Expired Hot Deals

Newegg

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 128GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) F4-2666C19Q-128G 36% OFF 524.99$

Jul 4, 2009
359 posts
198 upvotes
SimonL556 wrote: This is a good price for Intel systems I guess, but doubt one would be able to tighten C19 2666Mhz to anything close to optimized for Ryzen.

Then again, why one could/would require 128GB is beyond me !
I do a tonne of 3d simulations and I would use 256 Gb of ram if I had the money. The regular Joe would not need this amount of RAM to play CoD/Fortnite or Minecraft w/ Raytracing. LoL
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1675 posts
969 upvotes
softimage69 wrote: I do a tonne of 3d simulations and I would use 256 Gb of ram if I had the money. The regular Joe would not need this amount of RAM to play CoD/Fortnite or Minecraft w/ Raytracing. LoL
Yea, exactly. Unless you have some specific application that needs this much, spend the cash on a smaller amount of fast memory.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3214 posts
1254 upvotes
Ottawa
softimage69 wrote: I do a tonne of 3d simulations and I would use 256 Gb of ram if I had the money. The regular Joe would not need this amount of RAM to play CoD/Fortnite or Minecraft w/ Raytracing. LoL
But they would if they're using Chrome as their browser! :razz:
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1746 posts
560 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: You'd almost want ECC at 128GB.

That said, I've been doing well with 64GB, I'm not yet in need of 128GB.

That may change by 2023.
I think ECC still really depends on how crucial data integrity is to your use case.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21703 posts
26232 upvotes
HugsNotDrugs wrote: I think ECC still really depends on how crucial data integrity is to your use case.
SEUs are a mother. In recent years, we've come up with partial mitigations in software and hardware for the lack of ECC, but my fate won't be dictated by a cosmic ray or downstream cascade of particles.

Not saying ECC is a must, but if I'm playing with the big boys at 128GB or higher, I'll consider all my options.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-event_upset#Cause
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3709 posts
1997 upvotes
HugsNotDrugs wrote: I think ECC still really depends on how crucial data integrity is to your use case.
Not just that but I find it funny that people insist on having it in certain places but not in others. For example, you see people obsessing over it in TrueNAS/Unraid etc yet they then grab files off said NAS, manipulate them on their PCs, then store them back on the NAS - all the while ignoring the fact they don't use ECC on their PCs.