Aug 19, 2002
420 posts
155 upvotes

MSI ARMOR 4G OC RX 480 4GB $229.99 AR $5.99 Shipping

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Newegg.ca
Newegg has a not-too-shabby deal on the MSI Armor 4G OC RX 480 with 4GB RAM for $239.99 with a $10 MIR.

...$258.28 after GST and shipping -- or $248.28 after MIR.

Can also get 1.0% back from ebates for ~ $3.04 if you don't use PayPal.

Some pros, aside from the obvious specs:

• Capable and quiet dual fan cooler
  • MSI RMA center in Ontario
  • Can probably be undervolted a bit to reduce temps+noise if not overclocking

Some cons:

• Not the fastest memory (1750MHz factory)
  • No backplate
  • Fairly long card, might not fit in smaller cases

I've been watching for a decent upgrade for our HTPC to handle 1080p gaming for the odd Steam game that doesn't stream so well from the main PC. (Right now it has a passively cooled HD5450, which on its own is only good for media and simple indie titles like Monaco and Push Me Pull You!)

The recent PowerColor deal was tempting but I didn't think that card's cooler would be as quiet as I'd like. For $10 more overall before rebates, this MSI Armor 4G OC seemed like a decent alternative.
Last edited by Writer on Feb 17th, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2813 posts
3581 upvotes
Calgary
Not sure about the PowerColor card, but this MSI card has a 0 dB mode where it won't turn on the fan at idle or low loads. And even when the fan does spin up at higher loads, I don't hear it either. It's a fairly barebones card and comes with no accessories but I've been happy with it. And now it's a tad cheaper that what I paid ($235 after MIR) but I did get free shipping at the time.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6457 posts
1362 upvotes
This deal looks better than the power color deal. Can anybody confirm?
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Nov 25, 2015
41 posts
42 upvotes
For the money these Rx 480 cards are a great deal. You can hum and haw all you want it, but if this is in your price range just pull the trigger, I can't see these going too much cheaper at least until vega (if vega) get released lol. I'm personally waiting on vega because I have a 1440 display and money to burn.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2002
420 posts
155 upvotes
1xTiMeR wrote: This deal looks better than the power color deal. Can anybody confirm?
It was for me, largely because I trust the MSI brand and cooler a bit more.

The MSI core is clocked higher than the PowerColor core, and it arguably has a better VRM design.

However, the PowerColor is cheaper, has Samsung RAM that is more likely to overclock better, and comes with a backplate, which will help protect the card from (rare) issues that might be caused from sagging under its own weight.

I'm not too worried about overclocking headroom, and I can rig something up to physically support the card, so the lack of a backplate isn't a huge deal to me either.

Between these two cards, I'd say if you're not concerned about noise at all, the PowerColor might be a slightly better deal, because of the price+ram+backplate; whereas if you want your PC to be quieter, the MSI would probably be a better choice.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
1878 posts
917 upvotes
mb
Not sure why this deal didn't get more love. Another option for people that don't like the powercolor's single fan.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14864 posts
4370 upvotes
Sagging under its own weight? Yikes!

3-year warranty, comes with DOOM. The PowerColor has a 2-year warranty.

Kind of wish I waited since I paid $250+$12 shipping for mine a couple months ago, but I was kind of desperate for a new card after my old one died.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Sep 3, 2009
734 posts
409 upvotes
Calgary
ZipSpeed wrote: Not sure about the PowerColor card, but this MSI card has a 0 dB mode where it won't turn on the fan at idle or low loads. And even when the fan does spin up at higher loads, I don't hear it either. It's a fairly barebones card and comes with no accessories but I've been happy with it. And now it's a tad cheaper that what I paid ($235 after MIR) but I did get free shipping at the time.
The Powercolor's fan also idles under very low load, I thought my card was defective when I turn on my computer the first time with the card, because the fan did spin. I actually uses Afterburner to make the fan always spin, at low RPM when under low load, probably not necessary but I want my card to be a little cooler. The signal fan is definitely loud when on 100% speed, but it shouldn't reach that high during normal usage anyway. Both cards are decent deal.