Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

Kingston A400 240GB SSD - $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2019 9:24 pm
14 replies
Sep 29, 2010
727 posts
1085 upvotes
Just a heads up: this is often goes on sale on Amazon for the same price, but Amazon ships free after $35, Newegg does not - save the $3.99 if you can, and wait for it to be on sale on Amazon.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1759 posts
1872 upvotes
Toronto
This SSD has high failure rate and shouldn't be used for your main drive.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32142 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
meepsheep wrote: This SSD has high failure rate and shouldn't be used for your main drive.
Wha?
Got some links?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1759 posts
1872 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: Wha?
Got some links?
I worked at computer store. Kingston and Adata SSDs come in for RMA the most out of every brand. Samsung was the least RMA'd.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32142 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
meepsheep wrote: I worked at computer store. Kingston and Adata SSDs come in for RMA the most out of every brand. Samsung was the least RMA'd.
Damn
One thing i often wondered is if there is data recovery possible on an SSD. I have everything backed up of course but i know about expensive recovery services for HDs but wondered since solid state is just a bunch of chips if its just gone its gone?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1759 posts
1872 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: Damn
One thing i often wondered is if there is data recovery possible on an SSD. I have everything backed up of course but i know about expensive recovery services for HDs but wondered since solid state is just a bunch of chips if its just gone its gone?
Nah lol it's pretty much dead. For hard drives, it's possible since it's physical but SSD, when it dies, it's poof.

I recommend these cheaper Kingstons as a scratch disk (for photo/video editing temporary files) or just for Windows, cuz you can reinstall it easily.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32142 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
meepsheep wrote: Nah lol it's pretty much dead. For hard drives, it's possible since it's physical but SSD, when it dies, it's poof.
Not surprised
I recommend these cheaper Kingstons as a scratch disk (for photo/video editing temporary files) or just for Windows, cuz you can reinstall it easily.
You can but i find its a lot of downtime and it things always fail when your busy and have important deadlines.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1759 posts
1872 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: You can but i find its a lot of downtime and it things always fail when your busy and have important deadlines.
I always have backups and I work on the cloud sometimes just in case!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32142 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
meepsheep wrote: I always have backups and I work on the cloud sometimes just in case!
I do regular backups as well but of my stored data, the windows SSD drive was not too happy when i tried to back it up.
I assume there is software that can backup and clone the drive since it would also have to have to be made bootable, i'd have to make time to research and test it.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1759 posts
1872 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: I do regular backups as well but of my stored data, the windows SSD drive was not too happy when i tried to back it up.
I assume there is software that can backup and clone the drive since it would also have to have to be made bootable, i'd have to make time to research and test it.
Macrium Reflect is what I use for cloning. It's awesome and free. The technicians are my old workplace used it too.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32142 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
meepsheep wrote: Macrium Reflect is what I use for cloning. It's awesome and free. The technicians are my old workplace used it too.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out
Sep 29, 2010
727 posts
1085 upvotes
meepsheep wrote: I worked at computer store. Kingston and Adata SSDs come in for RMA the most out of every brand. Samsung was the least RMA'd.
Not disagreeing, but I have these in a lot of my machines, and none have died yet. Maybe I'm lucky?
Oct 31, 2010
587 posts
1308 upvotes
Montreal
I have used different brands of SSDs and the Kingston was the only one to fail, and that was under very light use.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
meepsheep wrote: This SSD has high failure rate and shouldn't be used for your main drive.
TFW many of your deployed admin machines are using this exact drive...

I'll take the L on a 1 in 20 going down inside 2 years.

These machines were a steal.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.