Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] HGST Deskstar NAS 10TB NewEgg $379.99 CDN

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2018 5:21 pm
[OP]
Member
Jan 16, 2009
256 posts
146 upvotes
Lethbridge

[Newegg] HGST Deskstar NAS 10TB NewEgg $379.99 CDN

For anyone looking for a large NAS grade drive, this is a great deal.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2791 posts
801 upvotes
Toronto
At the time of this post, FREE shipping is listed.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 28, 2002
3473 posts
2014 upvotes
Still Prefer 8 TB for around $180-200 in external form. i'd bite at OP deal if it were $239
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Sr. Member
Jun 8, 2007
855 posts
240 upvotes
Oshawa
Redscott wrote: Still Prefer 8 TB for around $180-200 in external form. i'd bite at OP deal if it were $239
Depends on your prorities. Hgst is probably the favorite brand of data horders if you are looking for reliability and if warranty is important to you.

Shucking hds out of externals leaves you with likely no warranty (not always true as some people have had luck) and a lottery of models. When you could reliable get wr reds it was a no brainier. It's a little tougher now.

All that said any links to 8tb in $180 range for folks that might be interested
[OP]
Member
Jan 16, 2009
256 posts
146 upvotes
Lethbridge
Bedpan wrote: Depends on your prorities. Hgst is probably the favorite brand of data horders if you are looking for reliability and if warranty is important to you.

Shucking hds out of externals leaves you with likely no warranty (not always true as some people have had luck) and a lottery of models. When you could reliable get wr reds it was a no brainier. It's a little tougher now.

All that said any links to 8tb in $180 range for folks that might be interested
I'm generally of the opinion that those external drives are a great backup option, but that if you have the money, a drive like this one is a far better primary storage option. Fully agreed on the links to cheap 8tb externals for anyone that might be interested.
Banned
Sep 5, 2016
344 posts
370 upvotes
Friendly advice from experts, if I want to buy Internal hard drive for my normal home PC(1 or 2 hours daily use after that shut down). HDD not the SSD.
If in any deal I found same price for all these HDD with same capacity & other properties.
Seagate: Firecuda or Ironwolf or Barracuda
WD :Black or Red or Blue
What is the recommended preference order for buying hard disk from above list. This is general advice so that I will buy the best option with same price.
Or I have to stick only Seagate Barracuda or WD Blue.
thanks
Satisfied Customer from these providers :-
Koodo Mobile
Public Mobile
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Member
Jan 16, 2009
256 posts
146 upvotes
Lethbridge
guru2gr8 wrote: Friendly advice from experts, if I want to buy Internal hard drive for my normal home PC(1 or 2 hours daily use after that shut down). HDD not the SSD.
If in any deal I found same price for all these HDD with same capacity & other properties.
Seagate: Firecuda or Ironwolf or Barracuda
WD :Black or Red or Blue
What is the recommended preference order for buying hard disk from above list. This is general advice so that I will buy the best option with same price.
Or I have to stick only Seagate Barracuda or WD Blue.
thanks
On the WD side - Blue is generally for lower performance needs (ie, a media drive) and lower cost - I believe it may use less power too, but I'm just going by memory. The Red should have a better warranty, and be better performing, but the main reason most people get a Red is that it is designed for 24/7 use. The Black is purely for performance, and uses more power. I don't see as much of a reason to buy a Black these days - back when people were still installing their software - games in particular - on a hard drive, that was where the Black excelled. But, if it was the same price as a Blue, I would buy the Black first.

On the Seagate side, Ironwolf more or less equals Red, and Barracude I believe more or less equals Blue. The Firecuda I believe has a small SSD cache, which under some circumstances will make it quicker - so it may loosely compare to a Black. I'm sure someone else can come along and correct me though.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 28, 2002
3473 posts
2014 upvotes
Bedpan wrote: All that said any links to 8tb in $180 range for folks that might be interested
Staples $210 Seagate® 8 TB external STEB8000100 no usb 3.0 HUB but you can use Staples coupons to knock down price with a wee bit further + FS

https://www.staples.ca/en/Seagate-STEB8 ... CA_1_20001



Newegg Canada Ebay $200 with FS - Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB USB 3.0 Hard Drives - Desktop External STEL8000100 B

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Seagate-Backup- ... 2ef7136a6d

No better deals I know of currently. yes cracking open casing risks no warranty but I am a cheap SOB :)
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Member
Feb 15, 2017
219 posts
69 upvotes
Good price for NAS rate drive is $33.00/TB. So $200 for 6TB, $270 for 8TB and $340 for 10 TB. I think Newegg had 6TB HGST for $200 a couple of days ago.
[OP]
Member
Jan 16, 2009
256 posts
146 upvotes
Lethbridge
slomoo wrote: Good price for NAS rate drive is $33.00/TB. So $200 for 6TB, $270 for 8TB and $340 for 10 TB. I think Newegg had 6TB HGST for $200 a couple of days ago.
I don't think you're going to find 10's or 12's at that rate yet. It's not all about the $/TB ratio either - it's all about the TB/drive density ratio too. You're going to have a tough time finding 8's that are NAS rated at that $/TB ratio too.
Member
Sep 24, 2010
221 posts
75 upvotes
Regina, SK
Maplicito wrote: You're going to have a tough time finding 8's that are NAS rated at that $/TB ratio too.
Newegg routinely puts the 8TB HGST NAS drives on sale in the $260-290 range.
[OP]
Member
Jan 16, 2009
256 posts
146 upvotes
Lethbridge
Derko wrote: Newegg routinely puts the 8TB HGST NAS drives on sale in the $260-290 range.
That would be a good $/TB ratio then - but I still don't think you're going to find that ratio for a 10 or 12 any time soon.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2009
2413 posts
537 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
Redscott wrote: Staples $210 Seagate® 8 TB external STEB8000100 no usb 3.0 HUB but you can use Staples coupons to knock down price with a wee bit further + FS

https://www.staples.ca/en/Seagate-STEB8 ... CA_1_20001



Newegg Canada Ebay $200 with FS - Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB USB 3.0 Hard Drives - Desktop External STEL8000100 B

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Seagate-Backup- ... 2ef7136a6d

No better deals I know of currently. yes cracking open casing risks no warranty but I am a cheap SOB :)
amazon has the Seagate® 8 TB external STEB8000100 on for $207.98 (possibly just prime and limited to one per purchase Unamused Face and just went oos Thursday). I almost pulled the trigger on one and had a buddy order a second for me this last week but decided to hold off. my two 5TB's from the last shucks are at 90% capacity. still a couple of months left on warranty (unshucked) and I've had zero problems. they had Seagates inside. it'd be nice to have the hub version at this price point to utilize the housing for something else. it seems like it's impossible to open the hub without damage to the tabs. whereas the backup plus I can open up with no trace of damage, if warranty was ever required.. maybe I'll pick up one from staples today. if I can find a decent coupon. thanks for posting. setting up a NAS is still above my head lol
Second rule of RFD ... don't talk about stocktrack.ca with non-members of RFD
Third rule of RFD ... see first rule. if you don`t know first rule, someone`s following the rules ;)

Woodstock, ON
Sr. Member
Aug 27, 2008
606 posts
120 upvotes
montreal
crashxxx wrote: amazon has the Seagate® 8 TB external STEB8000100 on for $207.98 (possibly just prime and limited to one per purchase Unamused Face and just went oos Thursday). I almost pulled the trigger on one and had a buddy order a second for me this last week but decided to hold off. my two 5TB's from the last shucks are at 90% capacity. still a couple of months left on warranty (unshucked) and I've had zero problems. they had Seagates inside. it'd be nice to have the hub version at this price point to utilize the housing for something else. it seems like it's impossible to open the hub without damage to the tabs. whereas the backup plus I can open up with no trace of damage, if warranty was ever required.. maybe I'll pick up one from staples today. if I can find a decent coupon. thanks for posting. setting up a NAS is still above my head lol
How do you open a backup+ without breaking the plastic tabs?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2009
2413 posts
537 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
Metninja wrote: How do you open a backup+ without breaking the plastic tabs?
guitar pics Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes watch the YouTube vids of people snapping clips using a screw driver to open. note where the clips are all located on the model you are opening. slip a guitar pic in to engage each tab working your way around until it basically falls apart. creates no damage whatsoever. my housings still have the shrink wrap on them in the original boxes.
it appears to be more challenging on the hub version because the top (or bottom) has a deeper lip and could be troublesome to get the pics in to engage all of the tabs/clips.
Second rule of RFD ... don't talk about stocktrack.ca with non-members of RFD
Third rule of RFD ... see first rule. if you don`t know first rule, someone`s following the rules ;)

Woodstock, ON
Newbie
Nov 30, 2015
86 posts
54 upvotes
BC
i noticed today the prices are still valid. Also on the ebates page there is a - $20 coupon for the 8tb drive which brings it down to $270 before taxes ($33.7 per 1 TB). The coupon does not show on neweggs' page

coupon: CEMCPRRV22
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2791 posts
801 upvotes
Toronto
pulamea wrote: i noticed today the prices are still valid...
It just went back on sale a few hours? ago. :)
Thanked.

Top