Expired Hot Deals

Newegg

Crucial MX500 500GB for $69.99

  • Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 8:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1142 posts
193 upvotes

[Newegg] Crucial MX500 500GB for $69.99

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5 inch SSD on sale for $69.99

At Newegg

https://www.newegg.ca/crucial-mx500-500 ... AEQAvD_BwE

According to CCC, lowest price ever.

Free shipping as well.
Thread Summary
See how the Crucial MX500 stacks up to others in RFD Reviews' top picks for the best SSDs for your devices!
17 replies
Member
Dec 5, 2004
474 posts
562 upvotes
Normally I've been pretty comfortable with Crucial (SSD, M2, memory) but I've been seeing more and more reviews that note they have no Canadian-based support network (so was the case with Samsung).

Just wondering if anybody has dealt with another manufacturer with a Canadian presence, or similar experiences.
Sr. Member
Aug 19, 2013
926 posts
884 upvotes
TORONTO
Good price although there's some issues like write amplification surrounding this model of SSD
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
saudor wrote: Good price although there's some issues like write amplification surrounding this model of SSD
All SSDs suffer from write amplification, that's one of the main reasons warranties are way lower than what the NAND is rated for.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3252 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON
There are so many reports of Newegg's bad behavior. I don't know if it's OK to order from them anymore.
Sr. Member
Aug 19, 2013
926 posts
884 upvotes
TORONTO
Jep4444 wrote: All SSDs suffer from write amplification, that's one of the main reasons warranties are way lower than what the NAND is rated for.
yeah but this one was higher than usual and that was the issue. Not sure if it's been fixed though
That being said, it's probably not something the average joe should be concerned with since NAND writes are high enough and most people would likely toss the drive for a better one
Jr. Member
Aug 26, 2017
190 posts
138 upvotes
ttiger wrote: Normally I've been pretty comfortable with Crucial (SSD, M2, memory) but I've been seeing more and more reviews that note they have no Canadian-based support network (so was the case with Samsung).

Just wondering if anybody has dealt with another manufacturer with a Canadian presence, or similar experiences.
Crucial, Western Digital, Corsair, Mushkin, Samsung all suck with their RMAs. You pay to ship it to California (or another US state) and then possibly pay for duties to get a refurbished product. Seagate has a Canadian depot to return to but they ship their HDDs from California so you end up paying duties typically, most likely the same deal with their SSDs.
Member
User avatar
Mar 20, 2006
472 posts
89 upvotes
saudor wrote: yeah but this one was higher than usual and that was the issue. Not sure if it's been fixed though
It hasn't. Reddit has long threads on it, and Crucial hasn't even acknowledged it let alone updated the FW.
Member
Nov 12, 2019
231 posts
798 upvotes
skyra322 wrote: Crucial, Western Digital, Corsair, Mushkin, Samsung all suck with their RMAs. You pay to ship it to California (or another US state) and then possibly pay for duties to get a refurbished product. Seagate has a Canadian depot to return to but they ship their HDDs from California so you end up paying duties typically, most likely the same deal with their SSDs.
I paid to ship to Seagate in Mississauga but didn't pay anything for shipping back to me for 4 or 5x RMA's I did last year on Exos drives.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
6906 posts
11515 upvotes
Montreal
rseiler wrote: It hasn't. Reddit has long threads on it, and Crucial hasn't even acknowledged it let alone updated the FW.
Nothing new on that subject?
Should Crucial SSD be avoided?
All sizes?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
rseiler wrote: It hasn't. Reddit has long threads on it, and Crucial hasn't even acknowledged it let alone updated the FW.
I found a thread with u/NewMaxx talking about it (one of the most reliable redditors when it comes to SSD info). He seems to acknowledge the issue but doesn't seem worried that it'll affect most users. The thing you need to remember is that these drives can typically survive Petabytes of actual writes before they fail and most users read more from their drives than they write. If you've got a write intensive workload, maybe steer clear but most users are probably fine and we don't have reports of mass MX500 failures in the wild.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
6906 posts
11515 upvotes
Montreal
Comforting post Jepp4444.
I've liked the MX500 line for so long.
At this price it's a Hot deal.
But the thought of that bug would linger in the back of my mind.
I'm so disappointed Crucial hasn't even aknowledged the issue.
Newbie
Nov 12, 2013
85 posts
193 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
skyra322 wrote: Crucial, Western Digital, Corsair, Mushkin, Samsung all suck with their RMAs. You pay to ship it to California (or another US state) and then possibly pay for duties to get a refurbished product. Seagate has a Canadian depot to return to but they ship their HDDs from California so you end up paying duties typically, most likely the same deal with their SSDs.
I’ve been RMA-ing WD (and a handful of HGST) drives to a Mississauga depot for the last few years without much issue. Granted they’re WD golds, but haven’t any problems getting them replaced. Only cost to me was shipping out.
Last edited by keinooj on May 11th, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Apr 14, 2015
152 posts
42 upvotes
Regina, SK
alpovs wrote: There are so many reports of Newegg's bad behavior. I don't know if it's OK to order from them anymore.
They are guilty of scalping GPUs and AMD CPUs but honestly almost all retailers do that anyway. I bought couple things (Including GPU and CPU) from them in the past few months and I have no problem with their services. But you have every right to boycott them for their behavior.
Sr. Member
May 19, 2005
852 posts
341 upvotes
Kingston
ttiger wrote: Normally I've been pretty comfortable with Crucial (SSD, M2, memory) but I've been seeing more and more reviews that note they have no Canadian-based support network (so was the case with Samsung).

Just wondering if anybody has dealt with another manufacturer with a Canadian presence, or similar experiences.
I've RMA'd two drives with Crucial, they are one of the best I've dealt with, no muss, no fuss, and better drives returned than sent in. I don't remember where they went, likely USA, but so what ? About half of the computer parts manufacturers have RMA to the US, its generally about $10. more for shipping of larger items to US than within ON, but minimally more for small items like an SSD. Adata is good for RMA too.
Sr. Member
May 19, 2005
852 posts
341 upvotes
Kingston
skyra322 wrote: so you end up paying duties typically
You are incorrect. No one is charged "duty", nor tax of any kind on an item returned from repair, or any replacement for a defective item. If you have experienced being charged anything like that, you need to dispute it with the shipper, because you were charged in error. I have shipped dozens of items for RMA to the US, received dozens of items back, both new replacements, new better item replacements, and repaired items. I've been charged one single time, and disputed it with the shipper and was fully refunded, as was appropriate. The only reason I was charged that one time was because the interim shipping company the original manufacturer used to send me my replacement, screwed up the invoice.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
31252 posts
1949 upvotes
Fernando Poo
gn22 wrote: You are incorrect. No one is charged "duty", nor tax of any kind on an item returned from repair, or any replacement for a defective item. If you have experienced being charged anything like that, you need to dispute it with the shipper, because you were charged in error. I have shipped dozens of items for RMA to the US, received dozens of items back, both new replacements, new better item replacements, and repaired items. I've been charged one single time, and disputed it with the shipper and was fully refunded, as was appropriate. The only reason I was charged that one time was because the interim shipping company the original manufacturer used to send me my replacement, screwed up the invoice.
The Canada post carrier demanded duty, tax and brokerage before she'd give me my Crucial RMA ram a couple years back. I refused the delivery and got into a month long battle with Crucial who were awful, and rude, to deal with. I definitely got the impression they didn't like Canadian customers.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2531 posts
1254 upvotes
Let's clear this up for anyone who may fall into this mailing problem again. If you EVER RMA anything, make sure you communicate to the company that they have to list it as an RMA or product return without value for taxes. I deal with similar all the time and, in fact, just received a laptop with the statement 'value listed for customs purposes only'. Its the same with marketing items or anything that is going to incur a customs value. Make sure there is no value on it first and foremost with the reason. Next up, if a company is going to send you something, make sure they know that you are in a different country and to pay all duties and fees at source with the courier. I get around 8-10 items a week from around the world and every now and then a slip is made. IF they haven't taken care of the duties, refuse the item and get a hold of the company, giving them the tracking number and phone number for the company, be it Canada Post, UPS or what have you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)
  1. WD Black AN1500 2TB AIC NVME SSD 6.5GB/s r/wr
  2. Intel i9-10900K and ASRock Z490 Taichi Motherboard

Top