't. They got my credit card info, and they won't delete the account. I have since falsified all the visible data in my newegg.ca account, but of course the correct info would be in their system or backups.

Most e-retailers that I deal with do not record your credit card number. You enter it with each purchase. I consider that a feature. Newegg.ca records and retains your credit card number, though when showing it back to you they do *** out most of the numbers.

Who ever heard of a database system that doesn't have a "Delete Record" facility? No wonder they have problems keeping track of orders. But frankly I don't believe it. I wonder if there's a Gov of Canada consumer protection type agency that might help?
Oct 27, 2008
13 posts
Toronto
Dear GrapeBunch,

There are a few issues here that I’d like to address. First, I apologize that you were unable to complete your order. Second, Customer Service should have provided you with better support and you have my humble apologies that this did not happen and corrective actions will be taken. Third, I can assure you that we do not intentionally offer products that we cannot fulfill.

Linda was correct in stating that pricing and availability are posted in real time. What she did not express (and I assure you that this will be brought to her Supervisor’s attention) is that no system is perfect and there is a slight delay in updating inventory to match our website. Our site is designed to not allow you to order something that we do not have in stock; however, if an item is in high demand and the inventory depletes within a few hours, you can imagine the updating that our system must do to compensate. I agree that in today’s day and age, there should not be a delay and this is something we are constantly working on. I am glad to hear that you immediately received the notification, though.

Frankie3s wrote: When you spoke with "Lola" she should've offered to process the order on her end, much like a telephone order.
Actually Frankie3s, we do not accept phone orders nor do we process orders for customers. All orders must be placed through our website, unfortunately. http://www.newegg.ca/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=12

GrapeBunch wrote: We sincerely apologize about the inconvenience, however, there is not a way to close an existing account.
You have the option to leave the account idle at this time.
It is true that we cannot delete accounts, though. As it sounds like you’ve done, you are more than welcome to delete all the personal information within the account. The reason behind this is that accounts have information that may need to be obtained later down the road. For instance, say you needed an invoice to obtain warranty from a manufacturer. If we delete your account, there’s no way to obtain this and then you are not able to obtain service for the item. I understand that some accounts may not have orders in them so this does not apply, but I hope this gives you a better understanding behind our reasoning. In addition, during check out, there is a box that you can select to choose whether or not our site saves your credit card information. Please also note that our site never saves the CVV2 information.

Overall, this situation should have been handled much differently by our customer service department and I would like to get in contact with you to rectify this ASAP. Please contact me by calling me at 800-390-1119 ext 25092 or e-mailing me at [email protected].

Thank you for bringing this situation to my attention and I look forward to helping you.
Sincerely,

Newegg.ca Support
[OP]
Sep 26, 2009
127 posts
16 upvotes
Joshua from Newegg support phoned me. He offered to honour the Shell Shocker deal that I missed due to their server glitch. I suppose that fulfills Newegg's moral obligation to me, and I'm pretty much satisfied. I'm still not happy with the thought that my credit card number might be in their database forever, but suppose I could just nullify it after making an order.

-------------
That was annoying. I composed this post (actually a longer one, see below!), my RedFlagDeals login timed out, I tried to "Preview Post", it asked me to log in (so far, perfect!) and when I did, it lost the text I had composed. It also was wiped out on Ctrl-LeftArrow. Just gone. I guess I should have Ctrl-A Ctrl-C'd my way to happiness.
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
Newegg_Support wrote: Linda was correct in stating that pricing and availability are posted in real time. What she did not express (and I assure you that this will be brought to her Supervisor’s attention) is that no system is perfect and there is a slight delay in updating inventory to match our website.
I tried first time around 10am MST and last time it was ~ 4pm MST (and several times in between) - if they think it is a slight delay then they need to check definition of word "slight". Sorry NewEgg it was either a system glitch (and taking into account people report this problem from time to time - a bug which NewEgg either cannot or do not want to fix) or OP is right and it was an attempt of bait and switch.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)