$49.99
Savings:
38% off
Expiry:
January 9, 2020
Retailer:
newegg.ca
$30 off and free shipping.

Rosewill Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner, 1500W Electric Induction Cooker with 15 Temperature Settings, 15 Power Levels, 8 Preset Modes, LED Control Panel, Ultra Slim Design

Nothing close to this price on amazon - good for frying fish outside/garage without smelling up the house.
no sig
16 replies
Aug 16, 2019
6 posts
I've been looking for an induction cooktop. Has anyone used this model before?
I can only find more reviews on the 1800W version.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10512 posts
5140 upvotes
Toronto
Do you save electricity $ with this thing, compared to using a stove?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5016 posts
4236 upvotes
Vancouver
ManCaveGamer wrote: Do you save electricity $ with this thing, compared to using a stove?
Technically yes, practically no.

You save about $10 year vs. conventional electric under ideal conditions.
Aug 6, 2012
329 posts
175 upvotes
TORONTO
ManCaveGamer wrote: Do you save electricity $ with this thing, compared to using a stove?
There are many factors involved, but in general, yes you will save electricity $.

"On average, electrical cooktop uses 320 watt-hours of electricity to boil 2 liters of water compared to 225-watt-hours for induction cooktop."

That's 95 Wh savings or 0.095 kWh. If you pay $0.20 per kWh, that's a savings of around 2 cents.

Induction cools quicker which is better in summer but not so good in winter. More fine grained control. Downside is that not all cookware will work with them so you have to be a bit careful.

If your choice is an old school electric cooktop or an induction one then go induction. If you have gas then it's harder to compare.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2009
1002 posts
748 upvotes
Calgary
In terms of electrical power savings, I find that the cost of electricity itself is the smallest charge compared to the distribution/transmission etc charges, that are several times the cost of the power itself. Same goes for natural gas - especially in Alberta, now that we have the dreaded carbon tax, which almost doubles the cost of nat gas.
no sig
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2007
1185 posts
457 upvotes
Calgary
I use one of these when I do Hot Pot. you can see the pattern of the heat area when you boil water.
I think the most annoying part about these is the uneven heat. Clean up is super easy!
I would use this for hot pot, fried stuff outside. I would not use this as my main cook top.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1651 posts
1623 upvotes
Is this good for hot pot vs the gas portablr stoves? Is induction better?
Wallet safe...
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1153 posts
1630 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
No real monetary savings, IMO only time & possible space. You don't double heat with induction like you do with most burners, and that saves a bit of time. Saving time saves energy and money, but to me isn't the primary focus of induction.
Mar 11, 2019
546 posts
529 upvotes
I have an 1800W in my rv. I make popcorn in a whirlypop stainless maker. My home electric stove is fastest. Induction a close second and gas stove 3rd. The induction does a good job frying as it heats very even and boils water decently fast as well.
Nov 18, 2008
778 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
D0ntgiveajack wrote: Is this good for hot pot vs the gas portablr stoves? Is induction better?
I have the 1800W from Costco, it works really well for hotpot. I stopped buying butane cans years ago. I use it with a 25inch-ish size pot for hotpot and you really need all 1800w, it’s amazing fast.

We also have an extra large pot and the 1800w have issues catching up if you constantly put food into your hotpot.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2298 posts
1167 upvotes
I suspect the difference between 1800W and 1500W is just marketing. You'll probably find the same coil in both units. 1800W is 100% of a 15A breaker.

With that being said, I've used one of these for the last 3 years for hot pot instead of my old portable butane burner and here are my thoughts:
  • No longer have to buy canisters of gas. Not that it was prohibitively expensive but it was just one extra hassle. Also no longer have to crack the window to vent the off gasses.
  • The induction stove has a pretty loud fan in it that stays on pretty much the entire time. Certainly louder than the relatively silent butane stove.
  • I wouldn't get rid of my butane stove for this. I would 100% use induction for hot pot and the butane for emergencies in case the power goes out and/or zombie apocalypse.
  • As mentioned, induction only works with ferromagnetic cookware.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10502 posts
3036 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Salton at Costco ia 1500W also, similar unit without the presets, same $50 regular price IIRC.

Ikea one is really 1800W, cord is 14AWG vs 16AWG.
Not as thin and controls are more clunky to use.
$50-60 when on sale, worth having an extra 300W, the coil is also slightly larger.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2179 posts
2875 upvotes
ben35 wrote: In terms of electrical power savings, I find that the cost of electricity itself is the smallest charge compared to the distribution/transmission etc charges, that are several times the cost of the power itself. Same goes for natural gas - especially in Alberta, now that we have the dreaded carbon tax, which almost doubles the cost of nat gas.

+1

Electricity is so minimal, its all about the transportation charges, and all that other crap on the bill that makes things expensive.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4965 posts
3080 upvotes
I grabbed a variant of this from Rosewill a couple years ago for like $29 on shellshocker deal and I -personally- love it. It's just sooo much faster at heating up and saves a lot of time overall. Under the right conditions you can make a scrambled egg in like 60 seconds w/ cast iron.

Main issues for me...
- Easier to burn stuff towards the bottom of the pan because you're not used to it being red hot so soon or set to a temperature that's just too high (chances are you use too high of a temperature on your regular stove it just takes so long to heat up you don't notice).
- I find boiling large amounts of water just doesn't work properly and possibly not at all. Not sure on the inner workings of it, but ya don't bother doing those large family servings of pasta in there.
- More FYI, but induction doesn't work with most of your traditional pots and frying pans. Stick a magnet to your stuff and if it sticks then it'll work, otherwise out of luck.

I pretty much use it all the time over the traditional burner, only exception is the larger water.

Recommend Costco or Amazon especially if you're basically just going to test it. Newegg can be a hassle to return things to.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2006
1698 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
?
[rfdlink=http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=48622]HeatWare[/rfdlink]
Samsung 2253BW widescreen 2ms response time
Intel core 2 duo E8400
Patriot viper series 4GB DDR2 pc6200 DDR800 dual channel ram
XFX nvidia 8800GT 255mb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
WD Caviar Black 1TB sata2 7200RPM HDD w/ 32mb cache
Logitech z560 4.1

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)