Expired Hot Deals

Newegg Canada

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan - $28.99 + tax after MIR

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2016 11:40 pm
18 replies
Banned
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
992 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
I've had four of these for years and they're the best bang for your buck. A second fan can be added to the other side and both run slower for quieter operation.
Nov 11, 2016
40 posts
3 upvotes
Are these silent? I'm using stock i3 cooler and it's loud as hell, looking for something a lot more quieter.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
442 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
asapchin wrote: Are these silent? I'm using stock i3 cooler and it's loud as hell, looking for something a lot more quieter.
I would say that it's a little quieter, and with a lower rpm does not make that high-pitched whine that stock cooler fans tend to make. If noise is your only concern, then they are not close to the quietest fan/heatsink solutions available to consumers. Otherwise they do a decent job of cooling stock and slightly overclocked processors. If you're willing to spend more for less noise and vibration, however, you're going to be in that territory where you may as well consider getting a sound-dampened case instead.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4483 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
Is it good for i7 6700K?
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Nov 11, 2016
40 posts
3 upvotes
loserga wrote: I would say that it's a little quieter, and with a lower rpm does not make that high-pitched whine that stock cooler fans tend to make. If noise is your only concern, then they are not close to the quietest fan/heatsink solutions available to consumers. Otherwise they do a decent job of cooling stock and slightly overclocked processors. If you're willing to spend more for less noise and vibration, however, you're going to be in that territory where you may as well consider getting a sound-dampened case instead.
Noise is definitely my main concern, is there a better option at this price range? You're right about the stock Intel cooler making high pitched noise.. and I just can't stand it anymore.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
442 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
asapchin wrote: Noise is definitely my main concern, is there a better option at this price range? You're right about the stock Intel cooler making high pitched noise.. and I just can't stand it anymore.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's no better option for the price unless you can source parts from the States. The selection here is dismal and barely affordable. I don't know the number of case fans that you have running in your case, but some motherboards offer fan speed tuning for the 4-pin headers, and differentiate between CPU and case fans. This is probably what you need to look at first.

If you're feeling adventurous then you may want to look here.
May 17, 2013
334 posts
281 upvotes
GWN
Pull the stock fan from it and buy a Noctua silent fan (or two for push pull). I use that setup in all my PCs. Great cooler.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2009
2028 posts
545 upvotes
MTL
asapchin wrote:
Noise is definitely my main concern, is there a better option at this price range? You're right about the stock Intel cooler making high pitched noise.. and I just can't stand it anymore.
Intel stock fan works fine at idle but starts getting annoyingly loud when you put it under load for a while. Try opening the case and pointing a desk fan at the CPU. If it's still making lots of noise, you probably need to get a bigger heatsink. If it makes far less noise under the same operation, you probably need to improve the case airflow with more case fans and/or moving cables around.

Some large tower heatsinks will require the installation of a backplate behind the CPU, which will require removing your motherboard to install unless your case has a cutout to facilitate this.
loserga wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's no better option for the price unless you can source parts from the States. The selection here is dismal and barely affordable. I don't know the number of case fans that you have running in your case, but some motherboards offer fan speed tuning for the 4-pin headers, and differentiate between CPU and case fans. This is probably what you need to look at first.

If you're feeling adventurous then you may want to look here.
Yeah, all the cheap deals on heatsinks disappeared long ago. Not as many manufacturers pushing them out anymore, so less supply, higher price.

Long ago, that EVO used to be 24$ without MIR...
Robotron2084 wrote: Pull the stock fan from it and buy a Noctua silent fan (or two for push pull). I use that setup in all my PCs. Great cooler.
+1. For greatest flexibility, buy the Noctua P model without PWM.

No PWM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6835608004
PWM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... B984BD9468

They have lots of models:
- NF-Sxx for case fans.
- NF-Pxx for general use.
- NF-Fxx for heatsinks.
- xx = size, ex: 120mm is NF-P12
More info: http://noctua.at/en/which_fan_is_right_for_me

Suffixes:
- PWM models use the 4th fan pin to let the CPU control the speed using Pulse Width Modulation.
- FLX is a fixed speed model which lets you choose the speed (FLeXible) with adapters. (only on the S models).
- ULN is an Ultra Low Noise model which is half as loud but only pushes half the amount of air. (only on the S models).

Redux is the budget model. They only seem to sell the S version as Redux and it doesn't come with any of the fancy things like fan adapters and silicone grommets/case fasteners.

I have both the S12 and P12, both models are pretty quiet.

If it looks too expensive, another alternative is to buy 120mm SilenX fans, considerably cheaper but as basic as redux: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6835226042

For comparison: http://noctua.at/en/products/fan
SilenX fan is 1400rpm, 15dBa, 74CFM = 125m3/hr (fourth column).
Nov 26, 2011
165 posts
53 upvotes
CALGARY
Correct me if I am wrong. But I believe I was able to grab it for around $27 cad about a year ago. Is this the new best price for Canadian dollar?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
756 upvotes
Vancouver
rui wrote: Is it good for i7 6700K?
I'm using it with 6700K
it's not overclocked. it does the job.
You have to buy cooler anyway because 6700K doesn't come with one.
Can't go wrong with this price.
If you are serious about overclocking, obviously, you have to spend $100+
[OP]
Jun 8, 2010
249 posts
101 upvotes
Calgary
apf888 wrote: +1. For greatest flexibility, buy the Noctua P model without PWM.

No PWM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6835608004
PWM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... B984BD9468
Why 3 pin fan for cpu cooler? I bought Asus Z170-A board and it has 1 cpu, 1 opt_cpu and 4 chassis fan connectors. All are 4-pin. Wouldn't it be better to let the motherboard control the speed of all fans based on the temperature?
May 13, 2006
393 posts
62 upvotes
Markham
rui wrote: Is it good for i7 6700K?
I had the 212 Evo on my i7 6700k for a few months...I manage to OC to 4.5Ghz @ 70c max. IMO,Still very safe temps and relativity quiet.
But I've upgraded to Corsair H115i to get to 4.8Ghz.
My Rig:
i7 6700k @4.8Ghz,
Corsair Hydro H115I,
ASUS Z-170 Deluxe,
G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16gb,
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 OC ROG Strix,
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q,
Samsung 850EVO 500gb,
Phanteks Evolv ATX TG,
Corsair Strafe RGB,
Razer DeathAdder Chroma.

Heatware

SpeedTest
Nov 11, 2016
40 posts
3 upvotes
The noise is coming from the CPU cooler for sure, because when I stop the fan my pc becomes dead silent. I don't do any overclocking I just need a quieter cooler. My pc has great temps my cable management is flawless. Might pull the trigger on this deal.

Question, for the MIR, I can just do it through their online form instead of mailing it in right? That way I can save time because it states that "postmarked no later than 12/31/2016", if I order now it won't ship here in time. I've never had any experiences with MIR before.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2010
249 posts
101 upvotes
Calgary
importpsycho wrote: If you are serious about overclocking, obviously, you have to spend $100+
It will be ok for moderate oc'ing if you have dual fans. I am running i5 2500k @ 4.0Ghz with Hyper 212 + and dual fans for over 5years now with no issues.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
2189 posts
1478 upvotes
asapchin wrote: The noise is coming from the CPU cooler for sure, because when I stop the fan my pc becomes dead silent. I don't do any overclocking I just need a quieter cooler. My pc has great temps my cable management is flawless. Might pull the trigger on this deal.

Question, for the MIR, I can just do it through their online form instead of mailing it in right? That way I can save time because it states that "postmarked no later than 12/31/2016", if I order now it won't ship here in time. I've never had any experiences with MIR before.
Thata over a month from now, lots of time.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2010
249 posts
101 upvotes
Calgary
asapchin wrote: Question, for the MIR, I can just do it through their online form instead of mailing it in right? That way I can save time because it states that "postmarked no later than 12/31/2016", if I order now it won't ship here in time. I've never had any experiences with MIR before.
You have to fill out the online form, print it and send it with a copy of your receipt and original barcode cut out from the box.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2009
2028 posts
545 upvotes
MTL
nevermind999 wrote: Why 3 pin fan for cpu cooler? I bought Asus Z170-A board and it has 1 cpu, 1 opt_cpu and 4 chassis fan connectors. All are 4-pin. Wouldn't it be better to let the motherboard control the speed of all fans based on the temperature?
Two reasons:
1. Crappy speed control implementations. You may find that some motherboards when using PWM will set the CPU fan speed to low or completely turn it off, then wait until the thing reaches a certain temperature or burning hot before it turns the fan back on. Or it will use an algorithm to tightly control the temperature but follow it so tightly that you can hear the CPU fan ramp up and down with the CPU usage (ex: like laptops, just with bigger, more noisy fans), which is part of the problem with the stock fan being seemingly more noisy than if it were left at max (it's because the speed is oscillating up and down, which is perceived as more noise than it actually is... it's annoying and distracting). It leads to a vicious cycle which can be avoided by just getting quiet fans and let them run at their rated speed most of the time.
2. The Noctua non-PWM kit comes with two resistor adapters to reduce the speed (and noise) from the fans. The PWM kit doesn't come with these (since it's supposed to be controlled through the fourth wire).

Having PWM fans is good, just that the implementation of the control is usually really lousy and you don't always have full control over it. You could use something like SpeedFan to control the speed from inside Windows, though it might make lots of noise when the system takes back control when you close the app. To keep things simple, it's easier to get fixed speed fans which are capable of moving more than sufficient amounts of air to keep the CPU cool, then use adapters and/or variable fan controllers to adjust it based on your environment/pattern of use.
asapchin wrote: The noise is coming from the CPU cooler for sure, because when I stop the fan my pc becomes dead silent. I don't do any overclocking I just need a quieter cooler. My pc has great temps my cable management is flawless. Might pull the trigger on this deal.
Can't go wrong with the 212 EVO. It has a solid performance record.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)