Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Huawei Watch Refurb $219, 53% off

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2017 8:48 pm
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes
No time machine but was $179 in December
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
3403 posts
974 upvotes
Vaughan
Refurbs can be risky as you might get one that's scratched up.
Last edited by ayo23 on Jan 20th, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 20, 2016
346 posts
314 upvotes
What would somebody need this for? Only thing I see is for the heart rate monitor. Educate me guys because I see everyone with fancy cell phones in their hands. Why would they need this watch or any smart watch? Thank you
Deal Addict
May 2, 2005
1254 posts
387 upvotes
North York
torontocanada1968 wrote: What would somebody need this for? Only thing I see is for the heart rate monitor. Educate me guys because I see everyone with fancy cell phones in their hands. Why would they need this watch or any smart watch? Thank you
To each their own, but I have this watch and have been using Android Wear smartwatches since the original Moto 360. I actually disable the heartrate monitor and fitness parts of the watch because I never use them.

I use this as my notification centre. If I'm out and about and my phone goes off, I can quickly check my watch to see whether or not it's something important or just another text message in a group chat that I don't need to look at right away. You say I can just pull out my fancy phone, but I find it a lot easier to glance at my watch for a split second than to take my phone out of my pocket, turn it on, check it and put it back in my pocket. Especially good in the winter if I'm bundled up. You can also take action on notifications.

It also has voice commands that I've used from time to time. You can call or text through it and it's a pretty neat companion to have while driving. If I need to make a phone call on my car's bluetooth and I don't have a car with voice commands, I can use the watch the call someone in my contacts.

At the end of the day, do I absolutely need to have this watch? No. But do I like having it? Yes.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
darkz wrote: To each their own, but I have this watch and have been using Android Wear smartwatches since the original Moto 360. I actually disable the heartrate monitor and fitness parts of the watch because I never use them.

I use this as my notification centre. If I'm out and about and my phone goes off, I can quickly check my watch to see whether or not it's something important or just another text message in a group chat that I don't need to look at right away. You say I can just pull out my fancy phone, but I find it a lot easier to glance at my watch for a split second than to take my phone out of my pocket, turn it on, check it and put it back in my pocket. Especially good in the winter if I'm bundled up. You can also take action on notifications.

It also has voice commands that I've used from time to time. You can call or text through it and it's a pretty neat companion to have while driving. If I need to make a phone call on my car's bluetooth and I don't have a car with voice commands, I can use the watch the call someone in my contacts.

At the end of the day, do I absolutely need to have this watch? No. But do I like having it? Yes.
Perfectly summed up here. It's amazing if you are the type of phone user that has a lot notifications whether be it text messages, whatsapp, instagram etc.

You are able to quickly take a glance and even reply using voice commands without pulling out the phone from the pocket. All in all, it's a convenience factor and the Huawei watch in particular looks stylish while retaining a classic leather watch look.
Jul 20, 2016
346 posts
314 upvotes
darkz wrote: To each their own, but I have this watch and have been using Android Wear smartwatches since the original Moto 360. I actually disable the heartrate monitor and fitness parts of the watch because I never use them.

Well put. And if dont have a watch its actually a very nice looking one.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes
Great watch, waiting for $159 to get them for other family members
Feb 21, 2014
448 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
These watches will support Android Wear 2.0 as well and get monthly updates from Google like the Nexus/Pixel phones. Great watch.
Jan 16, 2008
52 posts
This watch is great, I bought the refurb right after Christmas. Everything was like new, including the box, except for a small scratch on one of the lugs. Mine was shipped from BC though, so it took almost two weeks to arrive. It looks even better with a stainless steel band, I'd recommend this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01EMS ... UTF8&psc=1

That band is not tapered toward the clasp for anyone wondering.

Also there is a known problem with the screen on these watches:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei ... e-t3214209

The screen is tinted red when it's displaying a black image instead of pure black like AMOLED screens should. This is noticeable at night with a dark watchface or if you have the always on feature enabled. I didn't know about this when I bought it and I was disappointed to see it, but I ended up just disabling the always on feature and I don't notice it anymore. It's something to be aware of though.
Apr 9, 2012
425 posts
179 upvotes
I went a week without my Moto360 and I found I really missed it. Took me 6 moths to really make use of the watch but now that its part of my daily use I love it. Sonos and notifications are the most important.
Mar 27, 2010
487 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
filip83 wrote: Also there is a known problem with the screen on these watches:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei ... e-t3214209

The screen is tinted red when it's displaying a black image instead of pure black like AMOLED screens should. This is noticeable at night with a dark watchface or if you have the always on feature enabled. I didn't know about this when I bought it and I was disappointed to see it, but I ended up just disabling the always on feature and I don't notice it anymore. It's something to be aware of though.
This might have been true of the earlier versions as that thread is from 2015. Mine has no such red tint in a totally dark room.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1334 posts
978 upvotes
Ottawa
darkz wrote: At the end of the day, do I absolutely need to have this watch? No. But do I like having it? Yes.
This. I picked up my first smartwatch (Samsung Gear S2) on Boxing Day, and have been thoroughly enjoying it. A watch is a pretty popular accessory... at the $200-$250 price point, might as well make it a smart one.
Oct 28, 2005
32 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I've been trolling this deal and it went down to $209 this week. Off to buy it now. Thanks Op!
Oct 11, 2007
499 posts
399 upvotes
Montreal
Does anybody know when this watch will get Android Wear 2.0? I know the developer preview exists but been waiting for the official release.
Oct 13, 2007
644 posts
254 upvotes
Alberta
gfhgf wrote: Does anybody know when this watch will get Android Wear 2.0? I know the developer preview exists but been waiting for the official release.
Latest I have been reading was mid march. They are pulling an lg and releasing their new watch first then the get the 2.0 out to the rest.
Jul 28, 2011
256 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Just a quick review of the watch after using it for a week. It's actually better than expected!

The watch box is buautiful. The watch looks classy, and not too big (I'm 6" tall). I couldn't find a single scratch on it, altough it's refurbished.

It took a few hours and numerous reboots until watch was updated to the latest Android Wear, but since then it's a smooth ride. The battery life is better than expected. I thought it would struggle to get the full day, but will all notifications and vibrations ON, with the screen always on, I get around 30-40% before I go to bed. Oh, and this is with a heart rate monitor always ON to check the puls every 5 minutes. The Android Wear is OK, there's room for improvement for sure, but I'm sure 2.0 will be better.

There's a ton of cool watchfaces, but be careful, some of them don't work properly, or could mess up the UI on the watch. If that happens just uninstall the watchface and restart the watch. Happend to me few times until I found what I'm looking (see photo below). I now keep the watch on my wrist at night as well to track my sleep patterns. Once I'm awake, I put a watch on the charger and when I leave to work it's ready for another day.

All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase.

watch-inactive.jpg
watch.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)