[OP]
Apr 13, 2011
258 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver

HOT! Intel 6600K + ASRock Z170 Pro4S - $354.99 AR

Deal Link:
Price:
HOT Shellshocker deal if you don't care about having a basic bitch motherboard. Great for budget friendly builds who are a little greedy for speed as well.

Or you can just sell the motherboard if you absolutely cannot stand it :P
Images
15 replies
Penalty Box
Jan 7, 2011
1458 posts
160 upvotes
KW
That is excellent iMHO, I wouldn't call any Z170 MB basic either.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2194 posts
843 upvotes
I have had a 2500k since 2011 and I have not felt compelled to upgrade yet . . .I game at 1080p and I am probably going to buy an AMD Polaris RX 480 rather than a 1070 as I am thinking of doing a major system upgrade when the 2nd gen of VR comes out . . .

Do you agree that it isn't worth spending the money to upgrade my system with this in mind?

This looks like a good deal though!
Jan 26, 2008
754 posts
56 upvotes
Scarborough
You have a 2500k. Have you overclocked the CPU? If not, I would suggest doing so. That is a better option than upgrading for minimal gains.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10813 posts
5088 upvotes
Wish it didnt have rebate i hate dealing with them. Wish it was just a straight discount.
Jul 4, 2003
384 posts
42 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
The main reasons to go to skylake are platform upgrades. more USB 3(.1), m.2, USB C, pcie 3, better quicksync for video encoding and decoding, DDR4 and more ram support (not for performance, but i wouldn't want to buy more ddr3 if I needed RAM)

To me, this would make me want to upgrade to skylake over sandy bridge more than the 30% or so speedup, but it is roughly that much faster too.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1754 posts
1176 upvotes
feminazi wrote: I have had a 2500k since 2011 and I have not felt compelled to upgrade yet . . .I game at 1080p and I am probably going to buy an AMD Polaris RX 480 rather than a 1070 as I am thinking of doing a major system upgrade when the 2nd gen of VR comes out . . .

Do you agree that it isn't worth spending the money to upgrade my system with this in mind?

yes, u have great plan; stick to it
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2203 posts
1072 upvotes
Saint John
Spartus wrote: The main reasons to go to skylake are platform upgrades. more USB 3(.1), m.2, USB C, pcie 3, better quicksync for video encoding and decoding, DDR4 and more ram support (not for performance, but i wouldn't want to buy more ddr3 if I needed RAM)

To me, this would make me want to upgrade to skylake over sandy bridge more than the 30% or so speedup, but it is roughly that much faster too.
I'm working on an upgrade from Z77 (Ivy Bridge) to Skylake mainly for those platform benefits. Support for PCI-E and m.2 SSDs is another perk... I've got a 950 Pro ready to go in the new rig.

Also building a new PC is super fun. I'm going from a full ATX Define XL tower to mITX this time.

OP's deal seems pretty solid - you're essentially getting the motherboard for $60 or so. This is quite comparable to the i5 combo deals we used to see back in the day when the CAD was close to par. IMO, fancy motherboards are overrated. Reliability is pretty much the same whether you buy a $100 board or a $300 board, and the low power requirements of modern Intel chips mean that overclocking is much more dependent on silicon lottery than motherboard power delivery.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2539 posts
403 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
feminazi wrote: I have had a 2500k since 2011 and I have not felt compelled to upgrade yet . . .I game at 1080p and I am probably going to buy an AMD Polaris RX 480 rather than a 1070 as I am thinking of doing a major system upgrade when the 2nd gen of VR comes out . . .

I'm in the exact boat. Been upgrading parts here and there. But still a core i5-2500k at heart and it's been solid. I see no reason to upgrade anytime soon. Which has been hard not to scratch that itch to build something new.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2011
258 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm also on the 2700k. The only thing that's tempting me to upgrade is an aesthetic change (all white build)
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2766 posts
280 upvotes
unless you are getting multiple video cards, I never really saw the point in fancy motherboards. I mean, I have always bought the more expensive ones, but I hardly notice the difference between a cheap one and good one... maybe I wouldn't recommend the worst mobo out there but wtf is the point in spending 400 on a motherboard? I dont really think there is one...
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
divx wrote: you mean a downgrade? going from i7 to a i5
for gaming the i5 would actually be better, the only time the i7 would be better are in tasks that can take advantage of the hyperthreading.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
vorthex wrote: unless you are getting multiple video cards, I never really saw the point in fancy motherboards. I mean, I have always bought the more expensive ones, but I hardly notice the difference between a cheap one and good one... maybe I wouldn't recommend the worst mobo out there but wtf is the point in spending 400 on a motherboard? I dont really think there is one...
for overclocking mostly, but its probably not worth it.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2194 posts
843 upvotes
Is there anything really significant coming up in the CPU pipelines in the next year or two? Is AMD's Zen going to be comparable to Intel offerings or better?