2k for a 6core cpu, 16gb ram, and a xx70 gpu in 2021. Brutal
Oct 20, 2017
146 posts
398 upvotes
Canuckticut
quantman wrote: 2k for a 6core cpu, 16gb ram, and a xx70 gpu in 2021. Brutal
about to get much worse :P

https://www.windowscentral.com/if-youre ... ax-arrives

Trump's 25% tariff tax and the crypto-mining boom will make these prices look like a steal a few weeks from now. At this point I'm just hoping to get a 3060 ti through a prebuilt, I feel like I missed my chance to get it already.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1293 posts
359 upvotes
Westside
This is what I'm building for 2k with taxes. Obviously I could've went with cheaper parts but it's my sons first premium build. Everything was bought separately on sale. Board from Amazon, CPU/GPU Canada Computers and main order Newegg. Even picked up the 970 EVO on Craigslist. I definitely saved him some money and he learned a valuable lesson on patience.

Ryzen 5 5600X
ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WI-FI)
EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC GAMING
Phanteks Eclipse P400A PH-EC400ATG_DBK01
Fractal Design Ion+ 660P 80 PLUS Platinum 660W
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 NVMe PCI-E 500GB
Western Digital WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB
May 29, 2017
355 posts
278 upvotes
XGonGiveItToYa wrote: Uhm the showcased price is irrelevant though, nobody is selling at those prices anymore. The last 3070 in stock was on Newegg yesterday, this one here

https://www.newegg.ca/asus-geforce-rtx- ... 6814126484

It was 1100$ and still immediately sold out. Retailers are taking advantage of the high demand to pump up prices by hundreds of dollars. My 1300 figure was extremely generous and was a bare minimum, you won't find 3070 at MSRP anymore outside of Nvidia's website. It seems like many people still have the mindset that we're still in October/November 2020, we're not. Newegg has been particularly scummy here pushing combos where they add even higher prices to the GPU.
Best buy just dropped 3070 for $680 and $760 and 3080 for 1070$ just today, Newegg is just scalping. They've been selling gpus for 100-$400 markups over other retailers for weeks now.

Don't buy from scalper egg.
May 4, 2015
58 posts
13 upvotes
Montreal, QC
codex119 wrote: Best buy just dropped 3070 for $680 and $760 and 3080 for 1070$ just today, Newegg is just scalping. They've been selling gpus for 100-$400 markups over other retailers for weeks now.

Yeah, every time when I try to buy from those drops, my card is empty...
Nov 11, 2019
24 posts
11 upvotes
XGonGiveItToYa wrote: about to get much worse :P

Trump's 25% tariff tax and the crypto-mining boom will make these prices look like a steal a few weeks from now. At this point I'm just hoping to get a 3060 ti through a prebuilt, I feel like I missed my chance to get it already.
How does a Trump tariff affect Canadian video card prices?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2293 posts
929 upvotes
Flonkeys wrote: On a related note, all I've heard about these tariffs is in relation to the US. Not much mention of Canada. I'm wondering if we can all just ship directly from China going forward and avoid them.
I have stuff come in weekly from China... no tariffs whatsoever. For the price, if you are getting what you get...the price is decent considering there are so many that don't like chancing their own builds... Nothing more than trying to straighten a Ryzen pin and accidentally bending a few more to toast your CPU simply because you didn't sit it right initially. Shipping right now everywhere is quick now that things have eased up and they are trying to get everything they may have missed out. I live remotely in Bracebridge where we have a third party courier for everything so add on a few days yet I had a parcel sent from San Jose Friday and delivered Saturday night. I might consider their reputations as well... Reputation? What reputation? This purchase will either be a steal of a PC for the price or living hell...
Jul 2, 2015
214 posts
216 upvotes
Dartmouth
XGonGiveItToYa wrote: It's actually a good deal when you consider that GPU prices are about to get much worse (tariffs). My only worry would be the PSU.
While I agree the price isn't bad, the tarrifs won't apply if you ship to Canada direct from China, as this is.

The tarrifs are only being applied by companies who are getting the parts distributed through the US.
Jul 2, 2015
214 posts
216 upvotes
Dartmouth
Oladepot wrote: How does a Trump tariff affect Canadian video card prices?
Most Companies in Canada get their parts from US distributers. Those US distributers get hit with the tarriff and pass it on to the company here in Canada.

The only way to bypass this right now is to not have parts go through the US. Unfortunately that is a change that will take time, and the companies are not really incentivized to do it if they are selling out regardless.
Jun 26, 2007
979 posts
697 upvotes
LindsayD156134 wrote: While I agree the price isn't bad, the tarrifs won't apply if you ship to Canada direct from China, as this is.

The tarrifs are only being applied by companies who are getting the parts distributed through the US.
Those tariffs are high enough that it won't be economically viable to import through the US while they exist. 30% is more than enough to get every Canadian store who is importing though the US to switch up their supply-lines.
Jul 2, 2015
214 posts
216 upvotes
Dartmouth
Flunk wrote: Those tariffs are high enough that it won't be economically viable to import through the US while they exist. 30% is more than enough to get every Canadian store who is importing though the US to switch up their supply-lines.
They are already starting to apply on some gpus, and they are still selling out.

Also, its not like they can get a new distributer overnight, it can take months or even years to sort out a new distributer for mass drops.
Feb 14, 2006
554 posts
490 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
quantman wrote: 2k for a 6core cpu, 16gb ram, and a xx70 gpu in 2021. Brutal
Try 2024. Seems mortgages and computer components are real cheap during us election years, then spike drastically the year after... Hoping it's only going to affect components and not mortgages
Nov 17, 2019
303 posts
778 upvotes
XGonGiveItToYa wrote: about to get much worse :P

Yup, those that need new gaming desktops should buy a laptop and find something else to do for 2021... :facepalm:

The pandemic related price increases, tariffs and mining will all end eventually. I'm much more worried about people's acceptance of higher MSRPs and the "of course its more expensive, its faster than this 2 year old part" logic.
Jan 28, 2012
57 posts
13 upvotes
CALGARY
XGonGiveItToYa wrote: Uhm the showcased price is irrelevant though, nobody is selling at those prices anymore. The last 3070 in stock was on Newegg yesterday, this one here

https://www.newegg.ca/asus-geforce-rtx- ... 6814126484

It was 1100$ and still immediately sold out. Retailers are taking advantage of the high demand to pump up prices by hundreds of dollars. My 1300 figure was extremely generous and was a bare minimum, you won't find 3070 at MSRP anymore outside of Nvidia's website. It seems like many people still have the mindset that we're still in October/November 2020, we're not. Newegg has been particularly scummy here pushing combos where they add even higher prices to the GPU.
Newegg is scalping hard though. Best Buy dropped a ton of 3070s yesterday at either $680 or $760 depending on if you went FE or eVGA.
Jan 19, 2018
881 posts
605 upvotes
Shozzking wrote: Newegg is scalping hard though. Best Buy dropped a ton of 3070s yesterday at either $680 or $760 depending on if you went FE or eVGA.
Wasnt exactly “tons”. It was around 160 FE and 66 EVGA XC3 if I recall correctly. That’s stock from one of the largest electronic retailers for the entire country of 38 million people and it lasted no more than a minute.
Oct 20, 2017
146 posts
398 upvotes
Canuckticut
codex119 wrote: Best buy just dropped 3070 for $680 and $760 and 3080 for 1070$ just today, Newegg is just scalping. They've been selling gpus for 100-$400 markups over other retailers for weeks now.

Oh yeah looks like you're right

https://www.nowinstock.net/ca/computers ... istory.php

But looks like it was a rare drop because the last drop on Best Buy and Amazon before that was December 28th. Good on Best Buy and Amazon for not scalping like the others.

Oladepot wrote: How does a Trump tariff affect Canadian video card prices?
Any GPU that enters the US from China is slapped with a 25-30% tariff tax, and we get most of our GPU's from the US so we take in those units with tariffs already applied on them. This shows just how dependent and reliant Canadian distributors are on American ones. The official excuse is that Canada is too small of a market to receive products from suppliers directly but that seems hard to believe considering we're a 1.8 trillion $ economy with almost 40 million people, probably only because Canadian distributors are incompetent in comparison to American ones.
May 29, 2017
355 posts
278 upvotes
XGonGiveItToYa wrote: Oh yeah looks like you're right

But looks like it was a rare drop because the last drop on Best Buy and Amazon before that was December 28th. Good on Best Buy and Amazon for not scalping like the others.

Any GPU that enters the US from China is slapped with a 25-30% tariff tax, and we get most of our GPU's from the US so we take in those units with tariffs already applied on them. This shows just how dependent and reliant Canadian distributors are on American ones. The official excuse is that Canada is too small of a market to receive products from suppliers directly but that seems hard to believe considering we're a 1.8 trillion $ economy with almost 40 million people, probably only because Canadian distributors are incompetent in comparison to American ones.
The last drop before that was the week before. Best buy, canada computers, and memx all drop weekly, however only best buy/amazon drops online and scalper egg is using the opportunity to scalp since they get the most stock out of any major cdn gpu retailer

Also us tariffs do not apply here, regardless of whether or not they came through the states. Us tariffs applies only to us based buyers.
Jun 18, 2006
561 posts
24 upvotes
XGonGiveItToYa wrote: Oh yeah looks like you're right

Thanks for the link to nowinstock.net. Does anyone know of any others? This one seems to focus on Amazon for many items - thanks in advance.
Oct 20, 2017
146 posts
398 upvotes
Canuckticut
hymack wrote: Thanks for the link to nowinstock.net. Does anyone know of any others? This one seems to focus on Amazon for many items - thanks in advance.
That website is unfortunately too slow for most, you should probably use a stream that auto-refreshes stock every few seconds. Here's an example though I imagine there are better ones, also follow the Discord channel, should have an alarm sound with it

codex119 wrote: The last drop before that was the week before. Best buy, canada computers, and memx all drop weekly, however only best buy/amazon drops online and scalper egg is using the opportunity to scalp since they get the most stock out of any major cdn gpu retailer

Also us tariffs do not apply here, regardless of whether or not they came through the states. Us tariffs applies only to us based buyers.
I don't know if most GPU's sold in Canada are directly from suppliers or American distributors, but if it's the latter then it's a problem. Smaller Canadian retailers who buy their GPU's from US distributors will have to pay the 25% tariff tax, while those who buy directly from AMD and Nvidia won't. Any GPU that arrives at a US port and enters the country will be hit with the tariffs, even if the destination was a Canadian buyer. Not to mention that due to high demand the Canadian distributors/retailers will likely still increase the price and justify it as "matching US market prices". Bad news no matter what.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1405 posts
471 upvotes
I just purchased a 3070 and PSU combo from NewEgg not realizing the scalping.

Apparently there's also no refunds even with the combo attachment PSU. Confused Face
Capture.JPG
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D