[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2011
4152 posts
9743 upvotes
Quebec

[Newegg] Mpow Universal Grip Magic Mobile Phone Air Vent -- 6,93$ + FS

Deal Link:
In my opinion, every intervention in RFD deserve a "thanks". Thanks given until now: more than 100,000

Giving "Likes" gives cancer.... Don't do it!!!!
12 replies
Aug 21, 2005
369 posts
237 upvotes
North York, ON
So basically, if your phone doesn't have a metal backing, you have to have this metal plate stuck to the back of your phone for the mount to work, right?
Jul 18, 2006
731 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
smd wrote: So basically, if your phone doesn't have a metal backing, you have to have this metal plate stuck to the back of your phone for the mount to work, right?
That is correct. Although you should probably do it to your case. It will leave a residue that will be tough to scrub out
Aug 21, 2005
369 posts
237 upvotes
North York, ON
antime1 wrote: That is correct. Although you should probably do it to your case. It will leave a residue that will be tough to scrub out
I don't use a case on my phone. Thanks for the info though. Too bad, since this seems like a better solution than the mounts that sick to your windshield.
Sep 5, 2007
408 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Reading the reviews shows that the item is actually arriving from China and not a close by Newegg warehouse.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2007
1349 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have any issues with this affecting their GPS? Specifically with a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge phone?
Mar 7, 2005
796 posts
254 upvotes
I have a similar unit that I used with a Samsung Galaxy S6 (with a case on it). The magnet was okay, but the phone would tend to fall after a while (twist/turn/and eventually slip). I'm not crazy on the corners, but also am not a Sunday driver. My phone recently broke (work phone) and I'm now using an iPhone 5s...smaller size so seems to stay put a bit better.
To be honest, if I had to do it all over again, I'd rather get a mount that physically grips the phone and can twist to either be in portrait or landscape mode (I prefer landscape for GPS).

I honestly haven't tried the GPS functionality, but I don't see why magnets would affect it. It's either satellite or more likely assisted GPS (cell phone tower triangulation), so nothing to do with magnets. Maybe I'm wrong.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2007
1349 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
to_vento wrote: I have a similar unit that I used with a Samsung Galaxy S6 (with a case on it). The magnet was okay, but the phone would tend to fall after a while (twist/turn/and eventually slip). I'm not crazy on the corners, but also am not a Sunday driver. My phone recently broke (work phone) and I'm now using an iPhone 5s...smaller size so seems to stay put a bit better.
To be honest, if I had to do it all over again, I'd rather get a mount that physically grips the phone and can twist to either be in portrait or landscape mode (I prefer landscape for GPS).

I honestly haven't tried the GPS functionality, but I don't see why magnets would affect it. It's either satellite or more likely assisted GPS (cell phone tower triangulation), so nothing to do with magnets. Maybe I'm wrong.
I find that it's all dependent on the case for how strong it holds. I have 2 different cases and it seems one is slightly thicker than the other and I keep the little square piece between the case and the phone (so I don't have to stick it directly to the phone). The one with the slightly thicker case doesn't stick as strongly compared to the other thinner one. The thinner one definitely stays in place. I guess b/c it's meant to be stuck directly to your phone or case and have direct contact to the magnet, it will definitely be a little looser when using it between the case and the phone.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5797 upvotes
Burlington
smd wrote: So basically, if your phone doesn't have a metal backing, you have to have this metal plate stuck to the back of your phone for the mount to work, right?
This should come with 2 metal plates to be taped onto the back of your phone.

At least mine did, when i bought from amazon US
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2007
1349 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote: This should come with 2 metal plates to be taped onto the back of your phone.

At least mine did, when i bought from amazon US
Mine did as well...a square and a circular one. bought from ebay and it arrived from China 2 months later.