Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] RX 480 - $309.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2016 11:39 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 29, 2014
195 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

[Newegg] RX 480 - $309.99

Newegg.ca has the RX 480 for $309.99 after conversion the difference from USD to Can is less than $10. Cheaper than all other Canadian retailers.
68 replies
Newbie
May 22, 2008
41 posts
2 upvotes
Montréal, QC
If people are looking to Overclock, I advise you guys to stay away from the reference model and wait for AIBs.

the reference pcb's blower cooler is GREAT at 1266Mhz, but 1300+ it has the card at 78-85c. where the card then throttles down so you dont overheat it.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
573 upvotes
the 4gb version is $259.99

id suggest that, personally i will be happy to save $50 and stick with 4gb ram. card wont perform well enough at 1440 / 4k to justify the price increase for the ram. 4gb is fine for 1080p gaming.

upgrade in a year or two and you wont get below $150-200 for the card used.. $100 rental.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 29, 2014
195 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
cfanalyst wrote: the 4gb version is $259.99

id suggest that, personally i will be happy to save $50 and stick with 4gb ram. card wont perform well enough at 1440 / 4k to justify the price increase for the ram. 4gb is fine for 1080p gaming.

upgrade in a year or two and you wont get below $150-200 for the card used.. $100 rental.
Some games already use more than 4gb of vram at 1080p. If you are planning to get the card for two years you'd probably be best spending an extra couple of dollars for the extra vram.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1254 posts
638 upvotes
bnfenix wrote: Some games already use more than 4gb of vram at 1080p. If you are planning to get the card for two years you'd probably be best spending an extra couple of dollars for the extra vram.
Why? The card can barely do 1440p as it is you're limited by other factors.

Also fu** Canada Computers and NCIX for price gouging. Vote with your wallet :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 16, 2011
2576 posts
2040 upvotes
Clarington
cfanalyst wrote: the 4gb version is $259.99

id suggest that, personally i will be happy to save $50 and stick with 4gb ram. card wont perform well enough at 1440 / 4k to justify the price increase for the ram. 4gb is fine for 1080p gaming.

upgrade in a year or two and you wont get below $150-200 for the card used.. $100 rental.
Reviews said tomb raider used around 6gb of ram at 1080p.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 29, 2014
195 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
andersb wrote: Why? The card can barely do 1440p as it is you're limited by other factors.

Also fu** Canada Computers and NCIX for price gouging. Vote with your wallet :)
Because 1080p and 1440p are both different resolutions?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1254 posts
638 upvotes
jkam wrote: Does this hot?
Sure if you ignore the power consumption (worse than a 2yrs old 970 and worse than the 1070). Its loud and runs very hot as well so wait for the aftermarket coolers if you can.
Member
May 29, 2016
498 posts
284 upvotes
Nice find, thanks! And good point, andersb. I've always thought NCIX is a bit sketchy to begin with because of them having multiple sites, never honoring pricing errors, showing out-of-stock for in-demand gpus but having them in bundles/prebuilts etc. At least Newegg has the decency of pricing things at parity with the actual MSRP. Ordered!
Jr. Member
Apr 24, 2015
151 posts
22 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Pretty good deal but I'll wait for the non-reference card.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
573 upvotes
Bawler wrote: Reviews said tomb raider used around 6gb of ram at 1080p.
meh, weird, dont play that game though.

i guess for some games it will matter here and there, still though. 50$ extra? thats 20% of the cost of the 4gb model lol. will you get 20% performance boost? highly doubtful.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
803 upvotes
cfanalyst wrote: meh, weird, dont play that game though.

i guess for some games it will matter here and there, still though. 50$ extra? thats 20% of the cost of the 4gb model lol. will you get 20% performance boost? highly doubtful.
Most of the "boost" is due to the fact they clocked the 8GB RAM higher vs. the increased VRAM. Some people are probably going to see if it's possible to flash the BIOS to bring it up to the same speed as the 8GB reference.

For real world the additional FPS would probably be negligible for most games (a few extra frames here and there, but not like Unplayable --> Playable).

Probably why AMD is starting with 8GB is due to better profit margins as well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 19, 2005
1064 posts
384 upvotes
I'd wait for the 4GB version as well, I'm still on SLI 2GB cards and see no reason to upgrade yet for 1080p.

That said, I usually play at medium/high settings, I'm not one of those dudes who needs wavy beard hairs enabled.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 16, 2011
2576 posts
2040 upvotes
Clarington
cfanalyst wrote: meh, weird, dont play that game though.

i guess for some games it will matter here and there, still though. 50$ extra? thats 20% of the cost of the 4gb model lol. will you get 20% performance boost? highly doubtful.
If you exceed the amount of ram you have performance plummets. It may only be a few games now but if you keep it for two years like you planned, it's likely a major amount will and your resale plan will take a hit.

It was the same with the Nvidia 700 series. I bought at 4gb 770 and sold it for $100 more than a 2gb 770 was going for just because no one wanted a 2gb card anymore.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
573 upvotes
tkyoshi wrote: Most of the "boost" is due to the fact they clocked the 8GB RAM higher vs. the increased VRAM. Some people are probably going to see if it's possible to flash the BIOS to bring it up to the same speed as the 8GB reference.

For real world the additional FPS would probably be negligible for most games (a few extra frames here and there, but not like Unplayable --> Playable).

Probably why AMD is starting with 8GB is due to better profit margins as well.
I have already read rumors about that bios flashing, might be possible it seems indeed.

either way, waiting for a few weeks to see the after market cooler boards and possibly the 1060 if its pushed to first week of july...
Member
Nov 4, 2014
208 posts
127 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
LarissaC wrote: Nice find, thanks! And good point, andersb. I've always thought NCIX is a bit sketchy to begin with because of them having multiple sites, never honoring pricing errors, showing out-of-stock for in-demand gpus but having them in bundles/prebuilts etc. At least Newegg has the decency of pricing things at parity with the actual MSRP. Ordered!
+1 million

After getting screwed over on a price match 2 years ago, I haven't shopped there since. Gladly support other businesses with my wallet.

Top