• May 14th, 2021 4:09 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2011
139 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto

[Newegg] Crucial P2 2TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD for $239

Edit:

Original sale was on Amazon but now it looks like Newegg is cheaper.

(1) Amazon link - Crucial P2 2TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD for $262.25.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-NAND-NVMe ... pc&sr=1-11

According to triple C, lowest price was $255 and average price is $287.

(2) Newegg
Last edited by genesisturbo on May 3rd, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Summary
Shopping for an upgrade? Take a look at RFD Reviews' list of the best SSDs for your devices!
49 replies
Apr 30, 2020
263 posts
275 upvotes
These ssd hard drives will jump in prices very soon. There's a new crypto mining using SSDs...
Dec 26, 2012
920 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
PapaTroll wrote: These ssd hard drives will jump in prices very soon. There's a new crypto mining using SSDs...
I started mining CHIA last week for fun. Bought a 10TB HDD and a 2TB NVME.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1183 posts
1454 upvotes
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cr ... 2-nvme-ssd

OUR VERDICT
Crucial's P2 is perfect for a cheap M.2 NVMe boot drive. It offers enough performance to differentiate itself from the SATA competition, but it isn't as competitive against higher-end NVMe SSDs that cost only a few bucks more. It also might come with slower components in the future, so be sure to do your research.

FOR
Competitive performance
Power efficient
Five-year warranty
Black PCB
Software package
AGAINST
Firmware needs further performance optimization
Aesthetics could use some work
Small SLC write cache and slow direct-to-TLC write speed
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21166 posts
25124 upvotes
This is a warm deal in 2021.

COVID hit computer components harder than it hit biological components.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21988 posts
2806 upvotes
PapaTroll wrote: These ssd hard drives will jump in prices very soon. There's a new crypto mining using SSDs...
You don't mine Chia, it's farmed. Also a low TBW drive like this is useless.
Aug 19, 2013
926 posts
884 upvotes
TORONTO
I see this comment on almost every HDD/SSD thread. If it keeps up, it's going to be the toilet paper problem again
Jul 18, 2019
587 posts
1271 upvotes
North York ON
saudor wrote: I see this comment on almost every HDD/SSD thread. If it keeps up, it's going to be the toilet paper problem again
You may see a price increase on low end consumer drives because people didn't do their research and are snatching them up like toilet paper.

Knowledgeable farmers want high TBW consumer and enterprise SSDs. The low end SSDs are worthless for Chia. They aren't consistent enough in write speed and will burn out too soon.

The same goes for hard drives. High capacity drives (8TB+) use almost the same power as the low capacity drives. So you're going to have trouble finding those 16TB drives but 6TB or less will be in stock.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21166 posts
25124 upvotes
launch wrote: What is Triple C ?
Three Camels.

Direct mentions are banned on RFD as a direct competitor.

They're garbage in my experience. I'm not called 3CGuy for a reason.
Jun 15, 2020
167 posts
328 upvotes
Love this comment "Best outcome here seems to be for Chia to debut, promptly smash face-first into the pavement, and a bunch of predatory people get stuck with tons of hard drives they bought at premium pricing and don’t need anymore. Having spent nearly half of the last five years wrecking the GPU market, we don’t need any help with storage, thanks."
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/3 ... e-shortage

I personally predict we won't have a hard drive shortage and vendors like BestBuy who recently had a sale on the 8 TB drive are smart to capitalize and turnover inventory while demand is high. Other retailers who are sitting on inventory hoping for a premium prices I predict will be disappointed they missed out and will eventually have to try to sell their inventory at a loss after the chia tanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
xtrmDeals wrote: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cr ... 2-nvme-ssd

OUR VERDICT
Crucial's P2 is perfect for a cheap M.2 NVMe boot drive. It offers enough performance to differentiate itself from the SATA competition, but it isn't as competitive against higher-end NVMe SSDs that cost only a few bucks more. It also might come with slower components in the future, so be sure to do your research.

FOR
Competitive performance
Power efficient
Five-year warranty
Black PCB
Software package
AGAINST
Firmware needs further performance optimization
Aesthetics could use some work
Small SLC write cache and slow direct-to-TLC write speed
At this point, with the growing number of reports of Crucial switching this drive from TLC to QLC, it's probably best to disregard this review as it's basically based on a version of this drive that may or may not still exist.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
xtrmDeals wrote: I'm debating getting this one. Any opinions?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07ZG7JL8G

XPG S40G 2TB RGB 3D NAND PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.3 M.2 2280
Honestly, both are poor purchases IMO.

The S40G runs on a Marvell controller known for running super hot and the RGB produce a ton of heat. Crucial seems to have pulled a complete bait and switch with this particular drive and IMO, it's a much more egregious one than anything people have been saying about what Adata has done.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21166 posts
25124 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: You're upset about Adata switching a controller to a similarly performing one but perfectly ok with Crucial switching a drive from TLC to QLC Thinking Face.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NewMaxx/commen ... 2_now_qlc/
Your premise is wrong, but yes.

The P2 is still a fine choice for most-all consumers. ADATA's change might impact consumer experience in low airflow installations.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: Your premise is wrong, but yes.

The P2 is still a fine choice for most-all consumers. ADATA's change might impact consumer experience in low airflow installations.
You realise the drive is also DRAMless. By your own list of criteria, which you have previously posted, this drive fails.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1183 posts
1454 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Unfortunately, ADATA are known cheaters and liars.

Substituting for substandard components after the major reviewers have rung in.
Which nvme 2tb drive do you recommend? I'm not interested in gaming at all. Just need something for faster read (I do development).
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21166 posts
25124 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: You realise the drive is also DRAMless. By your own list of criteria, which you have previously posted, this drive fails.
I keep notes on a few of the major drives for purchasing reasons.

So color me surprised, if your DRAMless claim is true.

Consumer SSD makers are renowned hucksters it seems.