Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg.ca] Huawei Honor 8 $464.99 Unlocked Smartphone 64GB Sunrise Gold - US Warranty

[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 1, 2011
75 posts
56 upvotes

Huawei Honor 8 $464.99 Unlocked Smartphone 64GB Sunrise Gold - US Warranty

Deal Link:
Price:
464.99
Savings:
21
Expiry:
February 20, 2017
Retailer:
Newegg.ca
My price alert went off this morning, and I found this in my inbox, 21% off their usually high price, which may be hot for some but only warm for me:

Huwei-Honor-8-Newegg.JPG

I've been looking at a new phone to replace my getting-funky OnePlus One for a few months now. I'm considering the LeEco LETV LE MAX 2 6GB RAM 128GB ROM as well as the Xiaomi Mi5 Pro Prime Smartphone 32gb, though neither they nor the Huawei Honor 8 have Gorilla Glass( I always put on a tempered glass screen protector anyway ). I'd love to find a 'flagship killer' phone for around $350 CDN like my OPO was back in 2014, but that's just dreaming at this point with the USD exchange.

However, some folks might find this to be a good price point. For myself, it's still on the wrong side of $400, though the Gold version is usually the highest-priced and doesn't drop on sale often.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5300 posts
3337 upvotes
Toronto
Considering the phone takes a MicroSD and the 2nd SIM slot doesn't work, what's the point of spending $65 for the 64GB model over the 32GB?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2156 posts
1363 upvotes
Cambridge
Jep4444 wrote: Considering the phone takes a MicroSD and the 2nd SIM slot doesn't work, what's the point of spending $65 for the 64GB model over the 32GB?
Mainly for the colour as the gold version isn't available in the 32GB version.
Jr. Member
Feb 19, 2009
152 posts
43 upvotes
vancouver
Cool, probably order 2x 32gbs later today, thanks :)
Sr. Member
May 15, 2007
528 posts
317 upvotes
I would say Sapphire Blue/Midnight Black is more acceptable to me.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1378 posts
344 upvotes
My coworker said she got it for $460.68 this month.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
1554 posts
549 upvotes
Montreal
mohamade wrote: I would say Sapphire Blue/Midnight Black is more acceptable to me.
those colors are on sale too + the 32gb are 400$ (20 more than previous sale)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7625 posts
5135 upvotes
Canada
kajo204 wrote: My coworker said she got it for $460.68 this month.
Yes, the 32gb was $380 and 64gb was $440
Jr. Member
Aug 25, 2011
147 posts
94 upvotes
Montreal
Jep4444 wrote: Considering the phone takes a MicroSD and the 2nd SIM slot doesn't work, what's the point of spending $65 for the 64GB model over the 32GB?
Most android base phones wont let you use the expandable memory in adoptive mode (added memory to the internal memory - won't let you install apps on SD card) so the on board memory size is important. The micro SD expandable memory is mainly used for media stuff...
Jr. Member
Feb 19, 2009
152 posts
43 upvotes
vancouver
I think GCR also has 1.75% on these purchases.
Also I believe there's an extra 10,000mah adata power bank this time around (unless I remember incorrectly about the previous deal).
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10368 posts
6848 upvotes
No band 66, only QC2.0, not IP-rated
Sr. Member
Oct 13, 2007
529 posts
124 upvotes
Sorry, what does this mean?
chatbox wrote: No band 66, only QC2.0, not IP-rated
Got it: Band 66-not issue for me, qc=quick charge (still quick enough for me), ip-rated=waterproof or res (that would be nice, but at this price im ok)

Picked up the phone in gold for the wifey just last time. Have to say I am really impressed. No issues. I am thinking I am going to have to pull the trigger for myself and put the iphone 5 to bed. Personally, 32g and sim seems to be enough. I don't have that many apps to take up 30 gigs.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5300 posts
3337 upvotes
Toronto
manguyen1 wrote: Most android base phones wont let you use the expandable memory in adoptive mode (added memory to the internal memory - won't let you install apps on SD card) so the on board memory size is important. The micro SD expandable memory is mainly used for media stuff...
Yes but how many people need more than 32GB just for apps and the OS?
Jr. Member
Aug 25, 2011
147 posts
94 upvotes
Montreal
Jep4444 wrote: Yes but how many people need more than 32GB just for apps and the OS?
I for one need that extra space but I'm on a S7 Edge; Samsung's Knox folder forces you to keep your files on the phone's memory for security. The Edge sold by Rogers only came in 32gb. My home is mostly controlled by home automation stuff and those apps add up fast. ... I had a Note 7 with 64gb before and it was great.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5300 posts
3337 upvotes
Toronto
manguyen1 wrote: I for one need that extra space but I'm on a S7 Edge; Samsung's Knox folder forces you to keep your files on the phone's memory for security. The Edge sold by Rogers only came in 32gb. My home is mostly controlled by home automation stuff and those apps add up fast. ... I had a Note 7 with 64gb before and it was great.
Ok but part of that seems to be a Samsung limitation. It doesn't help that Samsung gives you less than 20GB of space out of the box though, my phone had like 22GB and I can put my files wherever I want.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 21, 2015
9914 posts
67170 upvotes
Ontario
Jep4444 wrote: Considering the phone takes a MicroSD and the 2nd SIM slot doesn't work, what's the point of spending $65 for the 64GB model over the 32GB?
App datas won't let you transfer to the sd card.

For example, your whatsapp or wechat chat logs can only be stored in the phone. If you moved to the SD card, you will lose the chat logs.

Micro Sd card is mainly for media files etc.
Costco is closed today (April 4th 2021) even in Quebec

Top