• Jan 26th, 2021 6:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
4050 posts
2603 upvotes
Toronto

[Newegg] MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi Motherboard - $269.00

It was $259.99 last week on Newegg Ebay with free shipping, but for those that missed that deal, it's $20 more and still cheaper than anywhere else at the moment:

https://www.newegg.ca/msi-mag-x570-toma ... 6813144310
Supports 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen / Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen with Radeon Graphics Desktop Processors for Socket AM4
Supports DDR4 Memory, up to 4600 MHz
Lightning Fast Game experience: PCIe 4.0, Lightning Gen4 x4 M.2 with M.2 Shield Frozr, StoreMI, AMD Turbo USB 3.2 Gen 2
Frozr Heatsink Design: Designed with the patented fan and double ball bearings to provide the best performance for enthusiast gamers and prosumers.
Set Core Power Free: Extended Heatsink Design, Core Boost, Digital PWM IC, 8+4 pin CPU power connectors, Game Boost, DDR4 Boost
Last edited by TomRFD on Jan 26th, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
15 replies
Dec 2, 2013
67 posts
53 upvotes
Beware, I've got an MSI MPG-X570-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-WIFI and the update delivery and available software is so shitty I wouldn't buy another MSI product. Price point might be there, but support sucks.
Sep 5, 2010
834 posts
233 upvotes
Gig has hotdog water on board audio. Go with Asus or MSI
Jan 10, 2018
251 posts
744 upvotes
I bought this motherboard during the Newegg sale last week. I read up on it quite a bit, and as Omerta1911 said, MSI's past few motherboards have been terrible. They seem to have redeemed themselves with the X570 Tomahawk though. I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but reviews and reddit posts look promising.
Last edited by Shady67 on Jan 21st, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 4, 2016
8 posts
48 upvotes
My experience with MSI was not that great. I had to RMA my board 1 year in. Mind you they were able to return it in 3 weeks but I'd likely never buy an MSI product ever again.
Sep 17, 2019
4 posts
11 upvotes
This motherboard is excellent. Any quick search and you'll find plenty of excellent reviews on youtube about how good it is, in part because MSI was trying to make up for its other crappy 570 boards. I didn't get this on sale but am extremely pleased with its power and temp management on my OC'd 5600x and 3070.
Jul 29, 2013
44 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary
I've had this board for a month and you're getting a decent board that OC's well with good thermals and VRM.

I will say this is a no frills board. You're getting a bare bones x570 board with very little features as compared to Asus rog (what I'm coming from).

The onboard audio is pretty garbage.

The bios update process is atrocious compared to other boards (update via a usb stick in a seperate process outside of the bios or OS???? WTF).

The options in the bios are limited as compared to the number of options in an Asus bios - this is not just for board options but cpu options and memory when overclocking.

All that being said - there are good things. The board is FAST. I can boot from cold to windows in under 10s. That's including POST - sn750 nvme.

It's less headache to post when changing swapping parts (rog boards need multiple reboots for some reason or a bios clear to POST).

The thermals are phenomenal. This thing can be pushed.

It comes with m.2 heatspreaders which is a nice bonus.

As for longevity that's up for debate.

For the price to performance - this board is tough to beat. Just don't expect to have all the bells and whistles from other boards.

It's a well reviewed board and I can see why based off price to performance.
Last edited by NickL645 on Jan 21st, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 9, 2014
40 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
Get the Threadripper, much better than Ryzen...I can't go back.
Nov 20, 2013
66 posts
98 upvotes
My experience with MSI was not that great. I had to RMA my board 1 year in. Mind you they were able to return it in 3 weeks but I'd likely never buy an MSI product ever again.
I have a MSI Z97 mobo since 5yr without any issues... very satisfied
Mar 29, 2007
111 posts
180 upvotes
Originally had a Gigabyte Aorus Pro WIFI when I built my system last year. It died after 11 months of use. Had no issues but just would not post one day. Immediately bought the X570 Tomahawk to get my system up and running again. Gigabyte RMA took 2 months and they sent the board back saying they could find no issues. Literally all I did was install the MSI and the system booted with no problem. Last gigabyte board I will ever buy. If you search the New Egg reviews for that board (REV 1.0) they are not good.

The MSI board worked but system was not stable. Granted I did not re-install windows at first as I needed to getup ASAP. I was getting constant BSOD and little information to go on from the DMP and Event logs. Eventually decided to wipe and reinstall Windows 10, despite this still had constant issues with the system. After a lot of research did 2 things that finally helped:

1. DO NOT install the MSI Dragon Center software. Piece of garbage.
  2. Overclock the board. I have a 3600X and no interest in overclocking. As soon as I turned on the overclock option and XMP profile the system became stable. It's been 3 months now and not one BSOD. I think this board is very aggressive undervolting to save power when you try and run silent or stock speed.

Since making those changes the system has been running great. Only beef with the MSI board is I wish it had more USB ports instead of the stupid PS/2 port (it's 2020 why???) and the stupid location for the WIFI antennas. Gigabytes WIFI antenna is a better design in my opinion.
Mar 10, 2015
92 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
InthaBrain wrote: I have a MSI Z97 mobo since 5yr without any issues... very satisfied
same. msi gaming 5 z97 mobo for 6 years now. great.
Oct 1, 2020
3 posts
soccer29 wrote: same. msi gaming 5 z97 mobo for 6 years now. great.
msi B350 Tomahawk. 3.5 years running OC, not a single issue. The Live Update program works well to keep MB drivers up to date. BIOS updates done via M-FLASH which is pain free.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1118 posts
563 upvotes
Markham
feiya200 wrote: Get the Threadripper, much better than Ryzen...I can't go back.
Yeah. If only the entry TRX40 cpu (3960x) didn't start at $1900 CAD...
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4981 posts
1359 upvotes
Kitchener
If I buy this I'm gonna want a 2.5Gbs switch, then 2.5Gbs router, 2.5Gbs NAS... Money-mouth FaceMoney-mouth Face

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)