Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Newegg: Intel X25-M G2 SSD 80GB $259, 160GB $499, Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2009 2:12 am
Dec 26, 2007
498 posts
492 upvotes
Montreal

[Newegg] Newegg: Intel X25-M G2 SSD 80GB $259, 160GB $499, Free Shipping

First place I could find stocks of the new version of the X25-M. 160GB (SSDSA2MH160G2C1) version is in stock, 80GB (SSDSA2MH080G2C1) not yet.

80GB: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6820167016
160GB: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6820167017

These are of course the quicker, cheaper new generation of the X25-M. Double the IOPS, future TRIM support through firmware upgrade, same or lower price per GB than the current competition. More preview info at http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... spx?i=3607 :)

Pity my current G1 won't have TRIM support. I'll buy this G2 for another machine that needs the throughput, but I'm definitely giving my CPU+mobo money to AMD for my next build: if Intel won't support their current customers, I won't support Chipzilla much either. :(

Can anyone find an equivalent Canadian etailer with stock? Price competition is always welcome!
143 replies
Oct 24, 2005
445 posts
68 upvotes
so tempting... hmmmm

80gb is perfect for me...all my apps and games would sit nicely on this..grrr
Jul 4, 2008
460 posts
13 upvotes
Hamilton
I would love to grab a hold of a 160gb... I don't think my wallet would appreciate it though. Don't know how much I could sell my current 2.5" 160GB 7200RPM drive for.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2003
1140 posts
53 upvotes
Burnaby
sequential write speeds are pretty bad though.. still not sure if I should replace my velociraptor with one of these.
I like Maynards Gummies
Nov 10, 2007
407 posts
92 upvotes
bokchoy wrote: sequential write speeds are pretty bad though.. still not sure if I should replace my velociraptor with one of these.
Yeah I'm considering selling my velociraptor for the 80 gig, sequential may not be great, but random speeds don't even come close when compared, and that's most of what it's used for.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2003
1755 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
bokchoy wrote: sequential write speeds are pretty bad though.. still not sure if I should replace my velociraptor with one of these.
for average users, 4k writing speed and access time are most important unless you transfer Gbs of data frequently...

before OCZ Vertex, i've used followings

2x raid 0 raptor 74gb 16mb
2x wd caviar 6400aaks
single velociraptor 150mb

none of this will beat single vertex 30gb...there are pros and cons for SSD but its pros are worth enough to try..

once you experience the instant reaction..oh boy...

i know it is expensive, but if you want speed, it is the solution..
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2003
1755 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
by the way, anandtech has a great article about SSD...how it works, pros and cons...it is very long article but it does make you understand about SSD..

too bad intel not supporting trim for older generation..it is the only way to recover from performance degration over the time
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
now to wait see if ncix will offer better pricing. with all these gift cards i've accumulated from their free shipping offers this will be a great buy.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
MrDisco wrote: now to wait see if ncix will offer better pricing. with all these gift cards i've accumulated from their free shipping offers this will be a great buy.
"Accumulated" .... Why don't you use the GC(s) from the one order to pay for the next order and so on ??
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
willy wrote: "Accumulated" .... Why don't you use the GC(s) from the one order to pay for the next order and so on ??
It just worked out that way.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1037 posts
66 upvotes
Put your old HDs in a server and use 80GB SSDs or smaller for silent boot drives.

Will the G1 version get clear out pricing?

Can G1 and G2 be used in RAID ?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1941 posts
9 upvotes
great performance for 4KB read and write! too bad my computer only supports SATA-I (1.5Gbps)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Considering getting the 80GB as bootdrive. Unless you reinstall your OS every week low sequential write shouldn't be a problem. Just use a good fast big capacity (like a WD Black) for storage.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2322 posts
1546 upvotes
DoneDeal wrote: Can G1 and G2 be used in RAID ?
Yes, you can use them in a RAID array but in order to have TRIM support, the RAID controller driver will have to support TRIM as well as the drive firmware.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4258 posts
1028 upvotes
GTA
Whew. Pulled the trigger on a 160GB. Fantastic pricing!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1140 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Who writes large files to SSDs on a regular basis?

98% of real-life useage is small random reads and writes. In 4kB random reads the SSD is ~90x faster then the velociraptor, with 0.2ms latency vs 17.3ms for the WD. For writes the SSD is ~20x faster.

The WD might win in a theoretical benchmark race, but the SSD will crush it in real-world performance.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2003
1755 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
bokchoy wrote: I'm talking about uncompressing or copying large 700mb+ files.. wouldn't that still be better with the raptor?

I think i will wait - check this out http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3608
you basically don't understand why ppl buying SSD...SSD is not for copying or unzipping large files...it is basically OS drive..there is no HARD DRIVE will match SSD's access time and 4k randome writing..

i personally use vertex as OS and programs only and 2x 650gb WD harddrives for storage, transfering, unzipping and zipping..

the only reason velociraptor feels faster than other 7200rpm is its access time...average 11ms of 7200rpm vs average 6ms of velociraptor....sequential write speed is physically maxed unless it will spin like 20k RPM.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
bokchoy wrote: I'm talking about uncompressing or copying large 700mb+ files.. wouldn't that still be better with the raptor?
That may be true, but the bigger question is why would anyone use this drive as their primary work drive? The way I see it the SSD is the right drive for the OS and perhaps some primary applications. Data should go on a regular HD. In my opinion anyway.