Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Obihai OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter $38.99 + Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2014 10:36 pm
19 replies
Dec 12, 2011
554 posts
480 upvotes
NEPEAN
The Obi100 does not have Wifi so you will have to connect it to your router and your phone will have to be in the same room as the router. If you add $10 you can get this one which is much better; this one has Wifi and you can connect it to your phone anywhere you want:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833617008

Definitely worth the $10 more because it gives you a lot of choices of where to put your phone. I have the Obi200. The setup takes a bit of time but it works. It is downstairs and my router is upstairs and it is strong enough to connect. If you have more money to spend you can buy the Obi202 which gives you the possibility to connect Bluetooth AND Wifi at the same time (that way you can receive your cell phone calls on the regular phone at home).
Nov 18, 2006
384 posts
27 upvotes
However if all you're doing is cutting the cord to Ma Bell, gotta say - with my Obi100, I've never been happier than reclaiming my $38/mo. that I used to pay for a piece of copper going to my doorstep. Ties into my DECT phones easy as pie. Plus with FreePhoneLine.ca I now get things out in the countryside like caller ID, call waiting etc... that Bell never provided w/out massive extra charges.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5992 upvotes
I picked up a Magic Jack Go (stand alone ATA) for $35 USD which included 1 yr North America Wide calling. (Price is now $49 USD)
The older versions of the Magic Jack required a PC - the new version offers both options (PC via USB or standalone with included AC adaptor)
http://www.magicjack.com/index.html
5 yrs additional service is $120 USD ($2 a month).
It's plugged into my router and the base station of a 4 handset Dect system (Purchased from the Source for $21 on their clearance sale).
Voice quality has been great so far.

Though I realize freephoneline.ca is free - there is the $50 fee to get the Voip account settings for your ATA + US LD calling is extra.

NB: Added bonus they have a free soft client you can download from iTunes or Google Playstore that allows you to make calls from your cell or tablet using your Magic Jack account from anywhere in the world (no extra charge for using the soft client).
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
Thanks OP, but please put "US only" in the title.
Newegg.com does not ship to Canada, you need an US address and an US issued credit card...
Same item on newegg.ca is CA$49.99 with free shipping, not a bad sale price, but definitely not hot.
Mar 25, 2010
969 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
ahoroba wrote: Thanks OP, but please put "US only" in the title.
Newegg.com does not ship to Canada, you need an US address and an US issued credit card...
Same item on newegg.ca is CA$49.99 with free shipping, not a bad sale price, but definitely not hot.
Am I too late? I just checked shows CA$ 54.99 + $7.99 shipping.
Jul 12, 2005
548 posts
314 upvotes
Have been using freephoneline (paid $50 onetime only for the script and used an older voip router) since 2008 and have saved much more than any other VoIP service that I came across...except to minor hicupps once in a while (due to internet -that could happen if you used any voip service) have had no issues with their service....
codier wrote: .Though I realize freephoneline.ca is free - there is the $50 fee to get the Voip account settings for your ATA + US LD calling is extra.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
bach2266 wrote: If you add $10 you can get this one which is much better; this one has Wifi
Just to be clear, the OBi200 does not have built-in WiFi. It has a USB port which allows you to add a OBiWiFi adapter which is sold separately.

If possible, you should connect your VoIP ATA to your network with a cable. VoIP is extremely sensitive to low quality bandwidth, and while WiFi can be made to work, the quality of the bandwidth must be near-pristine.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3302 posts
1042 upvotes
Alberta
pm_john wrote: Don't think Amazon.com will ship to Canada :(
They don't ship most items, but they do ship the Obihai. $6.99.

Newegg.ca is $49.99 and free shipping, so its actually cheaper than Amazon.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1772 posts
484 upvotes
Montreal
pm_john wrote: Don't think Amazon.com will ship to Canada :(
yes it does, i bought mine from amazon.com

at the checkout, they will calculate the final amount
Dec 12, 2011
554 posts
480 upvotes
NEPEAN
PianoGuy wrote: Just to be clear, the OBi200 does not have built-in WiFi. It has a USB port which allows you to add a OBiWiFi adapter which is sold separately.

If possible, you should connect your VoIP ATA to your network with a cable. VoIP is extremely sensitive to low quality bandwidth, and while WiFi can be made to work, the quality of the bandwidth must be near-pristine.
Yes you are right it is another $10 for the USB stick. But still worth it if you want mobility and don't want the phone close to the router. And if you don't want to use the USB port for the wifi, you can use it for Bluetooth to receive cell calls on your regular phone at home. Obi100 doesn't give you those choices.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
4473 posts
3843 upvotes
Ontario
bach2266 wrote: Yes you are right it is another $10 for the USB stick. But still worth it if you want mobility and don't want the phone close to the router. And if you don't want to use the USB port for the wifi, you can use it for Bluetooth to receive cell calls on your regular phone at home.
I somewhat agree. However the phone doesn't have to be close to the router, just the unit. Then via traditional phone lines you can make all the home phone line system active. So basement, thrird floor, etc.works.

However, can someone post a link for the $10 WiFi stick? Or if EBay has something cheaper. As I didn't even know that was possible.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bach2266 wrote: The Obi100 does not have Wifi so you will have to connect it to your router and your phone will have to be in the same room as the router. If you add $10 you can get this one which is much better; this one has Wifi and you can connect it to your phone anywhere you want:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833617008

Definitely worth the $10 more because it gives you a lot of choices of where to put your phone. I have the Obi200. The setup takes a bit of time but it works. It is downstairs and my router is upstairs and it is strong enough to connect. If you have more money to spend you can buy the Obi202 which gives you the possibility to connect Bluetooth AND Wifi at the same time (that way you can receive your cell phone calls on the regular phone at home).
It's not $10 difference because you need to buy the $20 wifi adapter for it too! Not to mention, this is adding unnecessary jitter to your VOIP line.

The better setup is to backfill your Obi line to your house wiring. Then you can connect your phone to any jack in the house.
Aug 26, 2010
925 posts
288 upvotes
Brampton
the blue tooth adapter is useless, you can just run obi apps on any phone off wifi.. having the obi device in a wired setup is far more reliable and the $20 wifi adapter is a rip off.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
^ Yeah, I was wondering about that 14kg shipping weight, since an Obi weighs about an ounce. :confused:
Aug 5, 2011
145 posts
159 upvotes
HAMILTON
Can someone please help me set up this unit? I'm usually pretty good with tech but this device set up and google voice has me pulling my hair out. Can someone please guide me through setting it up? I'd be so grateful.

Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)