Expired Hot Deals

Newegg

HOT!!! Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro Access Point (Wi-Fi 802.11ac, 3x3 MIMO technology) - $179.99 + $7.99 shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2017 4:59 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
13210 posts
12518 upvotes
Oil Country

[Newegg] HOT!!! Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro Access Point (Wi-Fi 802.11ac, 3x3 MIMO technology) - $179.99 + $7.99 shipping

I've had my eye on this access point for the past couple of weeks, and I'm happy I didn't jump the gun. The regular price for this access point has been $250CAD, and for the past few weeks NCIX ($209.99), Mike's Computer Shop ($209.99), and Newegg ($199.99+shipping) have had it on sale for about the same price. I've been resisting the temptation to buy this access point at $200, and I'm glad I held out. This morning, Newegg dropped the price down to $179.99.

For people not familiar with Ubiquiti Networks, they make enterprise grade networking components affordable to consumers. From what I've been reading, this access point will destroy the wireless performance (range and throughput) of all consumer model wireless routers. You don't even need to buy one of their EdgeRouters (I did anyway), you just need to plug into your existing router and set it at the highest point in your home.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

Make sure you research before buying, so you know what you're getting yourself into.
113 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
13210 posts
12518 upvotes
Oil Country
ramramram wrote: No controller needed right?
https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/
The UniFi Controller v4 software is a powerful, enterprise wireless software engine ideal for high-density client deployments requiring low latency and high uptime performance. With its software-based capabilities, the UniFi virtual control plane allows for unlimited scalability under one centralized controller. Remotely access the UniFi Controller to upgrade deployed UniFi APs while in the field.
Nope... I "think" it has a web accessible interface. You need to install the controller software on your computer to manage it.
https://www.ubnt.com/download/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro
Last edited by fudge_u on Nov 25th, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4193 posts
1733 upvotes
Toronto
Ugh.... What do I do?!??!

I currently have an AP AC LR (long range) on backorder until the 28th from another for about $160 all in.

Is it worth cancelling that order for this AP AC Pro? Am i going to notice a significant drop-off in range?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
13210 posts
12518 upvotes
Oil Country
Repooc wrote: Ugh.... What do I do?!??!

I currently have an AP AC LR (long range) on backorder until the 28th from another for about $160 all in.

Is it worth cancelling that order for this AP AC Pro? Am i going to notice a significant drop-off in range?
I wanted throughput, hence why I went with the Pro. It's 1750Mbps vs 1300Mbps (I believe). My home is only 1750sqft, so I can't imagine needing the LR. Worst case, I'll just buy another Pro down the road.
Nov 21, 2010
510 posts
321 upvotes
Surrey
This is a crazy deal! I would jump on this, but my Netgear X6 R8000 is already carpet bombing my entire house (and quarter block around the neighborhood) with WiFi.
May 18, 2007
643 posts
98 upvotes
Do I need 2, for each floor of my 2-story home (3000 sq ft.)?
Nov 21, 2010
510 posts
321 upvotes
Surrey
Repooc wrote: Ugh.... What do I do?!??!

If your house is more "rectangular" as opposed to "square", or if you have a very large place with long diagonal across AND you must put your access point in one of the corners of the building, then you should go with the LR. Otherwise, the Pro should be way better in most use cases. And worst case scenario, you can just get a second UAP AC Pro, and they'll work wonderful together.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4967 posts
3087 upvotes
I have the AC Lite and enjoy their products overall.

One thing to keep in mind about routers or access points with super long range is that just because it has the power to broadcast at long distances, doesn't mean your itty bitty phone or other devices can necessarily transmit back. Think of it one person using a megaphone and another person just shouting -- they can keep communicating to one another when they're close together, but as they gradually move apart eventually only the person with a megaphone can be heard. So depending on your needs or environment, sometimes you're better off with multiple access points instead of one big mega one.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20142 posts
8179 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Do these have a channel out the bottom through to the side of the unit if you are going to mount this on a wall in a location that isn't exactly on top of a CAT6 jack and will require to run the cable along the wall?

I'm not sold on these compared to just using a good router as an AP unless you really have to have it on a ceiling powered by PoE. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to run ethernet to a central ceiling location in my house and really aint in the mood for fishing. :)
Sep 27, 2009
629 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hmm so tempting, but the only thing stopping me is putting this at the highest point in my house, building a new house move in is in 2 months.

Would it be pointless to hook this up in the middle floor or the house? Pretty much same price as other higher end routers, my house is fully wired for Cat6 in each room but other gadgets like ipads and laptops this would be useful for hmmmm
Jun 8, 2007
915 posts
271 upvotes
Oshawa
If you can get it near the middle of the house I would think it would give you coverage through out... I am on a LR version (Longer range but slower and no 5ghz) and it covers my 1800sqft 1 storey house just fine. That's main floor and basement. Beyond that it covers most of my yard which is quite large as well. It is a guess but I would think it would do ok.

pr3dat0r wrote: Do I need 2, for each floor of my 2-story home (3000 sq ft.)?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1490 posts
327 upvotes
How does this compare to a net gear ac1900?

Does this do auto band managing?

I live in a town house and have lots of interference from neighbours who are basically bombing with overloaded spectrums all over the place. I'd like something that allows my connections to knock about automatically given on the fastest channels available. Will this do it?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
13210 posts
12518 upvotes
Oil Country
RiCHC3 wrote: I have the AC Lite and enjoy their products overall.

One thing to keep in mind about routers or access points with super long range is that just because it has the power to broadcast at long distances, doesn't mean your itty bitty phone or other devices can necessarily transmit back. Think of it one person using a megaphone and another person just shouting -- they can keep communicating to one another when they're close together, but as they gradually move apart eventually only the person with a megaphone can be heard. So depending on your needs or environment, sometimes you're better off with multiple access points instead of one big mega one.
Great analogy.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1364 posts
598 upvotes
hmm yeah what is the antenna signal shape for this?
is it unidirectional?
Jun 8, 2007
915 posts
271 upvotes
Oshawa
Middle point I would argue would be better then highest. Highest may give better coverage out into the yard but not necessarily to the whole house. Every house is unique based on internal walls and building materials.. Middle should be fine though.
itr452 wrote: Hmm so tempting, but the only thing stopping me is putting this at the highest point in my house, building a new house move in is in 2 months.

Would it be pointless to hook this up in the middle floor or the house? Pretty much same price as other higher end routers, my house is fully wired for Cat6 in each room but other gadgets like ipads and laptops this would be useful for hmmmm
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4193 posts
1733 upvotes
Toronto
chiisana wrote: If your house is more "rectangular" as opposed to "square", or if you have a very large place with long diagonal across AND you must put your access point in one of the corners of the building, then you should go with the LR. Otherwise, the Pro should be way better in most use cases. And worst case scenario, you can just get a second UAP AC Pro, and they'll work wonderful together.
My house is definitely square-shaped and just over 2,800 sq ft on the main and second floors. Planning on finishing my basement soon, so I'll need coverage for about 4,200 sq ft.

Luckily for me, I've planned and made provisions to place my AP AC LR on the main level smack dab in the middle of the house. So, optimally I should have have good reach throughout my home.

I don't think streaming videos to mobile devices (tablets, etc) require THAT much bandswidth does it? 1300Mbps should be sufficient no? I was most converned with getting decent coverage across my lot from my driveway to my backyard
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4193 posts
1733 upvotes
Toronto
Bedpan wrote: If you can get it near the middle of the house I would think it would give you coverage through out... I am on a LR version (Longer range but slower and no 5ghz) and it covers my 1800sqft 1 storey house just fine. That's main floor and basement. Beyond that it covers most of my yard which is quite large as well. It is a guess but I would think it would do ok.
Are you sure there's no 5Ghz band on the LR?!!??

EDIT:
I just checked the ubiquti website... not sure where you're getting your info from. The LR does indeed have a 5Ghz band.

2.4Ghz
LR = 450 Mbps
Pro = 450 Mbps

5.0 Ghz
LR = 867 Mbps
Pro = 1300 Mbps
Last edited by Repooc on Nov 25th, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)