Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg.ca

Intel 240GB Enterprise Solid State Drive MLC SATA III 2.5" $100

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2018 9:47 pm
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25737 upvotes
Montreal

Intel 240GB Enterprise Solid State Drive MLC SATA III 2.5" $100

Deal Link:
Price:
$100
Retailer:
Newegg.ca
Model DC S3510

Sold and Shipped by Newegg.ca

Free Shipping but $10 Handling fee... :rolleyes:

Limited Warranty period (parts): 3 years
Limited Warranty period (labor): 3 years

$88 Vuugo I don't know Vuugo and I've never done business with them.

$119 Amazon.ca (Ships from and sold by Mikes Computer Shop)
Last edited by Temporel on Jun 30th, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Nice find.

Though write speed is slow.
Mar 2, 2007
130 posts
24 upvotes
Richmond
The controller is old tech from 2015 (2nd sata3 controller from intel) but the MLC is decent quality ones which Intel specifies it as not consumer grade, yet with standard endurance tech.

It should last longer than your average cheap MLC drives and most if not all TLC drives combine with Intel enterprise level reliability.

Performance wise it is slower than a 840 Evo, Seagate 600, Ocz Arc100 and pretty much on par with old Micron M500 from the same era.
Apr 16, 2017
428 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
Here is an interesting read about how one might leverage an enterprise-grade SSD, and the inherent benefits. This is definitely not for everyone, and there are better consumer-grade drives that will overall be a much better value. But for those that are using this in a FreeNAS server as a slog/caching device, or as the article linked explains, a storage space caching drive, this is a better buy than a consumer drive for sure.

Key things to note from the article, this SSD has...
  • a non-volatile write cache
  • enterprise-class endurance

In addition, Intel enterprise drives come with over twice as much over-provisioning than a consumer intel SSD (7% vs 15%) which helps in the case of endurance. The extra bits are for the drive to use internally in the case of any failures.
May 3, 2006
285 posts
82 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta, Ca…
Heh - that reminds me of the two 20 GB Intel SLC SSDs I bought on a whim 8 years ago. I think I *only* paid $100 for both. I still haven't found a use for them. Slow write speeds, but 100,000 writes (or was it 50,000?) per cell though. They would be perfect for a dash cam, if only they weren't so huge.
Banned
Mar 27, 2018
308 posts
266 upvotes
What is a cheap filler to get the order over $100?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2013
1149 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
I've got a code for $25 off $100. I wasn't planning on using it but if you wanted to buy this off of me for $100 even I'd be down.. works out for both of us.. You save on tax and shipping I make a couple..

I tried giving away the code in another post but apparently it's tied to my account.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
1477 posts
479 upvotes
Warm, it's nice but only if you intend to use it within its designed scope.

Otherwise id choose a much newer consumer drive.

Heck the Intel 545s, with its newer chipset and 3d tlc walks over this performance wise and the endurance is quite decent as well.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
chatbox wrote: Nice find.

Though write speed is slow.
MLC or not this is an "enterprise" drive; and, like many enterprise SSDs the write IOPS are a fraction of what they should be. This isn't slow because it's Intel or because it's "more reliable" or because it's TLC (MLC is faster than TLC most of the time, lol). It's slower because it's an enterprise drive (there are enterprise drives that don't sacrifice write speed but this is not one of them).

If you're using this for regular/home use, it's a better idea to get an SSD so intended, and not a write-crippled "enterprise" drive.
Aug 29, 2012
171 posts
120 upvotes
Ottawa
zinful wrote: Intel is MLC ssd
I think what you are buying with Intel ssd is reliability - not speed
my intel 120gb SSD from 2011 black friday has survived several laptops and is still in use in my daily laptop...
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: MLC or not this is an "enterprise" drive; and, like many enterprise SSDs the write IOPS are a fraction of what they should be. This isn't slow because it's Intel or because it's "more reliable" or because it's TLC (MLC is faster than TLC most of the time, lol). It's slower because it's an enterprise drive (there are enterprise drives that don't sacrifice write speed but this is not one of them).

If you're using this for regular/home use, it's a better idea to get an SSD so intended, and not a write-crippled "enterprise" drive.
I understand, I use them. Hence "nice find". (You're somewhat preaching to the converted, so to speak) ;-)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)