Expired Hot Deals

[Newegg] Intel Core i9-9900K $519.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 4:56 pm
Dec 19, 2006
634 posts
602 upvotes
Vancouver
TDotHacker wrote: I think they might be clearing out some of those chips to make it more competitive. I also think for that price, the new AMD cpu will give 2x as much cores and threads, just by my estimate. So 16 cores 32 threads for roughly the same price. Hopefully an announcement soon.
What on earth is giving you the confidence that AMD is going to price a 16 core cpu for around $500? Just curious if you have heard any sort of rumour that would lead you to guess this.
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2011
5209 posts
1961 upvotes
3express wrote: I wasn't around on these forums back during the AMD Bulldozer days but did everyone crap on AMD back then like they crap on Intel now? Genuinely curious about that.
I am ashamed to admit i had an AMD FX-9590 "Bulldozer". It was pretty bad. For the price.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2012
12 posts
9 upvotes
RagingInferno wrote: I think a lot of people missed what the OP is trying to do. I bet that he is trying to run a Blue Iris server with the 64 camera. And he mentioned live view. To be able to live view and have Blue Iris deal with motion trigger your camera's can eat A LOT of CPU resources. Especially if he has 64 cameras. The reason why he picks Intel is because it has the best H264/H265 hardware decoding compatibility with Blue Iris. So his iGPU can decode all of the cameras signals coming in. Then 8 Core/ 16 threads can focus on displaying all of the 64 cameras in real time to any of the client devices connecting to the server. And I did find that going Intel for the CPU and GPU decoding was least amount of power draw, which does matter since it's on 24/7. Yes you can go AMD cpu and Nvidia GPU. But things are more smother with Intel. I didn't have great luck using a Nvidia GPU for decoding.

I have a i5-8400 running 11 cameras with live view at 15fps (with motion triggers), in the daytime the CPU is constantly at minimum 60% usage. The moment someone logs in and wants view any previous footage, it spikes the CPU usage. And if you want it to be responsive and not have any lost frames in the cameras, you need a lot of available resources.

Would love to buy one... but that's still a lot of $$$
Haha, this was exactly what I was thinking, you read my mind :)
Nov 3, 2010
221 posts
312 upvotes
Niagara Falls
The 10700k was $479ish last week. 10th gen I7 is basically just a newer 9900k, and it was cheaper. $520-$530 is the regular for the 9900k now, so not much of a deal.
Dec 9, 2016
253 posts
158 upvotes
ocisnicola wrote: What on earth is giving you the confidence that AMD is going to price a 16 core cpu for around $500? Just curious if you have heard any sort of rumour that would lead you to guess this.
i also wanna know this
Dec 9, 2016
253 posts
158 upvotes
for real people on here be like wait tor new amd cpu and it will be alot stronger like its gonna be 200$ 300$ or 500$ i will lol at you all if the price is 699$