Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] [HDD] WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive WD2003FZEX $129.99 PM ME $179.99 (After PM $124.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 4:10 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2730 posts
985 upvotes
Definitely a bit on the expensive side. But I stick to WD black for my secondary drives with sensitive data. All it takes is have one or two drives fail on you with data that you need to make it worth spending a bit more $ where it’s worth it.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1013 posts
817 upvotes
CensoredByRFD wrote: Definitely a bit on the expensive side. But I stick to WD black for my secondary drives with sensitive data. All it takes is have one or two drives fail on you with data that you need to make it worth spending a bit more $ where it’s worth it.
If worried about data reliability, wouldn't it make more sense to have 2x copies of the 2TB data with a mirror of either 2TB Seagate Barracuda or 2TB WD Blue since these drives are only $70each, 2 = $140 vs 2TB WD Black @ $124 ???

With the price of SSD's coming down, any mechanical HD 2TB and lower are set to fall ... 4TB will be the lowest size to make it worthwhile...
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2730 posts
985 upvotes
frugal69 wrote: If worried about data reliability, wouldn't it make more sense to have 2x copies of the 2TB data with a mirror of either 2TB Seagate Barracuda or 2TB WD Blue since these drives are only $70each, 2 = $140 vs 2TB WD Black @ $124 ???

With the price of SSD's coming down, any mechanical HD 2TB and lower are set to fall ... 4TB will be the lowest size to make it worthwhile...
Yeah, I’m starting to get to that point since pretty much everything is so cheap. At least possibly in the future. Unfortunately my MOBO only has 4 SATA ports so it’s limiting my options a bit, as I already have 4 different HDDs for different types of data.
Nov 22, 2017
83 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
IDK, 2020 and 2TB cost 100 more is just ridiculous price
the Brand, the "Black", The "Gaming" all contribute to no real value but jack the price to the kingdom Fxxking high.

SSD or NVME SSD is the way to go

There is no real difference between a normal 7200rpm 2TB than this GAMING!!! one,
May 23, 2008
817 posts
395 upvotes
Gtown ON
ChubChub wrote: You're pretty lucky to not have had a harddrive failure. I'm assuming you're either reasonably young, or haven't owned many drives (I am 41, and have owned easily 75 drives personally, which I've had 10-ish failures). The 2.1GB and smaller drives were WAYYY above 1% failure rate, across the board. And many of us got burned by the 500GB IBM Deskstar click of death, and 3TB Seagate random death, both of whose failure rate at my work were close to 25% over 3 years.
Yeah, the OP must be very young. I had probably a hair less drives than you, and I have more years (my first was a 20 MB, and my nickname dates from when a RAID 0 was the cheapest way to get faster storage), and I had my fair share of hard drive failures, to the point that I swore in my beard to only buy SSDs (with which I had more luck, only one failure out of probably 25 drives).

This WD Black has no value for anyone. For whoever thinks of it, get a 250 GB SSD for $50, make it a boot drive, and get the cheapest 2 TB HDD for $70. Put the applications you use most on the SSD and all user files on the HDD. Your computer will feel an order of magnitude faster than just using the WD Black, and you pay the same price. Backup your files in the cloud or on another drive (advice valid even if you get the WD Black).
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2800 posts
2529 upvotes
Montreal
board123 wrote: I've never had a hard drive fail on me. Chances are, most people will never experience a hard drive failure. Given the average failure rate of hard drives is on the order of 1%,
I've had many HDDs fail on me over the years and I've owned far less than 100. I've had failures after 1 and 2 years, and of course at the 5 and 10 year marks.
Nov 22, 2019
83 posts
17 upvotes
aandaleb wrote: I bought my 4TB from Costco for $165 around 8 years ago....
My point was to have something for the OP to compare to, to determine whether what is posted is a deal. If you're happy with your $165 8 years ago, I'm glad for you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6575 posts
1185 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
CensoredByRFD wrote: Definitely a bit on the expensive side. But I stick to WD black for my secondary drives with sensitive data. All it takes is have one or two drives fail on you with data that you need to make it worth spending a bit more $ where it’s worth it.
A Black drive isn't really more reliable than any other drive you can get. Redundancy is the key when it comes to secure your data. Spend that money on external drives, NAS, or even cloud backup instead.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Aug 19, 2013
733 posts
568 upvotes
TORONTO
board123 wrote: I'm neither of those, but I'm confident in saying that your experience with hard drives is not representative of "most people", or in line with hard drive reliability stats in general.
Unless they swap their drives out every year. I keep mine for about 6 to 8 years so failure rate is about 90% with fairly light use. Most of them are not catastrophic though/degrade slowly - unless it's a seagate. Those tend to just stop spinning all of a sudden. Another seagate (the famous 3TB from 2012) also failed miserably too.

EDIT: My WD elements from 2011 is really weird. It had a bunch of bad sectors/relocation events within two years. Did a surface test and noticed most of the issues were at the end of the drive. Partitioned that part off and used the drive as a 3rd backup copy.. Working great even right now in 2020. No change in pending/bad sector count.
Last edited by saudor on Oct 21st, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2293 posts
782 upvotes
this is a hard deal to drive
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8423 posts
3610 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
ChubChub wrote: You're pretty lucky to not have had a harddrive failure. I'm assuming you're either reasonably young, or haven't owned many drives (I am 41, and have owned easily 75 drives personally, which I've had 10-ish failures). The 2.1GB and smaller drives were WAYYY above 1% failure rate, across the board. And many of us got burned by the 500GB IBM Deskstar click of death, and 3TB Seagate random death, both of whose failure rate at my work were close to 25% over 3 years.
Teehee... 500GB Deathstar... try a 45GB Deathstar 75GXP. Had to RMA my drive like 3 times until they finally replaced it with a 120GXP.
May 28, 2007
269 posts
85 upvotes
Mississauga
Similar price on Amazon for the last ... months? :) Speaking of WD, a haven't had a single WD failing on me. Seagate, on other hand ... :)
Oct 24, 2010
356 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
Why is this still on the front page? (whoops)